Help please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Stewrt
01-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Hello everyone,

I've searched though the threads looking for what people use for power surge protection and conditioning. No one seems to agree. Someone did post a bit from Consumer Reports saying which they had rated best. But after reading what Consumer Reports did about Bose after the lawsuit I have a hard time trusting Consumer Reports even anymore.

Basics of this thread is that I will be moving to Puerto Rico in a few months and want to protect my system from Brown outs and surges, Conditioning would be a bonus to whatever I get if it's available in the paticular product.
I'm not a big fan of any Monster products. I Believe there is more cost for the name than anything else you get.

I have found this Company. They seem to make alot of hype about their product and how it blows away the competition. Just that I'm not an electrical engineer and all these specs really fluster me. If someone who has a clue could look at some of the info on this site and give me some feedback that would be great. http://www.brickwall.com/
Itr looks like it would be the choice for me by what they say, but like I said I really dont know what they are saying in the finer points of the whole thing.
And would this companies pruducts be able to handle some high current gear, (big amps and such).

Otherwise I would really appreciate some info if you have some.

Thanks,
Stewrt

mtrycraft
01-11-2004, 12:15 AM
But after reading what Consumer Reports did about Bose after the lawsuit I have a hard time trusting Consumer Reports even anymore.Thanks Stewrt

What has CR doen after the lawsuit? Please present the evidence, not speculate what others may have speculated about. CR has been accused in the past, no evidence has ever been presented to support any of those accusations.

You don't have to accept the CR report. We all make choices.
I womnder why CR didn't cave in after Suzuki sued them.

Stewrt
01-11-2004, 03:30 PM
You guys and girls cant stick to a subject to for S**T.

mtrycraft, It was just an article I had read and then seem something similar on this site about the same sujbject.

Any Electrical engineers around? Avionics technicians. even an electrician.
I really think that understanding the information on the above posted website ( http://www.brickwall.com/ ) could help us all if we could all understand it. Seems these really expensive and fancy lookin power conditioners are really selling well. But then I hear mixed reviews about the results of them here as well.

Please respond if you can help out the subject some,

Thanks,
Stewrt

Willow
01-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Hello everyone,

I've searched though the threads looking for what people use for power surge protection and conditioning. No one seems to agree. Someone did post a bit from Consumer Reports saying which they had rated best. But after reading what Consumer Reports did about Bose after the lawsuit I have a hard time trusting Consumer Reports even anymore.

Basics of this thread is that I will be moving to Puerto Rico in a few months and want to protect my system from Brown outs and surges, Conditioning would be a bonus to whatever I get if it's available in the paticular product.
I'm not a big fan of any Monster products. I Believe there is more cost for the name than anything else you get.

I have found this Company. They seem to make alot of hype about their product and how it blows away the competition. Just that I'm not an electrical engineer and all these specs really fluster me. If someone who has a clue could look at some of the info on this site and give me some feedback that would be great. http://www.brickwall.com/
Itr looks like it would be the choice for me by what they say, but like I said I really dont know what they are saying in the finer points of the whole thing.
And would this companies pruducts be able to handle some high current gear, (big amps and such).

Otherwise I would really appreciate some info if you have some.

Thanks,
Stewrt

I too was looking for a surge/power bar with a filter. I saw monster and like you said way over priced for what you get. The I found RCA performance series. They have may models I bought one and works great so far. Check them out and dont waste your money on Monster

mtrycraft
01-12-2004, 09:50 PM
You guys and girls cant stick to a subject to for S**T.

You made a rather interesting claim.

mtrycraft, It was just an article I had read and then seem something similar on this site about the same sujbject.

You you just repeat something you have no idea about because it was in an written article and accused a reputable outfit that has not lost a lawsuit from day one, 1936.

Seems these really expensive and fancy lookin power conditioners are really selling well.

Marketing and gullible buyers.

You don't think CR knows how to test a surge protector?

piece-it pete
01-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Hello!

I'm no expert but read a post by an electical tech elsewhere who rec'd going to your local Computer supply store & buy a decent quality (by eye) unit with a large number of joules (some sort of measurement).

Good luck.

Pete

zapr
01-19-2004, 12:30 PM
I pick up a monster hts 2000 and it works fine.It cleaned up the audio. I don't care about consumer reports or who agrees or disagrees or whether a comparison was done. It worked for what I needed it for........imagine that.

Umrswimr
01-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Christ, Mtry- can't you just HELP the guy out? :confused:

I read a review of some of the Brickwall stuff a year or so ago and it was, as I remember, favorably reviewed.

One product that has never failed to get positive reviews is the PS Audio brand... I have personally never herd them, but I can't argue with the huge following they appear to have in publications like Stereophile, HT Magazine, and SGTH.

The only drawback is that they are a little on the pricey side. Keep in mind that most of the line conditioners (like my Monster 3500) cannot help you in event of a brownout. The PS Audio will help you, down to a certain voltage level...

http://www.hometheatermag.com/accessories/47/index.html

mtrycraft
01-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Christ, Mtry- can't you just HELP the guy out? :confused:

I did. He didn't like it and blasted CR.

I read a review of some of the Brickwall stuff a year or so ago and it was, as I remember, favorably reviewed.

By whom? Not all reviews worth a hoot.

RGA
01-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Most of these units you can buy and if you don't like them you can return them. One of the Monster cables reduced the noise floor of a Marantz receiver right there on the measuring instruments by 24 db. You hear a hiss and then you put that on and the hiss. Now the measuring instrument had an amplifier in order for the hiss to be heard in the first place...so Yes it does what it claimed...but whether in a NORMAL environment you'd hear it is another matter. It did clear up the picture though and anyone can see that...so if Video is a major part here then the Monster again does as claimed.

Now, you'll probably find something at Radio Shack that can do the exact same thing for 1/5 the price...but then again maybe not.

Interestingly most people should be able to demand their hydro/cable and phone company check out and filter out any problems you're having for free. Which means you don't need to buy these things.

In your case it's worth a try...but the brick wall does not seem much cheaper? I would go to the propeller head forum at http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/prophead/bbs.html

You can discuss any ubject and argue Double blind testing on cables/conditioners technical merits in endless threads. I'm surprised I've never seen the usuals here over there.

Stewrt
01-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks all for the advice, I've been reading up some more and still havent decided on a product, but have pretty much decided that I dont want anything with MOV's in it.

I'm going to go and check out some of the sites and equiptment you recogmended and I'm sure it will all help out.

Thanks again all,
Stewrt

manek
01-26-2004, 03:29 AM
what I have done is buy a good power stabiliser depending on the power consumption of your devices and add 50% more. This stabilizer is servo based with step up and step down function. It protects for fluctuations of +-50V.

Secondly buy a good spike buster(power strip with spike protection), the stuff you would use with your PC. There are other devices which say they filter Rf interference etc but dont know how much.

This should do it.

Manek.