Yamaha HTR5830SL or Pioneer VSX-515K [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha HTR5830SL or Pioneer VSX-515K

Dmax
10-28-2005, 08:12 AM
My last starter receiver for my bedroom HT blew .It was a Pioneer VSX-411 purchased at Best Buy years ago along with an extended warranty for it . Well since they cannot fix my old receiver I can either choose one of these in its place from Best Buy and it'll be a simple exchange. Which should I choose and why. Thanx!

recoveryone
10-28-2005, 09:52 AM
My last starter receiver for my bedroom HT blew .It was a Pioneer VSX-411 purchased at Best Buy years ago along with an extended warranty for it . Well since they cannot fix my old receiver I can either choose one of these in its place from Best Buy and it'll be a simple exchange. Which should I choose and why. Thanx!
I also have the VSX 411in my bedroom, sorry to hear about yours.

GMichael
10-28-2005, 09:57 AM
I don't know much about that Pioneer model. I do have that Yammie as it is part of my HTIB in my bedroom. It sounds very good and I've never had any trouble with it. I also have an older than dirt Pioneer 2 channel receiver. It sounds fine (it was about $200 new) for what it is. Also never had trouble with it.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

kexodusc
10-28-2005, 10:11 AM
I would choose the Pioneer, and I think just a bit better unit all around....bigger, a bit more power, etc. I think it's more comparable to the HTR-5840. It also gives you the option of 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setups, the Yamaha doesn't.
The HTR-5830 scares me a bit. It is Yamaha's smallest unit, and seems to be marketed to the HTIB crowd. I have no doubt it is blessed with Yamaha's attention to quality, but I'm guessing you won't own this receiver for 10 years, and any possible quality advantages probably aren't enough to justify going that route.

Only thing I noticed that might be a concern is that the Yamaha has 2 optical digital inputs, with 1 coax digital input, and the Pioneer has 2 coax digital inputs, and 1 optical input.

If you've got some older equipment that doesn't give you the option of either, or just prefer one or the other for some reason...you might consider that.

Pioneer has been making very good value receivers lately.

Dmax
10-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanx for all replies,I guess im going Pioneer again.I really did like my old one.

Defshep
11-02-2005, 05:21 AM
I also own a vsx-d411. I love it! As a matter of fact, I bought a Panasonic sahe200 pretty cheap, but I think I'll be going back to Pioneer. I found a vsx-d912 for $190, so there you go. Maybe I'm just used to it's functions, but I really think Pioneer gives you more for your money.