JVC Turntable armed and dangerous [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JVC Turntable armed and dangerous

Bicycletaxi
10-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Hello testing 1234 check check,

New hear, just testing the waters for depth of knowledge = could use some help.

My JVC QL-Y66F turntable has a straight arm with a Ortofon 20 mm cart & sti. The JVC web site never heard of their own product... never mind anyone else.

I would like to get a second arm with a better mm cart and sti. I do like the Ortofon but want to switch back and forth between my virgin vinyl and my tried and true collection. Also I would like to keep a spare arm around for unknown quality tryouts.

Any clue where I can get compatable arms for that model TT.
Cartridge/sti sugestions

Just to make things a challenge I could use a new dust cover that is specific to the JVC TT .

Can I get a witness !

Once upon a time it was state of the art with a 15" precision lathed platter and sensitive tracking, Q dampening and skating control.

My whole analog system has just been restored. It is fairly simple.

Carver magnetic field power amp w/ integrated receiver/ do not chuckle it is a clean machine

And (ta da) fully restored JBL 240 TI speakers

with the JVC TT.

I run cd dvd's through a lofi computer system I never liked cd sound but it's taken me 20 years to get the turntable fixed. the amp and speakers needed to be brought back to specs as well.

Now there is a whole lota shakin goin on

Tanx in advance

bicycletaxi

JohnMichael
10-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Hello testing 1234 check check,

New hear, just testing the waters for depth of knowledge = could use some help.

My JVC QL-Y66F turntable has a straight arm with a Ortofon 20 mm cart & sti. The JVC web site never heard of their own product... never mind anyone else.

I would like to get a second arm with a better mm cart and sti. I do like the Ortofon but want to switch back and forth between my virgin vinyl and my tried and true collection. Also I would like to keep a spare arm around for unknown quality tryouts.

Any clue where I can get compatable arms for that model TT.
Cartridge/sti sugestions

Just to make things a challenge I could use a new dust cover that is specific to the JVC TT .

Can I get a witness !

Once upon a time it was state of the art with a 15" precision lathed platter and sensitive tracking, Q dampening and skating control.

My whole analog system has just been restored. It is fairly simple.

Carver magnetic field power amp w/ integrated receiver/ do not chuckle it is a clean machine

And (ta da) fully restored JBL 240 TI speakers

with the JVC TT.

I run cd dvd's through a lofi computer system I never liked cd sound but it's taken me 20 years to get the turntable fixed. the amp and speakers needed to be brought back to specs as well.

Now there is a whole lota shakin goin on

Tanx in advance

bicycletaxi

You are causing me to knock some cobwebs out of the old brain. When I sold audio in the very early 80's we carried JVC. They had an upscale line of turntables. I owned one that was direct drive with a good quality manual tonearm. The series I think you are talking about had an arm similar to some of the Denon arms. It had a method of controlling the arm/tracking force so the force did not change as the stylus went up and down warps. As you said it was called Q damping. If memory is correct those arms were not replaceable. I also remember the arms working better with moving coil cartridges than high compliant induced magnet cartridges. I would keep the turntable as is and buy a good moving coil cartridge. Check with www.needledoctor.com or www.amusicdirect.com they may have better memories and more information. they may have better memories and more information.

Jose Garcia
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi!

I have one of these units since 1984. The unit came with two arm tubes, one straight and one S shaped. I use the straight one.

You can still find information about parts from it at:

http://www.jvcservice.com/service/JMdlPrtXrf.asp?PgReq=DspDta&MdlNbr=QL-Y66F

Regards.

trollgirl
10-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Vintage tables are plentiful. Buy another one with a good arm, and mount some other cartridge on it. Invest in a record cleaning machine. Have one belt drive and one direct drive. Have one MM and one MC. Experiment. Report back...

Laz