Is it OK to pass through Speaker Selector??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to pass through Speaker Selector???

RLiu818
10-24-2005, 02:20 PM
I just got my Klipsch KSW-12 and I hooked it up with the bare wire IN connections.

Currently, I have my receiver (which only has one OUT) connected to a speaker selector. And from the speaker selectors, I have selection 'A' connected to my floor speakers, and selection 'B' connected to my new Subwoofer.

So far everything works alrite.. but I am wondering if using a speaker selector as a splitter will affect sound quality.

Thanks.

hometheaterbug
10-25-2005, 04:54 AM
You can do it anyway you want but I'd just run the bar wires through the crossover on the KSW12 and forget the "B" channel, run everything through "A".Find out what the -3db point is on your speakers ( on the low end ) and try crossing over one octive higher.For example , if your speakers -3db point is 40 Hz, you might try crossing over the sub at 60Hz, in other words let the sub do the work from 60Hz down.Find the -3db point and add 20 to it, this is the crossover point.This will save you some amplifier(reciever)power and will stop your mains from trying to reproduce low frequencies they really can't handle.In the end you'll get a clearer sound.This is a suggestion I've seen in various write ups and confirmed with speaker engineers.The sound your going to hear depends greatly on the room size/shape and whats in the room.It's all matter of taste so play around and see what works for you.Hope this helps...

pelly3s
10-25-2005, 06:16 AM
You can do it anyway you want but I'd just run the bar wires through the crossover on the KSW12 and forget the "B" channel, run everything through "A".Find out what the -3db point is on your speakers ( on the low end ) and try crossing over one octive higher.For example , if your speakers -3db point is 40 Hz, you might try crossing over the sub at 60Hz, in other words let the sub do the work from 60Hz down.Find the -3db point and add 20 to it, this is the crossover point.This will save you some amplifier(reciever)power and will stop your mains from trying to reproduce low frequencies they really can't handle.In the end you'll get a clearer sound.This is a suggestion I've seen in various write ups and confirmed with speaker engineers.The sound your going to hear depends greatly on the room size/shape and whats in the room.It's all matter of taste so play around and see what works for you.Hope this helps...

i dont wanna sound like im being a pain in the ass but first you said crossover at one octave above the initial roll off then you said add 20Hz. Your suggestion is right but I would go with the adding 20Hz rather than going up an octave