New iPod & newb Questions... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New iPod & newb Questions...

audiobill
10-26-2005, 06:44 PM
My new iPod just arrived today, in black, with 60g of mem.

I've plugged it in and it's been charging for about an hour and a half.

I have 2 questions for the experts (please give this NEWB a response) here:

1. As I charge the battery for the first time, iTunes pops up & asks if I'd like to have the iPod auto update. I ignored this popup and it went away.

While charging (45 minutes later), I went into the iTunes preferences and noticed that "Manually manage" is chosen. Can this be unchosen? and Is it better to...
Manually manage or automatically update?

(I have 1200 songs on iTunes to move to my iPod & "manually manage" rather scares me if it will take forever)

2. Upon first attaching my new iPod to the USB 2 on my computer, it's screen flickered momentariy and it, then, has gone into what I can best describe as shadow(sleep)-mode, yet it's flashing an icon with "Do not disconnect". Does this mean it is charging & dowloading? or Is it not working? What's the icon look like when it's done?

Please RRers help this neophyte iPod user & musical nut out.

Thanks-a-ton,
audiobill

noddin0ff
10-27-2005, 06:03 AM
Cant' answer all...but 'do not connect' means files are transferring.

Stone
10-27-2005, 06:17 AM
2. Upon first attaching my new iPod to the USB 2 on my computer, it's screen flickered momentariy and it, then, has gone into what I can best describe as shadow(sleep)-mode, yet it's flashing an icon with "Do not disconnect". Does this mean it is charging & dowloading? or Is it not working? What's the icon look like when it's done?

It means it's either getting connnected to your system or transferring data. There should be a checkmark on the screen when it's okay to disconnect.

ForeverAutumn
10-27-2005, 11:19 AM
It means it's either getting connnected to your system or transferring data. There should be a checkmark on the screen when it's okay to disconnect.

Hey Bill, congratulations on your new 'pod! Now you can join the rest of us whose lives are ruled by the Shuffle God and will have nothing to report on Tunesday! hehehe.

I find that when my iPod is plugged into my computer, not fully charged, I get that Do Not Disconnect message because it's charging. As long as it's not transferring files, I don't have a problem disconnecting, but I make sure that I use the Safely Remove Hardware icon (little grey box with a green arrow on top) on my toolbar (beside my clock) to stop the device first. Once I stop the iPod using that icon the Do Not Disconnect thingy goes away and my Menu screen reappears. Once that happens, it's safe to unplug from your computer.

Also, I have iTunes set to automatically update. Like you said, it just seemed easier.

audiobill
10-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks for all your help folks.

I've now charged it up & am ready to start to move songs onto it.

You've been a great help.

Bill