Burning smell from Yamaha YST-SW 1500 sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell from Yamaha YST-SW 1500 sub

jd_bodine
10-22-2005, 10:19 AM
My YST 1500 emitted a burning smell from it's front port while watching a movie, I had it a lot louder than what I usually play it at. I'm not getting any type of smell from the rear which has all the circuit boards and the woofer appears to still play well. Can someone provide some advice on what I should do or what could of caused this? I appreciat all info, Thanks.
Jeff

bfalls
10-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Since the speaker is sealed except for the port, my guess is any smoke emitted from the electronics would come out the port during play. I've had a couple of sub amps blow and on both two high wattage resistors, probably in the power supply, got hot. If your sub still works, it's possible they just got hot, but not enough to blow the amp. If you look at the amp's circuit board I'll bet you'll find some discoloration around a pair of large resistors. Since you did see smoke I'm surprised the amp didn't blow.

pelly3s
10-24-2005, 05:29 AM
two possible options, you could have heated up the voice coil a little to cause it to smell or you could have burnt up something on the amp section. Can you describe the burning smell at all

jd_bodine
10-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the responses. I had the sub checked already and it appears everything is working fine. The tech believes the voice coil got hot enough to burn the coating of the coil. The downside is that it's hard to determine the integrity of the coil. So I guess it could be a matter of time before it fails