Anybody have any idea what "Landslide" is about... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have any idea what "Landslide" is about...

Audio Girl
10-28-2005, 09:01 PM
This is one of my all-time favorite songs by Stevie Nicks but have never read the details what this song is really about? Anybody have the "inside" scoop. On one of the live versions (from "The Dance"), she opens it with, "And this ones for you, Daddy"...

Sign me "curious"!

Davey
10-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Yea, I think at the time it was mostly about her and Lindsey, up in Aspen and at that point in her relationship and career, snow all around that could come down at anytime, that kind of symbolism, but it probably grew into more than that over the years like so many songs do. I think her dad might've been ill at the time too. Really is a nice song...the Dixie Chicks version is pretty bad, have you heard that?

Nicks: "My Dad did have something to do with it, but he absolutely thinks that he was the whole complete reason it was ever written. I guess it was about September 1974, I was home at my Dad and Mom's house in Phoenix, and my father said, 'You know, you really put a lot of time into this [her singing career], maybe you should give this six more months, and if you want to go back to school, we'll pay for it. Basically you can do whatever you want and we'll pay for it - I have wonderful parents, and I went, 'cool, I can do that.' Lindsey and I went up to Aspen, and we went to somebody's incredible house, and they had a piano, and I had my guitar with me, and I went into their living room, looking out over the incredible Aspen skyway, and I wrote "Landslide." Three months later, Mick Fleetwood called. On New Year's Eve, 1974, called and asked us to join Fleetwood Mac. So it was three months, I still had three more months to go to beat my six month goal that my dad gave me."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2083&

Snowbunny
10-30-2005, 01:29 AM
WTH! Ancient minds think alike, eh? Did you get your jack'o latern from a girl named Kitty, too? :D

Geoffcin
10-30-2005, 04:47 AM

That website is really cool!

Davey
10-30-2005, 10:48 AM
WTH! Ancient minds think alike, eh?
Ancient? I prefer to think of myself as a traveller in quondam times, on the way to god don't know, my brain's the burger and my heart's the coal...

Did you get your jack'o latern from a girl named Kitty, too?
Mine came anonymously, but I kind of like the idea of getting it from a girl named Kitty. Connection? Any extra tricks or treats?

:p

Audio Girl
10-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Yea, I think at the time it was mostly about her and Lindsey, up in Aspen and at that point in her relationship and career, snow all around that could come down at anytime, that kind of symbolism, but it probably grew into more than that over the years like so many songs do. I think her dad might've been ill at the time too. Really is a nice song...the Dixie Chicks version is pretty bad, have you heard that?

Nicks: "My Dad did have something to do with it, but he absolutely thinks that he was the whole complete reason it was ever written. I guess it was about September 1974, I was home at my Dad and Mom's house in Phoenix, and my father said, 'You know, you really put a lot of time into this [her singing career], maybe you should give this six more months, and if you want to go back to school, we'll pay for it. Basically you can do whatever you want and we'll pay for it - I have wonderful parents, and I went, 'cool, I can do that.' Lindsey and I went up to Aspen, and we went to somebody's incredible house, and they had a piano, and I had my guitar with me, and I went into their living room, looking out over the incredible Aspen skyway, and I wrote "Landslide." Three months later, Mick Fleetwood called. On New Year's Eve, 1974, called and asked us to join Fleetwood Mac. So it was three months, I still had three more months to go to beat my six month goal that my dad gave me."

Dave, thank you so much for replying. I should have know you would be "in the know" on this one! :-) That is a really cool website...how do you find such interesting sites?

I cannot stand the Dixie Chicks version...it is pretty pathetic. But, I have downloaded every version with Stevie Nicks on lead vocal. My favorite is from "The Dance", although there is a stunning acoustic version that can be downloaded from iTunes.

I recently communicated with an old boyfriend, in fact we were engaged when we were dumb and very, very young. Thank the Lord that marriage never took place. Anyway, he mentioned that "Landslide" is the song that always makes him think of me. I thought that was kind of sweet that he remembered how much that song meant to me. :-)

Thanks again!