The Fog... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Fog...

Lexmark3200
10-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Saw this yesterday with the free admission tickets included in the DVD Special Edition of the original film, and I gotta say, it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, and I think I know why. Carpenter co-produced this and had his hand in remaking it, along with Debra Hill, and believe me folks, that makes ALL the difference when doing a remake. The ghost effects here regarding the leper colony from the Elizabeth Dane are of course more up to date with CGI, which wasnt available back when Carpenter made his original, and they resemble the "skeleton effects" used in films like Pirates of the Caribbean and Ghost Ship; at any rate, this may be a purchase for me when it hits DVD. The story follows ALMOST the exact same pacing and characterization as Carpenter's original -- and the whole Elizabth Dane story is explained much better, how the conspirators of Antonio Bay (changed from California to Oregon in this version) planned to steal the gold from Blake and his leper colony, and why the ghosts seek revenge. The same character names are used here, too --- Nick Castle, Stevie Wayne, etc. and instead of Adrienne Barbeau spinning oldies in her lighthouse radio station, WKAB, we now have a young, sexy chick (also single with a kid like Barbeau was in the original) spinning house and club music. The same boat is attacked by the fog in the beginning -- the Seagrass -- but this time we have the prerequisite African American member of the crew who talks like an aspiring Rap artist while two white half-naked girls dance with each other on the boat in a drunken stupor; why does every remake or modern-day horror film have to include this cliche? As soon as I saw Busta Rhymes appear in the last Halloween film, and he proclaimed "Happy Halloween, Motha ****a!" I knew horror cinema was done forever. Its just ridiculous.

Anyone else get a chance to see this remake yet?

The ending was dissapointing, as well, as I just didnt get it......it made absolutely no sense to me or my better half. The ending of the original was cool as hell, where Father Patrick Malone (played by Hal Holbrook, and the character returning in the remake) is wondering why "Blake" didnt kill him as one of the conspirators but is hacked to death by the ghost of Blake standing in the shadows with glowing red eyes just before the credits role......Carpenter created an awesome ending there. In this version, I just dont know what happened.

steamboy 2
10-24-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm a african american dude myself and i also agree that these type of parts are dumb & now very cliche' it makes us look like we talk & act like rappers & that keeps me away from alot of todays horror movies. now, i was waiting for a review from you about this & 80 to 90 percent of the time i do agree with your reviews but, as a fan of a classic like the fog i think i will wait untill DVD.

another good review lex !

mike

Lexmark3200
10-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm a african american dude myself and i also agree that these type of parts are dumb & now very cliche' it makes us look like we talk & act like rappers & that keeps me away from alot of todays horror movies. now, i was waiting for a review from you about this & 80 to 90 percent of the time i do agree with your reviews but, as a fan of a classic like the fog i think i will wait untill DVD.

another good review lex !

mike

Hey Mike,

If you're not kidding about your ethnicity, I meant no disrespect at all -- I was merely saying, yeah, why do all these new horror films HAVE to have these wanna-be-gangsters up onscreen in favor of better talent just to satisfy teenage audiences who can't relate to anything but the Hip Hop culture we're living in?

Oh, and I am no, way, shape or form saying this was BETTER than Carpenter's original -- it WASN'T.....it was just decent in this flood of remakes we're enduring.

I have a link, if you would like to read it, that they MAY be making FREDDY VS JASON VS MICHAEL (Myers, from Halloween) AND re-doing FRIDAY THE 13th as a remake....

Can you believe this ****?

As always, thanks so much for your kind words about the review, although I didnt really consider this an "official review" just some commentary about the remake.

steamboy 2
10-25-2005, 01:19 PM
No problem lex i understood what you meant, and i feel the same way about the type of talent they choose for today's horror movies. it for the most part keeps me away from them as far as going to the movies to see them.

mike

Lexmark3200
10-25-2005, 01:33 PM
No problem lex i understood what you meant, and i feel the same way about the type of talent they choose for today's horror movies. it for the most part keeps me away from them as far as going to the movies to see them.

mike

Coooooooool.