Need Receiver and Surround [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Receiver and Surround

msb1999
01-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Here is my situation...

I just purchased a new Mitsubishi 65in. RP HDTV. I currently own a pair of Bose 501 Series IV floor standing speakers that I want to use as part of the surround sound. I need a new receiver and want to purchase surround sound speakers.

My question is....What recommendations do you guys have so I can still utilize my 501's as my front speakers. I hate to NOT use them because they still sound pretty good after nearly 15 years of use.

Need receiver and surround sound speakers. My room size is approximately 15' x 30' and I don't want to spend more than $1800 on both the receiver and speakers.

recoveryone
01-11-2004, 09:22 AM
I would suggest looking at the Pioneer VSX D912, Pioneer Elite 53TXi or the new Yamaha VX line either one will leave you with enough cash to go out and pickup some surrounds and a sub. Enjoy the Mits, I just love mine (now that I have HDTV).

recoveryone
01-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Sorry its the Yamaha RX line

TinHere
01-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Here is my situation...

I just purchased a new Mitsubishi 65in. RP HDTV. I currently own a pair of Bose 501 Series IV floor standing speakers that I want to use as part of the surround sound. I need a new receiver and want to purchase surround sound speakers.

My question is....What recommendations do you guys have so I can still utilize my 501's as my front speakers. I hate to NOT use them because they still sound pretty good after nearly 15 years of use.

Need receiver and surround sound speakers. My room size is approximately 15' x 30' and I don't want to spend more than $1800 on both the receiver and speakers.

You're off to a good start improving your system by doing some research. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but the speakers you have aren't very well regarded and can certainly be improved upon with many other newer options. A side by side comparison will more than likely bear this out as will further research on any audio forum. I would suggest thinking about using the 501's in the rear and getting three new timbre matched speakers for the front. You might also want a subwoofer if you want the low end rumble and don't have one.

Take your time and listen to some speakers to see what kind of sonic signature you like. After you have an idea, then people can recommend some brands that may offer better value than what you listened to. If you are set on the 501's for the mains I would get a matching center, surrounds and a sub.

There are a number of good receivers that will satisfy your needs. I think the Yamaha RX-V1400 [w/YPAO and Component video up conversion] offers the best value. The important thing is to have a plan that will ultimately deliver what you want. That tv deserves a good sound experience.

Happy hunting.