Advice Needed - Celestion Ditton 66 Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - Celestion Ditton 66 Speakers

Laneyflower
10-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi, I am new here. I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of Celestion Ditton 66 speakers last December which had all been rewired. I know very little about the technical side of speakers and need some advice. I was gutted to find a few days ago that the midrange speaker on on speaker is distorting/sounds bad at higher volumes. I switched around the speaker wires on the amp and the same speaker still has the same problem so it is not my equipment. I have done a little bit of research on the Internet and am I right in thinking that it may not necessarily be the cone that is at fault but something in the wiring, the cross overs? Or maybe a capacitator? I have removed this sealed unit carefully and looked at it and the cone seems intact and in fact after removing and replacing it the speaker did not sound as bad/distort as much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Until now any speakers I have had which died on me I simply replaced but I love these speakers and want to try and either fix them myself or am looking for a speaker doctor in the Berks/Oxfordshire area who may be able to help. I understand that if the actual mid range speaker is at fault that it may take me a long time to find a replacement.