Request to add Centrios 8" Passive Subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Request to add Centrios 8" Passive Subwoofer

ledgema
10-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Can you add the Centrois 8" Passive Subwoofer to the list? These subwoofers have been around for a couple of years and they go a good job with adding in that lower register with bookshelf speakers. I have them hooked up in parallel with my Mission 700s and they blend in quite nicely.

Manufacturer Name: Centrios
Manufacturer's Website: http://orbyxelectronics.com/
Category: Subwoofers
Product Name or Model Number: 8" Passive Subwoofer 4018179/4018181
Driver: 8", single coil, rubber surround
Impedance: 8 ohms
Power Handling (RMS) 20 - 100 watts
Frequency Response: 25 - 180 Hz
Demensions: 10"x12"x14"
Price: $79.99 CAD

ledgema
11-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Okay, here's my review of the Centrios 8" Passive Subwoofer:

While walking around a shopping centre over in Richmond Hill, Ontario a number of months ago, I came across a sale that was going on over at Radio Shack. They had the Centrios subwoofers on sale from $79.99 CAD to $49.99 CAD. I was curious about them so I had a closer look at the one that was on display. When I saw that they were actually a passive subwoofer with only one set of terminals, I passed on it. They did look nice though and they come in either black or maple. There wasn't much information about them.

So a few months later I was curious and checking out other places that had subwoofers on sale. There's a place in Mississauga that had a 10" active subwoofer by Pioneer on for $199.00 CAD. It was nice but I didn't like the fact that the surround was the typical foam surround that will eventually rott out. I had a look at other subwoofers, namely ones by Polk and Quest. Since I was on a budget, the least expensive subs by both companies also had foam surrounds.

Then I come back to a Radio Shack, now The Source, in Mississauga and asked about the Centrios subwoofers. I didn't really get a good answer, but I had another good look. I soon found out that these were down-firing subwoofers and they had rubber surrounds on them and they stand on plastic spiked feet for carpets. Still I didn't know how well these would sound and left the store and thought about it. I came back and bought one to try out. I asked for one finished in black and to my surprise it rang up not at $79.99, but at $39.99. I also got the extended warranty which brought it up to $49.99. Once I got home I hooked it up to the right channel. I didn't notice much at first and it varied depending on what I was listening to, but since it only had one set of terminals I had to get another one for the left. I bought the last one in stock which was the one on display. Once I hooked it up I really heard a difference this time. The subs seems to blend in the lower register with my Mission 700s quite nicely. Yup I do have a pair of Mission 700s that I've had for a few years now. On their own the subs don't play loud, but once they're coupled to my Missions it makes them sound like floor standing speakers rather than bookself speakers. Bass drums sound tight and the bass guitar has more depth.

If you're on a budget and looking for some subwoofers to add some punch to your bookself speakers, the Centrios 8" Passive Subwoofers will do the job nicely.

arcticat99
11-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Can you add the Centrois 8" Passive Subwoofer to the list? These subwoofers have been around for a couple of years and they go a good job with adding in that lower register with bookshelf speakers. I have them hooked up in parallel with my Mission 700s and they blend in quite nicely.

Manufacturer Name: Centrios
Manufacturer's Website: http://orbyxelectronics.com/
Category: Subwoofers
Product Name or Model Number: 8" Passive Subwoofer 4018179/4018181
Driver: 8", single coil, rubber surround
Impedance: 8 ohms
Power Handling (RMS) 20 - 100 watts
Frequency Response: 25 - 180 Hz
Demensions: 10"x12"x14"
Price: $79.99 CAD
hey maybe you can help me how did you run this 1 sub to 2 speakers because there is only 1 set of terminals onthe back i tried running both book shelfs off of it but it keeps shutting my amp down thanks in advance for your help