-db volume [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : -db volume

jepiiv
01-10-2004, 11:44 AM
I am sorry to be so ignorant but I think I'm not alone. I have asked several people at my local "high end" stereo outlets this same question and after about 10 seconds I realize that they don't know, but don't want to admit they don't know, so they talk in circles. I t would be greatly appreciated if someone could explain what -db is. My Yamaha RX-V2400 has -db settings on the volume control. My normal comfortable listening range is around -20db. If I'm in the mood to crank I turn it up to -10db. My question is, isn't 0db silence? I have yet to have heard an explanation that sounds reasonable. I thank all in advance for attempting to clarify this for me.

TinHere
01-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I am sorry to be so ignorant but I think I'm not alone. I have asked several people at my local "high end" stereo outlets this same question and after about 10 seconds I realize that they don't know, but don't want to admit they don't know, so they talk in circles. I t would be greatly appreciated if someone could explain what -db is. My Yamaha RX-V2400 has -db settings on the volume control. My normal comfortable listening range is around -20db. If I'm in the mood to crank I turn it up to -10db. My question is, isn't 0db silence? I have yet to have heard an explanation that sounds reasonable. I thank all in advance for attempting to clarify this for me.

When calibrating a system 0 is the predetermined reference level, often 85db. Ergo -20 would be 65db. The closer to 0 in the minuses the closer to refererence level [louder] it gets. Past 0 in the plusses is louder than reference.

recoveryone
01-11-2004, 08:57 AM

Tin is right, when HT came into its own and reference levels were set, manufactures jumped on this knowlegde and change the volume setup on their system to reflect the reference mark. Even the lower and mid range models have this type of setup now. Your normal listening level is about right (-20). Also your speakers will have an effect on this, less power needed to drive them or more power. Room size is also a factor, larger rooms need higher volume to fill it compared to smaller rooms ( my bedroom system is set at -41 compared to the family room set at -30 and room shaking level of -18. Some complain about this new system, cuz they don't hear any sound until around -40 when the dial start at -90.

Bedroom system:

Pioneer VSX D411
Pioneer DV 525
Philips TV 19"
Philips HiFi VCR

Speakers:

Fronts Optimus Pro X77's
Center Optimus CS 3
Rears Optimus Pro X77's
Sub KLH SW120