What's so great about Fiona Apple? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about Fiona Apple?

Snowbunny
10-24-2005, 10:42 AM
The buzz about her new release makes it sound like the second coming, but I saw her perform on Letterman and I thought she sucked!

It seems like I should like her. Anyone here familiar with her music?

Snowbuns

Duds
10-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I wouldnt base your opinion of her on this latest album. I didn't like it all that much, but like her other stuff quite a bit. I've seen her live before too and also thought she was great live.

The buzz about her new release makes it sound like the second coming, but I saw her perform on Letterman and I thought she sucked!

Snowbuns

Finch Platte
10-24-2005, 11:32 AM

Snowbuns

...listened to it at the listening station, and couldn't get past the intros to the first 2 songs. Not my cuppa, either. :rolleyes:

fp

Davey
10-24-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't know. She has a very loyal following and does get a lot of critical acclaim as well. Pretty sophisticated music at times for the level of commercial success she's enjoyed since her big selling hit debut, which I have but never listened to all that much. She's getting a lot of attention now because of the manufactured controversy around her current album, which originally leaked last year in a more orchestrated Jon Brion produced version, but was held back by either Fiona or Sony, depending on whom you wanna believe, and re-recorded with a different producer for most of the songs with a more commercial sound. Mike and I were talking some about her last month at http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=104556

Just type "Free Fiona" in Google for more info.

Snowbunny
10-24-2005, 01:46 PM
She's getting a lot of attention now because of the manufactured controversy around her current album, which originally leaked last year in a more orchestrated Jon Brion produced version, but was held back by either Fiona or Sony, depending on whom you wanna believe, and re-recorded with a different producer for most of the songs with a more commercial sound.

Geez, I wonder if we have Wilco to blame for this "manufactured controversy" style of marketing?

I've heard some compare her to Tori Amos, but I wonder now it that's because of her "odd" live performances, cause it sure doesn't have much to do with her voice. Any RIYL?

And speaking of voice, have you heard the new Bjork? I hear its mostly instrumental but with "what's his name", from that band you and I like, collaborating. Make sense? ;)

Snowbuns

Nice to see this message board is hiring disable smilies now! Welcome "Big Grin".

Mike
10-25-2005, 01:45 AM
I've got her debut 'Tidal' which I really like there's some powerful emotive stuff in there like Slow Like Honey and Sullen Girl and it's a nice recording to boot. The second 'When The Pawn' was much more commercial and even though I have it I don't play it that much. Dave pointed me in the direction of all the recent controversy and I can't help feeling it's all a ploy.

As for Tori I suppose I can sort of see the similarity to Tori Amos (who I might add her latest album is a gem) female singer songwriter, plays piano, has a dark off beat side kind of commercial - but not.

I'd check out her first album for sure which you can pick up cheap

Cheers
Mike

Audio Girl
10-25-2005, 05:44 AM
I've got her debut 'Tidal' which I really like there's some powerful emotive stuff in there like Slow Like Honey and Sullen Girl and it's a nice recording to boot. The second 'When The Pawn' was much more commercial and even though I have it I don't play it that much. Dave pointed me in the direction of all the recent controversy and I can't help feeling it's all a ploy.

As for Tori I suppose I can sort of see the similarity to Tori Amos (who I might add her latest album is a gem) female singer songwriter, plays piano, has a dark off beat side kind of commercial - but not.

I'd check out her first album for sure which you can pick up cheap

Cheers
Mike

Mike, I like "Tital" also...particularly the song "Criminal". It's probably her most approachable release...but having said that, I'm not much of a fan.

newtrix1
10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
She's cute! But maybe she's just not your type :rolleyes:

http://www.fiona-apple.com/html_content/gallery/images/image05.jpg

Duds
10-25-2005, 01:21 PM
definitely my type :)

She's cute! But maybe she's just not your type :rolleyes:

http://www.fiona-apple.com/html_content/gallery/images/image05.jpg

Dusty Chalk
10-26-2005, 12:39 PM
I like her, very soulful voice for someone so young, but then again, I haven't heard the new one yet.

A little too skinny for my tastes (inside joke for Fiona Apple fans).

tentoze
10-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Well, her last name is edible- that has to count for something.

magno@mac.com
10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
...and she's cute in that "skanky ho" sorta way.

Have you ever heard Sheryl Crow acoustic? I remember hearing her on Howard Stern and thinking "who is this horrible singer?" turned out it was Sheryl. It's amazing what producers and recording engineers can do.

Snowbuns

3-LockBox
10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
definitely my type :)
she's ah-ite...jus ah-ite...

shokhead
10-28-2005, 06:09 AM
Something dam sexy about her. Any nudes? LOL