looking to swap TT clamps... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking to swap TT clamps...

thepogue
10-22-2005, 01:25 PM
I've been wanting a TT clamp for a bit (don't ask me why...just anothe thiny I guess) and I've got a quite nice one (notsure of the brand) but it's quite heavy and althouhg it don't totally "bottom-out" my LP12's suspention I'm not going to use it due to set-up issues. Anyone have a less weighty "gripper" type that they are willing to swap for weighty one? I'll use it on my "B" TT but would really like to have someone who could use a nice weighty clamp..

let me know

thepogue@yahoo.com

Peace, Pogue

JohnMichael
10-22-2005, 02:44 PM
I've been wanting a TT clamp for a bit (don't ask me why...just anothe thiny I guess) and I've got a quite nice one (notsure of the brand) but it's quite heavy and althouhg it don't totally "bottom-out" my LP12's suspention I'm not going to use it due to set-up issues. Anyone have a less weighty "gripper" type that they are willing to swap for weighty one? I'll use it on my "B" TT but would really like to have someone who could use a nice weighty clamp..

let me know

thepogue@yahoo.com

Peace, Pogue

I used to have a Souther Clever Clamp and if I can find it it's yours. I use the Ringmat cork and fiber mat and they recommend not using a clamp. You might want to try one of those. I have read that it works well in place of the Linn felt mat. It is excellent on my Rega.

thepogue
10-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I'll swap ya some vinyl or somfinn fun...and if I 'memeber the clever clamp would fit the bill!! Let me know if ya find her and if there's something your looking for by way of vinyl let me know...or any other audio stuff for that matter

Peace, Pogue

hifitommy
10-23-2005, 09:12 AM
it would be the michell (amusicdirect.com has em). i have a sota tt w/clamp so i dont need one. the michell appears to be lightweight and thin at its edge, a benefit for some cartridges like the v15Vxmr which rubs my sota clamp (guess i gotta get a LIFT from express machining).

<O:p</O:pi know the weight thing can be a problem with some TTs, my friends suspended tt cant use the sota nor the mapleknoll.

<O:p</O:ppoguey, when are ya gonna try some tubes in the front end? even though i have an arc, i snagged a bellari and for the $155+$10 shipping from B&H photo, its a bargain. but as a move i would REALLY suggest a complete pre as the line stage in my arc is SUPERB. sp3s, sp9s, sp6s, are all great and have great reputations. there are two sp6s on agon right now.

thepogue
10-23-2005, 12:04 PM
A tube pre is first on my wish list!! A friend of mine runs all ARC and I know tubes in the front end but I'm not sure the model. We've been talking for a few months (at the shop) for me to get over there and hear his set-up so this might be the nudge I needed to make it happen. Which Model are you running the 6's? Pogue

it would be the michell (amusicdirect.com has em). i have a sota tt w/clamp so i dont need one. the michell appears to be lightweight and thin at its edge, a benefit for some cartridges like the v15Vxmr which rubs my sota clamp (guess i gotta get a LIFT from express machining).

<O:p</O:pi know the weight thing can be a problem with some TTs, my friends suspended tt cant use the sota nor the mapleknoll.

<O:p</O:ppoguey, when are ya gonna try some tubes in the front end? even though i have an arc, i snagged a bellari and for the $155+$10 shipping from B&H photo, its a bargain. but as a move i would REALLY suggest a complete pre as the line stage in my arc is SUPERB. sp3s, sp9s, sp6s, are all great and have great reputations. there are two sp6s on agon right now.

hifitommy
10-23-2005, 03:07 PM
upgraded from a sp3a1 which blew my sox off in the line stage. NOT tubelike at all. nor ss. VERY wide dynamics, not warm or soft in the lows, not soft in the top. soundstaging and imaging plus tonal coloration that is vivid. like having a sony color monitor tv.

at present, i am using a soundcraftsmen pe2217 pre/10 band eq as a pre with the bellari in the aux as a phono. the phono of the 2217 is no slouch but the bellari is noticeably better in various respects.

soon, the arc will be back in place and the bellari will be in its aux too. this is a comparison of interest. i dont expect the bellari to better the arc but the diffs should be interesting.

kenny burrell/gil evans-guitar forms is now playing.