misc. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : misc.

Slosh
10-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Been a while since I've participated here at all so I thought I'd throw this out there for what it's worth (not much).

Picked up the Lucinda Williams Live In Austin Tx DVD yesterday. This was taken from a Dec. '98 Austin City Limits show and surprisingly to no one fully ten of the sixteen songs are from Car Wheels On A Gravel Road. Excellent performance. Talk about a tight band, it sounds like they could easily record an entire studio album in one take. ACL does an exceptional job with their current series in high definition but this was recorded back when they were still doing standard definition broadcasts so the DVD is just 4:3 aspect ratio and the video quality isn't anything special (overly compressed, in fact). The main reason I grabbed this disc is because there is a DTS track. While the sonics are pretty decent whoever did the surround mix shouldn't be allowed back in the studio ever again. All they did was take the front channels and add them to the surrounds with summed mono in the center channel ala "5 channel stereo". Blech! There is a stereo track but it's Dolby Digital which is a poor format for music reproduction IMO. Luckily for me my DVD player allows me to take the DTS track and convert it to stereo PCM at the digital output and then let my pre/pro play it back in stereo or one of the DSPs. I think I'll convert this to a CD-R this weekend so I can listen to it in the car. All in all though I still think this DVD is worth buying, after all, it's the performance that matters the most and there isn't much to fault here. BTW, is it just me or does Lucinda look like Vyvyan's mom from The Young Ones? ;) ("Well, what are mums for?" "I don't know. Having babies?")

I'm also three spins into Rogue Wave's new one, Descended Like Vultures. It's more fleshed out than their somewhat sparse (but very good) Out Of The Shadows album. Lots more synth and electric guitar this time around but still with their usual catchy hooks, making them sound more like their own band and not like some second-rate Shins. Good stuff.

Been spinning American Analog Set's latest a bunch too. At first I thought it sounded a little too much like their previous album but now I'm liking it more. The songs sound more finished here whereas some of their previous songs were more like song fragments and not completed works. If you haven't heard AmAnSet I'd say take one part Death Cab For Cutie, add a healthy serving of Pinback, and just a pinch of Yo La Tengo and there's your meal.

Hmmm, what else? Wolf Parade, Richmond Fountaine, Mountain Goats, The National, The Hold Steady, Eleventh Dream Day, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah . . .meh. All have their moments but I don't see myself picking up any of their other stuff any time soon. OTOH, Calexico/Iron & Wine In The Reins just keeps getting better and better. A must have for those about to twang :)

Davey
10-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Hmmm, what else? Richmond Fountaine, Mountain Goats, The National . . .meh. All have their moments but I don't see myself picking up any of their other stuff any time soon.
Meh. A few good moments talking about Lucinda, but mostly just another drone in my head ;)

Hey, Amanset does have a lot of hidden beauty in those guitars. They know how to set a mood and keep you there. Sometimes for too long, but they've got my respect. Love that shimmer they get in the sound. Pinback could use a bit more shimmer, but that might bring them too close to Amanset. It's a fine line.

Yea, those three above are some of my favorites this year, but I did kind of force them up there by repeated listening. None of them knocked me out at first. Same with the one I'm listening to right now, the totally charming Leaders of the Free World by Elbow. Man, I do love this album. Way too compressed like most UK pop, but just freakin' gorgeous stuff. Easy top 10 for me.

And a couple Sam Adams on the side. Wish it was something more exotic, maybe some Samuel Smith's Pale Ale instead, but it'll do. Good to see your sorry ass back around here Sloshy. Haven't seen the hit and run Snowmonkey lately, have you?

Slosh
10-30-2005, 04:09 AM
Yea, those three above are some of my favorites this year, but I did kind of force them up there by repeated listening. None of them knocked me out at first. Same with the one I'm listening to right now, the totally charming Leaders of the Free World by Elbow. Man, I do love this album. Way too compressed like most UK pop, but just freakin' gorgeous stuff. Easy top 10 for me.
I'm gonna have to try me some Elbow. Don't have any of their albums but do have half a dozen or so songs on various comps and I like them all. Should I start with the latest?

BTW, I did make a CD-R copy of the Lucinda DVD and it sounds great. There is actually some real dynamic range here for a change. I guess it should come as no suprise that Lucinda's vocals are mixed way out front. Didn't expect them to be louder than the drums, though.

Bernd
10-30-2005, 04:15 AM
Hi,
I would start with "Asleep in the back"

Enjoy

Bernd

Davey
10-30-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm gonna have to try me some Elbow. Don't have any of their albums but do have half a dozen or so songs on various comps and I like them all. Should I start with the latest?

I would start with "Asleep in the back"

Id tend to agree with Bernd, but the new one is very nice and actually maybe a more cohesive album as a whole. The first one had a surprisingly good flow considering much of was assembled from EPs they had put out over the prior few years, although I think they did re-record them for the album. In any case, it's more easily likeable. I only just got a copy of the second one along with this latest so haven't digested that yet. Lots of mixed opinions, but you can't really go wrong with any of them. Just depends on how patient a listener you are ;)

BTW, I did make a CD-R copy of the Lucinda DVD and it sounds great. There is actually some real dynamic range here for a change. I guess it should come as no suprise that Lucinda's vocals are mixed way out front. Didn't expect them to be louder than the drums, though.
Hehehe, yea, you can always tell when (and which) band member had a hand in the engineering, eh? Has her voice got some nice bits of gravel on this one? That's how I like it the best. I've seen a couple shows where her voice seemed a little different. Don't know now how consistent the sound is.

Slosh
10-30-2005, 08:25 AM
I'd tend to agree with Bernd, but the new one is very nice and actually maybe a more cohesive album as a whole. The first one had a surprisingly good flow considering much of was assembled from EPs they had put out over the prior few years, although I think they did re-record them for the album. Lots of mixed opinions, but you can't really go wrong with any of themThat settles it then, whichever album I come across on vinyl first will be the one. :cool:

Hehehe, yea, you can always tell when (and which) band member had a hand in the engineering, eh? Has her voice got some nice bits of gravel on this one? That's how I like it the best.Some of the bluesier tracks like "Changed The Locks" and "Disgusted" and "Joy" have a bit of bite in them but over all she's more sweet than sultry here (at least compared to the studio albums).
Don't know now how consistent the sound is. I have a feeling you'll soon find out! ;)

NP: Okkervil River - Black Sheep Monkeyboy

Audio Girl
10-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Been a while since I've participated here at all so I thought I'd throw this out there for what it's worth (not much).

Picked up the Lucinda Williams Live In Austin Tx DVD yesterday. This was taken from a Dec. '98 Austin City Limits show and surprisingly to no one fully ten of the sixteen songs are from Car Wheels On A Gravel Road. Excellent performance. Talk about a tight band, it sounds like they could easily record an entire studio album in one take. ACL does an exceptional job with their current series in high definition but this was recorded back when they were still doing standard definition broadcasts so the DVD is just 4:3 aspect ratio and the video quality isn't anything special (overly compressed, in fact). The main reason I grabbed this disc is because there is a DTS track. While the sonics are pretty decent whoever did the surround mix shouldn't be allowed back in the studio ever again. All they did was take the front channels and add them to the surrounds with summed mono in the center channel ala "5 channel stereo". Blech! There is a stereo track but it's Dolby Digital which is a poor format for music reproduction IMO. Luckily for me my DVD player allows me to take the DTS track and convert it to stereo PCM at the digital output and then let my pre/pro play it back in stereo or one of the DSPs. I think I'll convert this to a CD-R this weekend so I can listen to it in the car. All in all though I still think this DVD is worth buying, after all, it's the performance that matters the most and there isn't much to fault here. BTW, is it just me or does Lucinda look like Vyvyan's mom from The Young Ones? ;) ("Well, what are mums for?" "I don't know. Having babies?")

I'm also three spins into Rogue Wave's new one, Descended Like Vultures. It's more fleshed out than their somewhat sparse (but very good) Out Of The Shadows album. Lots more synth and electric guitar this time around but still with their usual catchy hooks, making them sound more like their own band and not like some second-rate Shins. Good stuff.

Been spinning American Analog Set's latest a bunch too. At first I thought it sounded a little too much like their previous album but now I'm liking it more. The songs sound more finished here whereas some of their previous songs were more like song fragments and not completed works. If you haven't heard AmAnSet I'd say take one part Death Cab For Cutie, add a healthy serving of Pinback, and just a pinch of Yo La Tengo and there's your meal.

Hmmm, what else? Wolf Parade, Richmond Fountaine, Mountain Goats, The National, The Hold Steady, Eleventh Dream Day, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah . . .meh. All have their moments but I don't see myself picking up any of their other stuff any time soon. OTOH, Calexico/Iron & Wine In The Reins just keeps getting better and better. A must have for those about to twang :)

Hi, Slosheroo! Good to see you post...funny you mention Lucinda Williams "Car Wheels..." We recently moved, and I finally got the 2-channel setup going yesterday. Car Wheels was one of the first ceedees I dug out and put in the old player. I hadn't listened to it in almost a year, and had forgotten what a classic that CD is. In fact, I popped it back in around 1:00 a.m., and had a 2nd listen. Played "Essence" too but I just don't think that release was as good as "Car Wheels" nor anything that she has released since. I saw her in Dallas when she opened for Neil Young's "Greendale" tour...she was phenomenal in concert. IMHO, she bettered old Neil. But I was not a Greendale fan, and just didn't bond with it.

Anyway, what's new in your world?

Ag

Davey
11-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Picked up the Lucinda Williams Live In Austin Tx DVD yesterday. This was taken from a Dec. '98 Austin City Limits show and surprisingly to no one fully ten of the sixteen songs are from Car Wheels On A Gravel Road. Excellent performance. Talk about a tight band, it sounds like they could easily record an entire studio album in one take.
Holy Crap, Sloshman! No lie! This thing ****in' rules! Thanks! Still kicking myself for missing her show at the Mountain Winery here this past summer :mad:

Who's heard the new live SF Fillmore CD or LP set from 2003?

Supposed to be a Richard Thompson and a Son Volt ACL DVD coming out too. Maybe already out.

NP: The way you move is right in time, the way you move is right in time, it's right in time with me

Slosh
11-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Who's heard the new live SF Fillmore CD or LP set from 2003?
I think JDaniel mentioned being kinda disappointed with it in the most recent TueRoThread. I guess the DVD will be enough live Lucinda for me. That 5.1 DTS track folded down quite nicely to PCM, eh?

Looked for some Elbow today with no luck so grabbed the Pinback s/t instead and it's damn good! Played that a couple of times so far and Beet and Spelled In Bones and The Mysterious Production Of Eggs and Descended Like Vultures and that Texas punk album, A Series Of Sneaks, and a bit of !!! for good measure. Just one of those days that I couldn't make myself stop playing music :)

MindGoneHaywire
11-05-2005, 06:26 PM
The Austin City Limits DVDs, I've seen a few more have come out recently: Son Volt, the aforementioned Lucinda Williams & Richard Thompson, John Hiatt, Eric Johnson, the Texas Tornados, and Dwight Yoakum. Eric Johnson? The guitar hero guy? I wouldn't have thought of him as an Austin City Limits performer, at least not prior to them putting artists like the Flaming Lips on, but what do I know.

I had gotten the Steve Earle DVD awhile back & it was pretty good, but a little odd to watch: it was from 1986, and I'm not crazy about the band, Earle's dressed a bit goofy, and while the tunes are great, it seems a bit forced. I haven't had a chance to check out the Lucinda Williams one yet, but the Richard Thompson one...well, I'm not a big fan of his to begin with, but even so, it's just a bit dry. Seems like CDs would be a better bet. And now there are CD versions of these shows as well. I saw a copy of the Steve Earle show; and now I've seen CDs of the Yoakum, Johnson, & Hiatt sets. Can't comment because I haven't heard 'em, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy the Lucinda DVD more so than the more recent double-live CD, which just didn't thrill me for some reason. I've got to give that another spin, though...first, however, I'm going to check out some more of this June Carter Cash 2-CD collection, which so far is excellent. And after that, this recent Johnny Cash 4-CD box is lined up...was that really a necessary release? I don't know...I've had the Columbia 3-CD box for years, and the one I wanted to get my hands on was the Love, God, Murder set. But, who's complaining?