Metal mania made easy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Metal mania made easy

3-LockBox
10-27-2005, 07:16 PM
I have been parousing the metal scene lately, as you may already have figured out by reading some of my posts. I was certainly confused, what with all the sub-genres of metal that are out there now. Here's what I think I've learned so far.........

First off, heavy metal is no more; nobody plays it anymore. The term heavy metal seem to be linked exclusively with the '80s or earlier. Bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden would fit here.

The sub-genres that are termed for the modern crop include goth-metal (or dark metal), nu-metal, thrash, metalcore, and death metal.

Goth-metal is dark and somber and the artists seem disenfranchised and depressed. Dark metal is any band that fits this category that has a male lead singer, while goth describes a band with a female lead singer (I think that goth is the only style of metal that girls are allowed to participate in).

Nu-metal is similar to goth in attitude in that they're morose and disenfranchised, but they're not depressed, they're pissed off about it and play a much angrier version of dark metal.

Thrash is same as nu-metal, only they play faster, and the lyrics aren't always discernable as they aren't so much sung as they are shouted or shrieked. Drumkits are usually muffled, and are played with heavy emphasis on high hat and timpany.

Metalcore is the same as thrash in that the lyrics are screamed or yelled, but with a distinctive barking cadence. Drumkit isn't as muted though. Note: if the lyrics are at all discernable, its probably not thrash or metalcore.

Death metal has all the aspects of the other sub-genres, only they like to pretend that they're monsters, using demonic voices (lyrics also being indiscernable).

MindGoneHaywire
10-27-2005, 08:43 PM
I really don't listen to any of this stuff, but I have a couple of questions. First, what about "grindcore?" Is there no longer such a thing as "speed metal?" I thought that nu-metal involved bands that were alt/thrash/metal & rap hybrids? And what would you call the subgenre that consists of bands that feature what I think Dusty referred to as "Cookie Monster vocals."

Lastly, what genre would you place The Darkness in?

Dusty Chalk
10-27-2005, 09:21 PM
You missed a couple.

Emo == screamed vocals, depressed/pissed off lyrics.
Doom == slow, dark, funereal -- closest to goth-metal, methinks
Death == disgusting lyrics, usually include horror and/or necrophilia
Thrash/speed still exists, and is as it was == metal played fast.
Black metal == mostly political slant and lyrical content -- satanic, wear corpse paint, refuse to release stuff on major labels, kill each other (for sacrifices), etc.
Power metal == lyrics about dragons, vikings, fairies, the days of yore, etc. Anthemic music.

Pretty much all of them use cookie monster vocals except power metal. Some alternate with "witchy-poo" screaming (Cradle of Filth). Very few sing clean.

No idea where Opeth fits in, for example.

And a correction:

Nu-metal == metal + hip-hop beats + basically rapped lyrics, which is why so many of us metal-heads don' like it -- those of us that don' like rap, anyway.

3-LockBox
10-27-2005, 11:18 PM
or something like that...

I really don't listen to any of this stuff, but I have a couple of questions. First, what about "grindcore?" Is there no longer such a thing as "speed metal?" I thought that nu-metal involved bands that were alt/thrash/metal & rap hybrids? And what would you call the subgenre that consists of bands that feature what I think Dusty referred to as "Cookie Monster vocals."

Lastly, what genre would you place The Darkness in?

Of course, my post was done with tongue planted firmly in cheek. I think it doesn't matter, because whenever you read a review over at Amazon.com, they're never consistant with their pigeon holing. People just like to be special.

Metal w/ rap = shred/surf metal (skaterboarders use to refer to their music as surf, I don't know if that's still true)

Cookie monster vocals = death metal

The Darkness = pompous asses

Actually, I liked Permission To Land (I own it). If The Darkness is metal at all, they're the retro kind.

PS: Grindcore? Hey! This is a family message board!

3-LockBox
10-27-2005, 11:19 PM
You missed a couple.

Black metal == mostly political slant and lyrical content -- satanic, wear corpse paint, refuse to release stuff on major labels, kill each other (for sacrifices), etc.
Power metal == lyrics about dragons, vikings, fairies, the days of yore, etc. Anthemic music.

Pretty much all of them use cookie monster vocals except power metal. Some alternate with "witchy-poo" screaming (Cradle of Filth). Very few sing clean.

And a correction:

Nu-metal == metal + hip-hop beats + basically rapped lyrics, which is why so many of us metal-heads don' like it -- those of us that don' like rap, anyway.

see response to MindGoneHaywire

Duds
10-28-2005, 04:06 AM
I think naming all these genres is ridiculous. HAving said that though, i think your off a little bit with your assessments.

Not all goth bands have female singers.

Nu-metal is more rappish in style, like Linkin Puke, Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. Definitely not similar to goth.

Thrash isnt similar to nu-metal either. Anthrax is thrash metal.

Anyway, those are just my opinions. but like i said, i think its ridiculous to keep coming up with all of these different genres.

I have been parousing the metal scene lately, as you may already have figured out by reading some of my posts. I was certainly confused, what with all the sub-genres of metal that are out there now. Here's what I think I've learned so far.........

First off, heavy metal is no more; nobody plays it anymore. The term heavy metal seem to be linked exclusively with the '80s or earlier. Bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden would fit here.

The sub-genres that are termed for the modern crop include goth-metal (or dark metal), nu-metal, thrash, metalcore, and death metal.

Goth-metal is dark and somber and the artists seem disenfranchised and depressed. Dark metal is any band that fits this category that has a male lead singer, while goth describes a band with a female lead singer (I think that goth is the only style of metal that girls are allowed to participate in).

Nu-metal is similar to goth in attitude in that they're morose and disenfranchised, but they're not depressed, they're pissed off about it and play a much angrier version of dark metal.

Thrash is same as nu-metal, only they play faster, and the lyrics aren't always discernable as they aren't so much sung as they are shouted or shrieked. Drumkits are usually muffled, and are played with heavy emphasis on high hat and timpany.

Metalcore is the same as thrash in that the lyrics are screamed or yelled, but with a distinctive barking cadence. Drumkit isn't as muted though. Note: if the lyrics are at all discernable, its probably not thrash or metalcore.

Death metal has all the aspects of the other sub-genres, only they like to pretend that they're monsters, using demonic voices (lyrics also being indiscernable).

Celtic Bob
10-28-2005, 11:55 AM
You missed a couple.

And a correction:

Hey D,
Have you ever checked out the site www.metal-rules.com ?? Should have some stuff you like as well as some newer stuff to check out. We just launched a new "Rock" section as well. Drop by and let me know what you think.
b.

Dusty Chalk
10-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey D,
Have you ever checked out the site www.metal-rules.com ?? Should have some stuff you like as well as some newer stuff to check out. We just launched a new "Rock" section as well. Drop by and let me know what you think.
b.Cool, will try check it out this weekend. I think I've heard of it before, but not sure...

You should have a whole subforum for metal that's not power metal yet still has clean vocals. There's not too many of them...maybe it'd be just a thread.

Celtic Bob
10-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Cool, will try check it out this weekend. I think I've heard of it before, but not sure...

You should have a whole subforum for metal that's not power metal yet still has clean vocals. There's not too many of them...maybe it'd be just a thread.

Let me know what you think.

We do have a forum/Board section. It's under "Interactive"

I just interviewed Daniel Spitz of Anthrax last Saturday. Really cool guy to talk to, was on the phone with him for a half hour. That'll be posted in the near future. Their Live dvd is excellant.
b.

Dusty Chalk
10-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Well, I already have one comment -- your forums/board is too hard to get to. Even after you told me it was under interactive, I couldn't find it.

I found it, though.

Lots of articles, infos and reviews though -- melikes! How often does that get updated?

Celtic Bob
10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
CD Review page gets updated at the start of every month. Usually the first weekend of that month.
News gets added as it comes in, same with interviews and concert reviews.

The cd reviews in the "Rock" section go up as they are done. I will be adding about 4 or 5 new cd reviews to "Rock" this weekend if all goes well.

3-LockBox
10-30-2005, 03:41 PM
I think naming all these genres is ridiculous. HAving said that though, i think your off a little bit with your assessments.

Not all goth bands have female singers.

Nu-metal is more rappish in style, like Linkin Puke, Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. Definitely not similar to goth.

Thrash isnt similar to nu-metal either. Anthrax is thrash metal.

Anyway, those are just my opinions. but like i said, i think its ridiculous to keep coming up with all of these different genres.

once again, see my response to MindGoneHaywire