Bose & Harleys? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bose & Harleys?

GMichael
10-28-2005, 10:28 AM
OK, maybe this doesn't belong in the steel cage but it could end up being hot. So here goes.

Do Bose lovers also love Harley's? Do Bose haters hate Harley's? Or is it the other way around? Maybe it's neither.

Both seem to sell more on their name and marketing than on actual performance.

mixadude
10-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Never owned a Bose, sold the HD...

GMichael
10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Anyone seeing a trend here?

markw
10-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Anyone seeing a trend here?Posts like this simply prove to me that this whole forum is becoming more and more useless day by the day. That's why I rarely post here anymore. From the number of new post a on a daily basis, I'd say I'm not alone in that opinion

GMichael
10-28-2005, 12:02 PM
So sorry. Hope you'll fogive a guy for having a little fun.

cam
10-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Posts like this simply prove to me that this whole forum is becoming more and more useless day by the day. That's why I rarely post here anymore. From the number of new post a on a daily basis, I'd say I'm not alone in that opinion
I still like this forum but you are right, this site just doesn't have the action it once had. If you check all the new threads on a daily basis you will notice there are very few. Over at Audioholics there is alot more action with alot of great extra info by Clint and Gene. I think if you started at Audioreview like I did you will always check it out and stay as a member, but if you started at Audioholics, Audioreview just has nothing like Audioholics has to persuade you to join.

No disrespect to any member of this site, because I plan on staying one, but Audioholics has the edge IMHO.

I just wanted to add, Audioholics has more threads and posts then Audioreview, all with less members.

markw
10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
I still like this forum but you are right, this site just doesn't have the action it once had. If you check all the new threads on a daily basis you will notice there are very few. Over at Audioholics there is alot more action with alot of great extra info by Clint and Gene. I think if you started at Audioreview like I did you will always check it out and stay as a member, but if you started at Audioholics, Audioreview just has nothing like Audioholics has to persuade you to join.

No disrespect to any member of this site, because I plan on staying one, but Audioholics has the edge IMHO.

I just wanted to add, Audioholics has more threads and posts then Audioreview, all with less members.....and the decline here is almost heartbreaking. I guess it proves you can't go home again. Either that, or this site hasn't grown with the times..

Florian
10-28-2005, 08:09 PM
!Upcoming rant!

The decline is because its the same old bull**** day by day.

Noob = I have 200 bucks and i am looking for a kick ass speaker!
Regular = Buy a B&W, Paradigm, Axiom, or build yourself one
Flo = Forget all this crap, save your money and upgrade to a serious system
Noob and Regular = Shut up Flo, you spoiled bastard!
Flo = You shut up, and your hotglue speakers. Real equipment takes some money
Noob and Regular = Thats your problem, if its expensive it has to be good.
Flo = I give up, a 200 boom box wont touch a high end system
Everyone = Yeah right, you get less when you pay more

Where are the kick ass discussions? Where are the people that are INTO this hobby? Who polishes their records? Who is trying DACS, cables and moves their speakers inch by inch? Who plays with room acoustics? Who listens to different speaker cables? Where are the DEQX, digital EQ guys? Why doesnt our damn planar section get some attention? Where the hell is my edit button and why does the site owner not reply to my requests?

Its always the same old kiss your ass style stuff on this forum. Get some action in here for gods sake! Hell i dont agree with the recommendations, i cant stand B&W, AudioNote, the little HotGlue Minimonitors or the morons that think a 70$ active speaker will give them a fullrange sound. Dammit, where are the High HIFI people in these days? All listening to rap music on their ****ty 200$ All in one boom box in bloddy Circuit City?

PS: I still like most of you guys in this forum. But we NEED more REAL members who speak their mind instead of this ass kissing, Mrs. i am pleasing everyone style crap.

END

Geoffcin
10-29-2005, 04:41 AM

I just wanted to add, Audioholics has more threads and posts then Audioreview, all with less members.

Is there something that's missing at AR besides the flame wars that this place was famous for?

Geoffcin
10-29-2005, 04:45 AM
!Upcoming rant!

Its always the same old kiss your ass style stuff on this forum. Get some action in here for gods sake! Hell i dont agree with the recommendations, i cant stand B&W, AudioNote, the little HotGlue Minimonitors or the morons that think a 70$ active speaker will give them a fullrange sound. Dammit, where are the High HIFI people in these days? All listening to rap music on their ****ty 200$ All in one boom box in bloddy Circuit City?

END

You'll pop a ribbon if you keep going like that.....

Florian
10-29-2005, 04:46 AM
Hey your still a moderator, gratulations !

I dont think anyone came for the flame wars, but they came for good discussions and opposite opinions which now are pretty much banned.

Cheers

Florian
10-29-2005, 04:47 AM
You'll pop a ribbon if you keep going like that.....
I don't think so, its in the STEEL CAGE

shokhead
10-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Dumb question. Never heard them talked about in the same breath. HD went through sh$t times with AMF but again they are a hell of a motorcycle.

Geoffcin
10-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Hey your still a moderator, gratulations !

I dont think anyone came for the flame wars, but they came for good discussions and opposite opinions which now are pretty much banned.

Cheers

Good discussions don't start with you telling people that they own "Ikea built-with-a glue-gun crap"

NOTHING is banned here except crude behavior, and even that's allowed, as you point out, in the "STEEL CAGE" forum. I'm glad to see that you're still here enjoying it. ;)

Florian
10-29-2005, 06:01 AM
Good discussions don't start with you telling people that they own "Ikea built-with-a glue-gun crap"

NOTHING is banned here except crude behavior, and even that's allowed, as you point out, in the "STEEL CAGE" forum. I'm glad to see that you're still here enjoying it. ;)^

Well of course i enjoy it here, its quite amusing. Actually in the last 48 hrs i collected 3 phone numbers and helped them all with questions about some really cool gear. Besided, i didnt tell him that his speakers are made from Hot Glue, i just put up a fake conversation that is incredible close to the real thing :p

Cheers

Flo

JohnMichael
10-29-2005, 10:33 AM
!Upcoming rant!

The decline is because its the same old bull**** day by day.

Noob = I have 200 bucks and i am looking for a kick ass speaker!
Regular = Buy a B&W, Paradigm, Axiom, or build yourself one
Flo = Forget all this crap, save your money and upgrade to a serious system
Noob and Regular = Shut up Flo, you spoiled bastard!
Flo = You shut up, and your hotglue speakers. Real equipment takes some money
Noob and Regular = Thats your problem, if its expensive it has to be good.
Flo = I give up, a 200 boom box wont touch a high end system
Everyone = Yeah right, you get less when you pay more

Where are the kick ass discussions? Where are the people that are INTO this hobby? Who polishes their records? Who is trying DACS, cables and moves their speakers inch by inch? Who plays with room acoustics? Who listens to different speaker cables? Where are the DEQX, digital EQ guys? Why doesnt our damn planar section get some attention? Where the hell is my edit button and why does the site owner not reply to my requests?

PS: I still like most of you guys in this forum. But we NEED more REAL members who speak their mind instead of this ass kissing, Mrs. i am pleasing everyone style crap.

END

I know what you mean when you try to talk about speaker and interconnect cables sounding differently with different components. I learned early on to give advice only to those who can tell a difference between wires or at least admit they will react differently with different components. I own speaker and interconnects from 4 different manufacturers and sometimes a combination of brands works best. I lean more toward solid core cables. I work very hard to position my speakers in my room to the point of measuring their position and recording it so I do not lose my mind if I try a slight change and it is not as good. I have all my components isolated either by solid cones or soft vibration absorbing products. I have modified my turntable with arm rewire, machined metal subplatter and Ringmat platter mat. I have added felt for tweeter diffraction control. All this helps my NHT SuperOnes sound their best and the hot glue is still holding. LOL Keep ranting!

Florian
10-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah! JM knows what i am talking about. :cool:

So who else is INTO this hobby and can tell some storys and crazy ass experiments?

-Flo

cam
10-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Is there something that's missing at AR besides the flame wars that this place was famous for?Hey Geoff, I can't quite put a finger on it. It's kind of like you are driving your car, everything is working but the paint job has started to fade over the years. Maybe this site could use a visuall facelift, something to attract a new enthusiastic audience. And maybe let people speak more freely. There are alot of people who have a huge passion for this hobby, these are the types of people who get stifled the most.

GMichael
10-29-2005, 03:55 PM
So, nobody seems to care. That's fair, I voted WGAF also. Glad to see a few people have some passion left though. I've been getting a little bored.
Let it rip guys n dolls. Welcome to the steel cage. Give'm a right, and a left, and another right. Kick'm in the ...

Geoffcin
10-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Hey Geoff, I can't quite put a finger on it. It's kind of like you are driving your car, everything is working but the paint job has started to fade over the years. Maybe this site could use a visuall facelift, something to attract a new enthusiastic audience. And maybe let people speak more freely. There are alot of people who have a huge passion for this hobby, these are the types of people who get stifled the most.

T&A, heck it works for just about everthing else! ;)

Yes, I agree this "new look" is starting to get a bit old looking. A lot of people are also put off by the pop-up ads too. At least they got rid of the green links!

The problem with letting the place run wild (like the old days) is that the place becomes unfriendly real fast. I'm sure you know what I mean. That being said, NOBODY get's a warning here unless they become really unruly. I can count the posts (besides spam) that I've deleted on one hand, and that's over the course of a year!

SlumpBuster
10-30-2005, 05:20 AM
Okay, I got some spice. Buying an expensive esoteric speaker and amps is not a "hobby." Placing speaker wire on ceramic cups is not a "hobby." At best these things are endeavours. Merely buying crap and amassing more and more it, or better and better, or more expensive and more expensive, is not a hobby.

Building a Heathkit amp is a hobby. Building a good looking good sounding two way is a hobby. Hi-fi was originally a hobby because you couldn't actually purchase much of the equipment in anything but kit form. Or you could order JBL paragon plans and try to build them yourself.

To make my point. No one has the hobby of purchasing kitchen appliances. "Dude, check out my Bosch appliances. I used to think they kicked ass, but then I noticed the dishwasher was leaving some food residue. Only a couple of people could notice it, everyone else said no food residue was there and clean is clean. But they're not into this hobby. So then I got these kick as Vikings and Wolfs. Plus, I found this vintage Hotpoint on ebay from this guy in HongKong. That's gonna be fresh when it comes in. Also, ApplianceReview.com is for suxors! ApplianceGurus.com is where it at! And, Kenmore is 50% of homes because they are marketing geniuses."

Hobby my butt.

SlumpBuster
10-30-2005, 05:21 AM
Oh yeah, Harleys are for criminals and dentists. The Acura NSX is where its at. :D

shokhead
10-30-2005, 07:05 AM
Okay, I got some spice. Buying an expensive esoteric speaker and amps is not a "hobby." Placing speaker wire on ceramic cups is not a "hobby." At best these things are endeavours. Merely buying crap and amassing more and more it, or better and better, or more expensive and more expensive, is not a hobby.

Building a Heathkit amp is a hobby. Building a good looking good sounding two way is a hobby. Hi-fi was originally a hobby because you couldn't actually purchase much of the equipment in anything but kit form. Or you could order JBL paragon plans and try to build them yourself.

To make my point. No one has the hobby of purchasing kitchen appliances. "Dude, check out my Bosch appliances. I used to think they kicked ass, but then I noticed the dishwasher was leaving some food residue. Only a couple of people could notice it, everyone else said no food residue was there and clean is clean. But they're not into this hobby. So then I got these kick as Vikings and Wolfs. Plus, I found this vintage Hotpoint on ebay from this guy in HongKong. That's gonna be fresh when it comes in. Also, ApplianceReview.com is for suxors! ApplianceGurus.com is where it at! And, Kenmore is 50% of homes because they are marketing geniuses."

Hobby my butt.

Who are you to say what is and isnt a hobby? ANYTHING can be a hobby.

Geoffcin
10-30-2005, 07:30 AM

Hobby my butt.

Thank you think. While washing machines & dishwashers collectors are a pretty esoteric lot, can opener & bottle top removers are collected by thousands of people. It's a REAL hobby collecting these things, and people search all over the world for them.

daviethek
10-30-2005, 07:52 AM
my buddies collect guns, shoot them and reload their shells in the basement. Its a hobby even though they don't mchine their own barrels. Many of them are divorced.

Of course this is a hobby. We are all trying to find the purest of sounds we all enjoyed when we were younger and can't possibly appreciate now because our hearing is degraded. Its a race against time. Like the mid-life dentists around here that destroy my Sundays with loudly tuned Harleys. I wish the worst for them and all their large bottomed wives as rear stablilizers.

This is a great site. I have been hammered by english guys, learned a few great insults and occasionally got some superb advice. It is plenty instructive and occasionally nasty.
dk

Geoffcin
10-30-2005, 08:02 AM
my buddies collect guns, shoot them and reload their shells in the basement. Its a hobby even though they don't mchine their own barrels.

Many of them are divorced.

dk

Do you think the two things have some correlation?!

JohnMichael
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
This is a great site. I have been hammered by english guys, learned a few great insults and occasionally got some superb advice. It is plenty instructive and occasionally nasty.
dk[/QUOTE]

Ya, it's all good!

mixadude
10-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Who are you to say what is and isnt a hobby? ANYTHING can be a hobby.
LOL, like posting on forums.