yamaha rx v 557 v 657 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : yamaha rx v 557 v 657

agtpunx40
10-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Allright, I recently bought a new reciever to replace my Yamaha htr 5450. I just wanted something relatively cheap, in fact, the only reason I bought a new reciever at all was because the original remote broke, and I needed it to adjust some things. They wanted to charge me up the.........well you get the picture, and I figured I might as well get something useful with my money, and use the old reciever for outside speakers or something.
Anyway, I bought it about a week ago, I was in the store buying a new subwoofer, and now I'm wondering if I should have taken the step up for about $100 to get the YPAO. I'm pretty technically inclined, I've set up lots of HT stuff for myself, friends, and family. I have an spl meter, and I've got this reciever set up pretty decent by now. I know the YPAO automatically sets up distances and levels and that stuff, but the one thing I'm really thinking about is the parametric eq. I have a BFD for my sub, so I know what sort of difference it can make in the sound.
I'm not too excited about any of the other step ups, 7.1 instead of 6.1 (which I don't have room for anyway), assignable channels for 2nd zone (I now have a perfectly good amp to use for that), a few more watts (It's my understanding that the rxv 1600 level is the first reciever is the lowest that really steps up to better parts so I don't think the few extra watts will really make a difference). Anybody have any advice, is it worth it?

kexodusc
10-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Anyway, I bought it about a week ago, I was in the store buying a new subwoofer, and now I'm wondering if I should have taken the step up for about $100 to get the YPAO. I'm pretty technically inclined, I've set up lots of HT stuff for myself, friends, and family. I have an spl meter, and I've got this reciever set up pretty decent by now. I know the YPAO automatically sets up distances and levels and that stuff, but the one thing I'm really thinking about is the parametric eq. I have a BFD for my sub, so I know what sort of difference it can make in the sound.

To be honest, I don't find the Parametric EQ feature on my receiver to offer much value for my setup. I've played with it on several receivers now, of various makes and models, and everytime the results are mixed. In my case, I have 6 identical speakers, and a matching center channel. Tonally they're close enough that the only battle I have is environmental issues and room acoustics. I find the compensation to be insufficient, or way too much. The longer these are out, and the more reviews I read, the more I hear this echoed.
That said, if you have a serious room environment issue (say a window by your surround speaker, or one side is against a wall, the other open, I think YPAO can add a bit of improvement here. Just a bit though, nothing drastic. To me, the nice thing about YPAO and others is the auto-setup function. Faster, and just as accurate as I can setup. Great for newbies and oldbies alike. Saving time is something we all can appreciate.

I'm not too excited about any of the other step ups, 7.1 instead of 6.1 (which I don't have room for anyway), assignable channels for 2nd zone (I now have a perfectly good amp to use for that), a few more watts (It's my understanding that the rxv 1600 level is the first reciever is the lowest that really steps up to better parts so I don't think the few extra watts will really make a difference). Anybody have any advice, is it worth it?
I think the RX-V1500 is the bottom of the next level of receivers. But even that's not completely fair. I opened up my RX-V1400 and my old neighbor's HTR-5760. Power supply and heatsinks aside, there were an aweful lot of common components. Even the layout. The larger case/chassis looks nicer, but I don't think contributes to performance much.

The 657 offers more power, larger power supply, not just limited voltage rails. Depending on your speakers' sensitivities and how loud you listen, this could possibly make a difference. It might have a few other neat toys you could appreciate. YPAO alone probably isn't enough, IMO. Take this from a guy who 2 years ago jumped on the YPAO bandwagon as soon as it hit the market.
Overall, I think the 657 is the best value in the Yamaha line, but if the 557 is large enough for you, don't sweat it, and enjoy the money you saved.