Oppo Digital DVD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oppo Digital DVD Player

HAVIC
10-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Anyone here about this dvd player.

I saw the review on projector central's website and know them to be credible.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/oppo_opdv971h_dvd_player.htm

Curious what people thought about it and if anyone has one?

Thanks
Greg

edtyct
10-27-2005, 08:31 PM
David Colin's article about digital video, with particular reference to this player, is largely accurate, including the part about Secret's favorable review about Oppo OPDV971H. It's still an ad, however, since Projector Central is among the few stores actually selling this unit. I've never tried one, but it doesn't instill any fear into me. What it apparently does well is not the equivalent of DVD brain science any more (despite the thrust of Colin's article). A lot of other players do basically the same thing--some around the same price point and others at a higher one. On paper, the Oppo certainly seems like a winner in this sweepstakes, however, pulling together a bunch of different features and functions with aplomb. Except for a few low-price decks from name mfgs that shine as much as the Oppo--like Pioneer's DV-588A-S (which incidentally has no digital video output but does have both DVD-A and SA-CD)--the major companies seem to have become disenchanted with making much of an effort across the board with standard DVD technology. It's old-hat enough not be exciting any more. The time would be right for a motivated company from left field to offer a player that gets good reviews by attending to the details at an affordable price. I don't know what kind of dent it would be able to make in this saturated market at this point, but for individuals looking for a decent player now, the Oppo seems to qualify. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot.

Ed