Vashti Bunyan? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vashti Bunyan?

Zombie
10-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Any of you fellow folkies heard this or know much about it? Devendra Banhart and Joanna Newsome on hand to back this 60 yo British hippie folk singer. Guess this is her first record in 35 freakin years! What's she sound like? No editor or user comments at amazon yet but I did read a nice article in the (Scottish) Sunday Herald at http://www.sundayherald.com/52238. Mike? Toze?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000B5S826.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jim Clark
10-26-2005, 01:23 PM
I've read some about her brother Paul but I'd have to say this is new to me. Think he had a pet too.

jc

tentoze
10-26-2005, 03:05 PM
I haven't heard the new release, but I imagine I'll pick it up. I've read good things, and the overall story of Vashti is interesting enough to merit a buy. I have her original release from the Bronze Age or whenver, Another Diamond Day, and can't say I was blown away after hearing the whispered hype over it for years. On it, she sounds like an English hippie folkie circa 1969, which is what she was. The songs are certainly pleasant enough. No idea what source tapes were used, but the transfer to cd resulted in horrible SQ.

I've like the recent cameos she's done on a few other people's records, so I'd say if yr into the current freak-folk thing, the new one sounds like a safe bet to me.

Zombie
10-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I've read some about her brother Paul but I'd have to say this is new to me. Think he had a pet too.

jc
She is kind of old, but I'm pretty sure Paul would have to be more like a great great uncle or something, right? Probably not her brother. Boy, there's a lot of stories around about ol Paul. He was quite the lumberjack, so it's told. Surrounded hisself with some real characters too ;)

Sourdough Sam, The Cook
Sourdough Sam, the cook, fed Paul's logging crews. When Sam made soup, he rowed out into the center of the big kettle with boatloads of cabbages, turnips and potatoes and shoveled them into the boiling water. The dining room tables were so long that Tiny Tim, the chore boy, usually drove the length of the table with the salt and pepper wagon, stayed all night and drove back in the morning for a fresh load. The cookhouse boys took to wearing rollerskates just to keep up with the serving.

The Pancake Griddle
Paul's axemen ate so many flap-jacks that the cook and his helpers couldn't supply the demand. Ole, the Blacksmith, made a griddle so large you couldn't see across it when the smoke was thick. Sourdough Sam had fifty men with bacon slabs tied to their feet skating around the griddle to grease it. The batter was mixed in large barrels and it took a strong cook just to turn the flapjacks, let alone get them to the table. Sourdough Sam's son, Hot Biscuit Slim, was credited with the idea of adding popcorn to the batter to make the flapjacks self-flipping.

Sport, The Reversible Dog
Sport, the Reversible Dog, was the camp pet and the best hunter. One of the axemen accidentally cut Sport in two with an axe. In his haste to mend the dog, he had him sewed up with his back half twisted opposite. This didn't bother Sport. He ran on his front legs until they were tired, then flopped over and ran on his hind legs.

Zombie
Well, that's all I got for now. Gonna try and find me some Vashti for a listen. What are you doing in my folkie thread anyway? Did you read any of that article? I love that quote, "To hear Vashti Bunyan even once, is to be haunted forever." I wanna be haunted forever too!

Zombie
10-26-2005, 03:18 PM
I have her original release from the Bronze Age or whenver, Another Diamond Day, and can't say I was blown away after hearing the whispered hype over it for years. On it, she sounds like an English hippie folkie circa 1969, which is what she was. The songs are certainly pleasant enough.
Huh? Are you trying to tell us that you weren't and still aren't haunted forever after hearing her angelic voice? Did you read the article? Are you deaf or something?

Hey, thanks for the timely feedback! Gotta give her a listen. I figured that an old timer hippie folk freak like you from the Bronze Age would know Vashti ;)

tentoze
10-26-2005, 03:36 PM
I am actually her younger brother, Saul.

Zombie
10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
I am actually her younger brother, Saul.
Hmmm, other than an awful jewish lumberjack joke by that awful actress Fran Drescher from whatever her latest awful TV show is, google has nothing on you Saul ol buddy? Howdaya keep so private?

Hey, speaking of ladies, and I was speaking of ladies before someone around here decided to steer the conversation to lumberjacks, whatcha hear about the latest from Patty Loveless called Dreamin' My Dreams? Been getting some very good reviews, so it appears, well, except for the copy-protection part. 9/10 in the latest americana.uk, but sometimes they do get a little carried away. I have an old one of hers but can't remember much about it right now. Maybe a little too slick in the production for my country tastes. But this one seems to be mostly acoustic. Lots of raves at amazon, but sometimes they do get a little carried away too. Any interest in the desert for Nashville country crooners?

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Never before has Patty Loveless mediated so gracefully between bluegrass tradition and superior songcraft from a wide range of sources. Fiddles and mandolins abound throughout Dreaming My Dreams' largely acoustic arrangements, but they are put to the service of material that extends from a propulsive, album-opening rendition of Richard Thompson's "Keep Your Distance" to the rollicking honky-tonk of Delbert McClinton's "Same Kind of Crazy" to the title-song reverie, a signature tune for the late Waylon Jennings. Loveless teams with Dwight Yoakam for a revival duet of the Delaney & Bonnie hit "Never Ending Song of Love," while Emmylou Harris adds soulful harmonies to "When Being Who You Are Is Not Enough." A mood of meditative melancholy pervades much of the music, as exemplified by the intimacy Loveless brings to Steve Earle's "My Old Friend the Blues." The selection of stellar material showcases and broadens Loveless's range as an interpretive stylist, one of the finest in contemporary country. --Don McLeese

tentoze
10-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Can't say that I have much of an opinion on Ms. Loveless. I liked the few individual songs I've ever heard by her, but don't own anything - just not a direction I've turned to. Rightly or wrongly, I always just figgered her to be a talented cover artist, and I gravitate more to those who write their own material. But speaking of Delbert McClinton, his latest release has garnered quite a bit of praise and is on my list to buy.

Jim Clark
10-26-2005, 05:52 PM
She is kind of old, but I'm pretty sure Paul would have to be more like a great great uncle or something, right? Probably not her brother. Boy, there's a lot of stories around about ol Paul. He was quite the lumberjack, so it's told. Surrounded hisself with some real characters too ;)

!

I dunno, I think I saw him very recently in a truck commercial.

jc

And I think this bad joke has run it's course.