Yumm, Hefeweizen [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yumm, Hefeweizen

Zombie
10-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I'm admittedly kind of a wimp when it comes to wheat beers. Don't really care all that much for the craftier European wheaties, but I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Widmer Brothers wheatie from Portland. Probably kind of bland if you love your Hefeweizen with a lot of that banana and clove taste. I don't. This Widmer is great. Nice and smooth. Of course that means it also doesn't have much in the way of a personality, but sometimes you just want a beer that doesn't say much.

So whaddaya listen to with a good Hefeweizen (or as I've already established, an average one)? Well, if you guessed David Kilgour & the Heavy Eights, you already know me too well ;)

Hyfi
10-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I'm admittedly kind of a wimp when it comes to wheat beers. Don't really care all that much for the craftier European wheaties, but I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Widmer Brothers wheatie from Portland. Probably kind of bland if you love your Hefeweizen with a lot of that banana and clove taste. I don't. This Widmer is great. Nice and smooth. Of course that means it also doesn't have much in the way of a personality, but sometimes you just want a beer that doesn't say much.

So whaddaya listen to with a good Hefeweizen (or as I've already established, an average one)? Well, if you guessed David Kilgour & the Heavy Eights, you already know me too well ;)

I'm working on a case of Widmer right now. They go with any music. Try these German Wheats to see what Widmer is trying to copy.
Franziskaner
Hacker Pschorr

richmon
10-26-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm working on a case of Widmer right now. They go with any music. Try these German Wheats to see what Widmer is trying to copy.
Franziskaner
Hacker Pschorr
I find HefeWheats taste best in the summertime, don't drink em much when the weather cools. Franziskaner is my favorite, Hacker Pschorr, Sneider Weiss, Paulander also make fine examples.
HiFi - if you ever get into Philly, checkout Ludwig's Beer Garten -1315 Sampson St - they have about 15 German Wheats on tap, including all mentioned above. Makes my mouth water thinking about it.
http://www.ludwigsgarten.com/

unleasHell
10-26-2005, 11:41 AM
I''ve been in love with Hefewiezen's for years now.

My fav. is the one by Pyramid

they have it on tap at:

Staples Center (Home of Lakers, Clippers and Kings)
Red Lobster
Olive Garden
and many others

cheers

Finch Platte
10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm working on a case of Grolsch's Blonde Lager. I went to the Gross Out (Grocery Outlet), and they had cases for $16. Snagged one up quicker than you can say *belch*. Am I repeating myself?

http://www.crowncaps4u.de/Pix/Netherlands/NL-Grolsch%20Blonde%20Lager.jpg

Light yet tasty- you can pound 'em all day and not suffer too badly the next morning. I know, I've tried many times.

fp

MCH
10-27-2005, 07:43 AM
For a nice refreshing beer I like a Hoegarden (Belgium). It leaves a very pleasant aftertaste. I like a glass or two (should be drank from a glass not the bottle) after a productive day in the workshop.

Hyfi
10-27-2005, 08:06 AM
For a nice refreshing beer I like a Hoegarden (Belgium). It leaves a very pleasant aftertaste. I like a glass or two (should be drank from a glass not the bottle) after a productive day in the workshop.

That is one of my favs. Didn't list it earlier since this was a wheat beer post. A few bars near me keep this on tap. I got hooked on Belgian Ales a few years back when a friend who owns the beer distributer gave me a veriety case for my birthday.

Also good are the Lindemans Framboise Lambic as well as the other flavors they have.

Duds
10-27-2005, 08:17 AM
A Belgian Wheat Ale, very tasty. An orange wedge gives it even more flavor

MindGoneHaywire
10-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Hoeegarden is I think a "White Beer." Which is different from a wheat beer, though a bit similar...but you can get confused since in some places a white bear is called a Weissbier, so I think somewhere there's a common usage. Before I'd developed a taste for the White--I've been drinking Hefeweizen for nearly 15 years--I asked for a Weiss someplace & they brought me a White. It wasn't what I expected. But I believe both are considered to be summer beers. I don't do the lemon, though. I'm not really into citrus in my beer. I like the taste of beer. A wedge of lemon is okay in a diet soda, but...

...if there's something that goes well in a Hefeweizen, it's a dollup of raspberry syrup. I have been relegated to mostly light beer for the past few years for health reasons, but the only beer stronger than that that I'll actually seek out is Paulaner Hefeweizen, which I believe stands up to bottling as well or better than any of the others, though SchneiderWeisse I think claims to be the original, and then there's Wiehenstephaner, which is also excellent. Those are sometimes a bit more expensive, though. Anyway, there's a place in Yorkville, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, which was once a primarily German immigrant neighborhood, a restaurant called Heidelberg, where they carry a beer I wasn't familiar with called BerlinerWeisse that they do this with...but even better is a place in Hoboken called the Brass Rail that uses Hacker-Pschorr, and it's fantastic.

There may be, at this point, an American product that tastes like Hefeweizen. It's been awhile since I tried a new one, but I gave up a long time ago as none of them ever tasted like a Hefeweizen, or anything like it, to me. And I've had a lot of beers that say 'Wheat Beer' on the label, but don't taste anything like what I consider a wheat beer to taste like, either. So I stick with the ones I named, and maybe one or two more...Aventinus is a great dark wheat, but...very strong. Way past what I can drink, but back in the day I had more than a few & I recommend that one heartily.

If I had to choose only one beer that I could drink for the rest of my life--the issue of being able to drink only light beer, really, aside--it would be Paulaner Hefeweizen. I mean, Belgian Abbey ales are obviously superior, but you can't drink them on a regular basis & they don't exactly go down well on a hot summer afternoon. Wheat beer a summer beer only? Not for me.

Zombie
10-27-2005, 10:10 AM
...it would be Paulaner Hefeweizen.
Yeah, like I said I'm not that big on the Hefes, but I do love those German pilsners from Paulaner and Spaten. Those are my real favorites. Used to get a lot of that Paulaner Premium in the big bottles. Same with Spaten, but there are a quite a few places these days with the Spaten on tap too, and it's usually great. Everything else is just a placeholder or flavor of the week for me ;)