abyss - which version [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : abyss - which version

agtpunx40
10-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Someone bought me the special edition of this movie for my birthday a few months ago. The problem is, it's not anamorphic, and really doesn't look too good on a big screen. What's the best version of this movie to buy?

L.J.
10-27-2005, 07:45 AM
I don't remember which one it is but get the 2 disc version that's in the white box. I got the single disc special edition in the blue case and it's not even 5.1 although it says it on the case. I went to BB to exchange it and of course they didn't have anymore copies of the 2 disc version.

Woochifer
10-27-2005, 12:47 PM
All versions of The Abyss have nonanamorphic transfers. If you got the special edition DVD from 2000, hang onto it because at the moment it's the best version that's available. The subsequent single-disc and two-disc Digipak releases even dropped the 5.1 DD audio track. Fox has been the worst studio with constantly switching up its releases, and decontenting its DVDs. After getting Alien right less than two years ago when Fox rolled out the Quadrilogy boxed set and special editions of all four movies, they just replaced the two-disc edition of Alien with a decontented single-disc DVD -- something they had already done once before.