Does a perfect remote control exist? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does a perfect remote control exist?

snodog
10-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Just wondering what everyones input is on remotes? I cannot seem to find one that I like without paying an arm and leg. The last one I bought from radio shack was one of those kameleons which glows bright. It was actually pretty cool but would come on all the time and lacked the ability to change my receiver's input. I took it back and havent found anything that I like since...any suggestions?

EdwardGein
10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Just remember there are no free lunches. You can get an excellent Harmony Universal 676 remote for around $125 or so online. Someone said, that you can find a decent Harmony remote of another model for around $65 on Ebay. You gots to pay if you want to play.

snodog
10-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Eddy Gein, for some reason you scare me...anyhow I was looking at the 880's by Harmony on Ebay. I bet soon all the remotes will be color screens and pc programmed. Those phillips suckers are really cool but man 450.00?

EdwardGein
10-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Harmony Remotes are excellent. If you have a budget of $125 or so, you can get an excellent 676 somewhere online brand new. I'm not sure what the 880's are going for but if I didn't have 2 676's and could get the 880 for $150 I'd do it. Since I got Harmony, I don't need any other remote as it does everything great with little effort & you can make extra money selling your now obsolte remotes. The main thing is for you to set everything up the way you want it. If you bought one, I'd first write down everything you want it to do and what buttons you want to control. I know I initially had to, despite its great computer downloading, contact their customer service & they were very helpful in setting my remote up. The only caveat on the Harmony & this may run true for all universals which is why I have 2, if you have 2 different brand TV's, you can't get one remote to do both TV's without running into many problems. You'll be happy with whatever Harmony you select.

nightflier
10-25-2005, 03:04 PM
I believe Logitech is relabelling the Harmony remotes and they are very popular right now because they have a familiar computer interface. You might want to check out this site:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

Great reviews, including for the Harmony remote.

snodog
10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks, yes that is a good site. I have been going there off and on for awhile now. I cant help but wonder though, it seems that almost none of the remotes score above average unless they are priced at some ridiculous amount which even then they dont get a perfect 5 out of 5. In fact that site is what influenced me to post this thread. After reviewing the reviews I am frustrated and dont know what to get.

nightflier
10-25-2005, 05:18 PM
After reviewing the reviews I am frustrated and dont know what to get.

If you are comfortable with computers, I highly recommend one with a computer interface. This will allow you to easily program the remote and install updates (such as manufacturer codes) much more easily. The Harmony remotes are excellent.

snodog
10-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Yes, I actually JUST bought the Harmony 880. I was going to buy the phillips tsu7000....then I violently slapped myself in the face and realized my foolishness. Remotes just simply should not cost over $200. Plain and simple. If it was a pocket pc I could see the extra. I hope like hell I like this though, I have never owned a good remote and hate fumbling with 4 in the dark.

EdwardGein
10-25-2005, 08:26 PM
My sole problem with the 676 is, if I'm watching TV/DVD in a pitch black room, it is very difficult to send the control buttons. Does the 880 have some kind of light with it that lasts more than 5 seconds?

snodog
10-25-2005, 09:34 PM
I dont know, but I was hoping it would have some illumination on the hard buttons but I doubt it. I hate trying to find buttons in the dark, especially if you are unfamiliar with some of the buttons you dont use often. If I dont like it I will sell it and either get the ts7000 or something similar that glows. I actually dont have the unit yet. I bought in online so it wil take a few days but then I will let you know what I think of it.

evil__betty
10-27-2005, 11:36 PM
My sole problem with the 676 is, if I'm watching TV/DVD in a pitch black room, it is very difficult to send the control buttons. Does the 880 have some kind of light with it that lasts more than 5 seconds?

Just bought the 880. It has a little gyro in it that senses movement so that when you pick it up, the whole remote will light up and won't dim until you hit the 'glow' button or leave it level for about 30 sec. Absolutly fantasic and the battery will last about 4 days before a full recharge is needed. Well worth the price, plus it is a cool thing to show off to your friends when they come over.

EdwardGein
10-28-2005, 12:11 AM
I'm in love with the 880 now & all I have to do is figure out how I can afford to divorce my 676's!
I gots to have it!

hermann_giron
10-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Multiple Activities, Fully Programable (with web interface), great battery life, Back Lit, less than $80 on ebay.

The 880 looks great but $200 for a remote seems like overkill to me, when the 659 does all you need.

look at the different models, as button placement and format is a bit different in each model.

evil__betty
10-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Multiple Activities, Fully Programable (with web interface), great battery life, Back Lit, less than $80 on ebay.

The 880 looks great but $200 for a remote seems like overkill to me, when the 659 does all you need.

look at the different models, as button placement and format is a bit different in each model.
I totally agree! The 880 is overkill, but it was one of those things that I decided to splurge on. The only thing that the 659 does not do well (or even at all) are DVD recorders and PVR's - thats why there are step up models.

snodog
10-28-2005, 10:07 PM
That is one of the biggest complaints that I have seen is the lack of compatibility with dvrs. I dont have one so I wouldnt know. Evil Betty, do the hard buttons have a glow to them too? When Im drunk I dont want to try and feel my way around the remote. Another complaint is that it doesnt always remember macro commands. How about when you switch it from operation to another? Is there a seperate power button for individual components? I mean if I have it programed to turn on all my components when I want to watch a movie then what if I already have my tv and stereo on? Does it shut them off and turn on my dvd player?

evil__betty
10-28-2005, 11:59 PM
That is one of the biggest complaints that I have seen is the lack of compatibility with dvrs. I dont have one so I wouldnt know. Evil Betty, do the hard buttons have a glow to them too? When Im drunk I dont want to try and feel my way around the remote. Another complaint is that it doesnt always remember macro commands. How about when you switch it from operation to another? Is there a seperate power button for individual components? I mean if I have it programed to turn on all my components when I want to watch a movie then what if I already have my tv and stereo on? Does it shut them off and turn on my dvd player?

On the LCD display, you can have a bunch of 'hot keys' that will allow you to quickly and easily adjust settings. For example: When I hit "watch a movie" button, I have the LCD programmed to read THX, Auto Surround, Eject, Stereo. These are functions that I would use all the time and have easy access to. If I want to go from watching a movie (tv, dvd, receiver - on) to watch tv (tv, cable box, receiver - on), it will leave the tv on, but change to the proper input, leave the receiver on, but change to the proper input, turn the dvd player off, and turn the cable box on. There is a 'off' switch that turns everything off, but if I want control just my receiver without affecting anything else (including turing it off) there is a device button that you push that will allow you to select what you want to control.

And, yes, all of the buttons are back lit. So, when you're drunk and sitting in front of your system, you should have no problem finding the right buttons to push. Mind you, your visoin might be off a wee bit.

EdwardGein
10-29-2005, 01:32 AM
676 Works great with DVRS

snodog
10-29-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks evilB! I am really excited about it now. Maybe I'll give a full review after using it a couple weeks. I wish I had the light dimming feature in my home. It should control everything (even others thoughts) for its price tag though.

snodog
11-05-2005, 12:34 PM
This remote control (Harmony 880) is AWESOME! At first I thought it seemed light and cheap which it does, but the overall user customizeable options are great. I havent had it long and dont really like to review something or comment on it until it has had a break in period and prove to be lemon proof, but I will say that thus far I love it.

N. Abstentia
11-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Agreed, the 880 is the cat's ass. It does feel quite plasticy and cheap..especially compared to my Home Theater Master...but as long as it don't break that's not a problem.

snodog
11-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Well I will say this: Dont bother getting this remote if you are NOT going to take the time to learn how to fully use its features. My biggest complaint was that I had to scroll through several pages of options to find something like a simple input change on my receiver. Then after I called tech support which I think was very good they showed me how to easily create these "hot" buttons that show up on the lcd screen so it makes everything easy and accessible. Although sometimes the devices dont run in the sequence of activities properly (it may be from me covering the remote and pushing buttons trying to get into activities menu without actually changing it on the tv) so it remembers your command but not a problem with the help button to reset it. This is definately a great rc and after using the tech support twice and them being very friendly and helpful I would recommend this to anyone willing to take alittle time to play with a new toy.