Denon 3805 or 3806 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon 3805 or 3806

mille162
10-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Need to upgrade my Denon AVR3300 (see previous thread) and trying to decide between the 3805 and 3806. I like the brand, and the power output is plenty for my listening needs (although I think my speakers could handle more max power if I wanted). For me, the only real difference I see is the 3806 has HDMI in/outs (and the XM input).

My big question is, does the onscreen menu go through the HDMI output? Looking at Denon's website and viewing a rear pic of the model, it says "HDMI monitor out". What's really confusing me is there's also a "monitor out" for a SVideo, Composite plug, and a "monitor out" (both 1 and 2) component plugs. Will all of these give the OSM or just one of them?

Price is about the same between the two and my DVD and HD box both have HDMI and component outputs. If the HDMI monitor out will give me my onscreen menu, I'd rather have the 3806 and use the HDMI cables instead of the component cables to connect them (correct me if I'm wrong, but the HDMI cables are supposed to be slightly better then running component, correct?). I've got to get new cables either way...

Thanks again

kexodusc
10-27-2005, 09:29 AM
My big question is, does the onscreen menu go through the HDMI output? Looking at Denon's website and viewing a rear pic of the model, it says "HDMI monitor out". What's really confusing me is there's also a "monitor out" for a SVideo, Composite plug, and a "monitor out" (both 1 and 2) component plugs. Will all of these give the OSM or just one of them?
Don't know for sure, but the monitor out that you select should carry the OSD...most I've seen do, sometimes you just have to program the receiver to know which out you are using.

Price is about the same between the two and my DVD and HD box both have HDMI and component outputs. If the HDMI monitor out will give me my onscreen menu, I'd rather have the 3806 and use the HDMI cables instead of the component cables to connect them (correct me if I'm wrong, but the HDMI cables are supposed to be slightly better then running component, correct?). I've got to get new cables either way...

HDMI cables aren't better than component. They weren't made as a replacement, just an alternative. For 1080i or lower (and my understanding is even 1080p in the future) component video is fine. You shouldn't notice an improvement in picture quality.

The benefit to HDMI, if your DVD and HD box both support it, is that you can eliminate a whole crap load of messy cables behind your gear with 1 sweet HDMI cable. On my DVD player, for example, I have the 3 component video cables, an optical cable, and 5.1 multi-channel output cables running to my receiver. 10 cables altogether right there replaced by one HDMI.

Be careful with your HD box though. For whatever reason, a lot of networks and boxes aren't supporting HDMI yet. What's worse, many are reporting sub-par results with the standard def and analog stations through the HDMI cables. Not exactly an "upgrade".

There's no question the 3806 is a bit more "future proof" at this point, and that reason alone might be enough to go that way.

topspeed
10-27-2005, 09:40 AM
There's no question the 3806 is a bit more "future proof" at this point, and that reason alone might be enough to go that way.
That's the ticket right there. If they are the same price, why not get the one with more features? I think Ed says HDMI has theoretically a better picture than component, but I doubt you'd be able to tell without a SOTA projector and scaler.

Kex, I had to laugh when you described the morass of cables coming from the back of your DVD player. Mine is the same way! I think you can use the optical Denonlink from their DVD players to their AVRs to transfer multi-channel hi-rez, which would have been a lot cleaner (not to mention cheaper) but alas, they only offer that on the 3910 and up. Bastards :mad:.

kexodusc
10-27-2005, 10:01 AM
That's the ticket right there. If they are the same price, why not get the one with more features? I think Ed says HDMI has theoretically a better picture than component, but I doubt you'd be able to tell without a SOTA projector and scaler.

Kex, I had to laugh when you described the morass of cables coming from the back of your DVD player. Mine is the same way! I think you can use the optical Denonlink from their DVD players to their AVRs to transfer multi-channel hi-rez, which would have been a lot cleaner (not to mention cheaper) but alas, they only offer that on the 3910 and up. Bastards :mad:.

DAMN RIGHT! After hours of sorting cables and running them as short and neat as possible, I can say one thing about my system. IT'S STILL FREAKIN' UGLY BACK THERE!!!

Too many darn cables these days. I pray to the a/v gods that HDMI will hit all receivers/dvd players/HD boxes/ and other sources ASAP so I can eliminate some 40 goofy cables with 3 or 4 neat HDMI's.

I'm sure all of us married folk can appreciate that this will be the single biggest breakthrough in years!

mille162
10-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Reason for debating between the two is my current preferred shop has the 3806 on backorder and the 3805 on sale for $999. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait for the 3806 though.

I'd prefer the HDMI so it's just cleaner and less cables, but I thought for audio, optical was the best solution? I've also heard both arguements about HDMI carrying and not carrying audio signal. I wonder if I can specify my receiver to use HDMI for video and Optical for audio inputs???

For cable clean-up, I found a pretty nice solution from BestBuy. Bought their whole stock from local stores for work use. It's a Braided cable wrap, 2 sizes available, one that's 1 1/4"-2 1/4" and a larger one with a velcro seam. Looks alot nicer than the cheap plastic tubing radioshack and homedepot sells. Package says "Axession Samsung America" and is white and light blue. Was in the portable section near the headphones and speaker cable. I don't think all the stores are carrying it yet.

thanks again for the quick responses