Do you have HD in you HT....read this! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you have HD in you HT....read this!

robert393
10-22-2005, 04:34 AM
I have gotten quite "spoiled" with HD content. Have you? Here is some REALLY GOOD news for those of us viewing HD! I have VOOM now with 10channels, but 11 additional VOOM channels have been authorized to crank-up in the next couple months!
http://www.cableworld.com/cgi/cw/show_mag.cgi?pub=cw&mon=102405&file=insidethenew.htm
Robert

Smokey
10-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Are there enough content to fill out those extra 11 HD channels?

robert393
10-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Are there enough content to fill out those extra 11 HD channels?"Voom has been banking content in anticipation of the larger deployment. The perception of a dearth of programming has dogged Voom since its early days, when it offered fewer than 1,000 hours of content and subscribers saw endless repeats. Today Voom offers roughly 3,000 hours of native HD content. It will add between 1,000 and 1,500 hours of new content in 2006, Voom co-general manager Greg Moyer says. Voom's 21 channels range from extreme sports and fashion to art and movies. Voom aims to offer something for everyone: concerts on Rave HD, art and museum tours on Gallery HD, exploration and nature on Equator HD and extreme sports on Rush HD. Plans for HD News call for 20 minutes of coverage hourly, up from 12."-http://www.cableworld.com/cgi/cw/show_mag.cgi?pub=cw&mon=102405&file=insidethenew.htm

So....we'll see. For $5 per month, I'm getting my money's worth with only the 10 channels they are transmitting now, and with the other 11 channels (at no additional charge!) in the next couple month, life should be good!~
Robert

N. Abstentia
10-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Man I'm kicking myself for missing out on the "Fashion Runway Channel" in HD.

But seriously...I notice it has a Kung Fu HD channel...how much better do those old kung fu movies from the 60's/70's look in HD?

L.J.
10-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Football + HD = :)

Best 5 bucks I spend every month.

robert393
10-23-2005, 04:08 AM
Football + HD = :)

Best 5 bucks I spend every month.

It don't get much better....Does it!
Robert

jocko_nc
10-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Ahh yes. HD Baseball. Now HD football.

My primary gripe is with the 70 year-old FCC laws that disallow me from watching some HD content off the satellite if the local yee-haw affiliate is providing it in LD. There is no %^$#$ way in &^%$ h*ll I am going to mount a massive VHF antenna / NASA listening station to the roof of the new place I just spend $7K to have designed. Get it looking right, then bolt a 30 foot galvanized tower to the top. How nuts is that? Is it 1968 again????

I am going to petition to the Supreme Court if I have to. Get the paperwork signed in the blood of the local affiliates, if necessary. My new place will sit on the north side of a large hill, totally blocked from the South and all broadcast signals. I WILL have a waiver for remote network access by satellite.

Any advice????

jocko

topspeed
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Ahh yes. HD Baseball. Now HD football.

My primary gripe is with the 70 year-old FCC laws that disallow me from watching some HD content off the satellite if the local yee-haw affiliate is providing it in LD. There is no %^$#$ way in &^%$ h*ll I am going to mount a massive VHF antenna / NASA listening station to the roof of the new place I just spend $7K to have designed. Get it looking right, then bolt a 30 foot galvanized tower to the top. How nuts is that? Is it 1968 again????

I am going to petition to the Supreme Court if I have to. Get the paperwork signed in the blood of the local affiliates, if necessary. My new place will sit on the north side of a large hill, totally blocked from the South and all broadcast signals. I WILL have a waiver for remote network access by satellite.

Any advice????

jockoI'm not sure if I'm following your post, but are you saying that you're not getting the local affiliates in off-air HD? If so, you can get a off-air HD antennae from CC for about $50 that looks like a piece of PVC pipe sticking straight up from your roof. I had one installed when I went HD a couple of months ago and honestly, you never notice it. It's about the only way I can see my beloved Trojans in HD when one of the majors broadcast the game.

jocko_nc
10-26-2005, 02:48 PM
I am 45-60 miles from the transmitters. From everything I have found, I will require a substantial antenna in order to pick up good signals. My new place will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. The law says that if I can get a signal with a full size roof-mount antenna, the affilaites own my sorry *ss.

Frankly, I do not see the logic in buying a big fat antenna, a 'tenna-rotator, the power and signal lines up through my walls and up through my roof. (Which is steep and 2 1/2 stories above ground.) This is NOT the 60's, we have a better way. I am looking at a major project: cutting into walls. cutting into ceiling. Two floors and the attic to the roof. It is a disaster, my house did not allow for this.

I think it sucks. If I want to pay for network content off the bird, I ought to be able to see it. If they want to pass a buck along to the affiliate, so be it. I'll pay. Don't make me put a god-awful contraption on my roof.

At least a couple of years ago you could hack DTV and see what you wanted...

jocko

pizzakid13
10-26-2005, 02:58 PM
I am 45-60 miles from the transmitters. From everything I have found, I will require a substantial antenna in order to pick up good signals. My new place will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. The law says that if I can get a signal with a full size roof-mount antenna, the affilaites own my sorry *ss.

Frankly, I do not see the logic in buying a big fat antenna, a 'tenna-rotator, the power and signal lines up through my walls and up through my roof. (Which is steep and 2 1/2 stories above ground.) This is NOT the 60's, we have a better way. I am looking at a major project: cutting into walls. cutting into ceiling. Two floors and the attic to the roof. It is a disaster, my house did not allow for this.

I think it sucks. If I want to pay for network content off the bird, I ought to be able to see it. If they want to pass a buck along to the affiliate, so be it. I'll pay. Don't make me put a god-awful contraption on my roof.

At least a couple of years ago you could hack DTV and see what you wanted...

jocko
i live about 40 miles from the antenna and the sattelite guy installed an omni-directional unit and the channels come in great. he said he can get that same signal over 100 miles away!

jocko_nc
10-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Where do you live, pizzaguy? What type of terrain? That sounds line a long way to me! I guess my perception comes from that database on the Terk website and whatever website the FCC put up to determine OTA reception.

Honestly, I haven't tried an antenna yet... No real good way to test up on the roof.

Now, as long as I am complaining... FEMA and flood insurance. The first floor of our homesite is 42 feet elevation above full pond level for the lake. Still, FEMA has us listed in the new flood plain, i.e. flood insurance. As though the lake could rise 42 feet. That water is well on its way to Charlotte at 12 feet. Turns out FEMA uses horizontal distance from water, not elevation. Now that makes a lot of sense. At least I know I will be paying to rebuild all those persons who don't buy in to the program.

HA! Jocko is in a foul mood lately...

jocko

pizzakid13
10-26-2005, 07:16 PM
i live in phoenix and the towers for TV transmissions are south of downtown phoenix. i live about 40 miles north with pretty good size terrain in between. i do live about 1500 ft higher than downtown also so that helps. the installer put the new dish and antenna pretty high up. the antenna is pretty large. made by somebody that has a W logo. i thought it was westinghouse but i was wrong. cant remember. looks like a model airplane with huge wings.

recoveryone
10-27-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure if I'm following your post, but are you saying that you're not getting the local affiliates in off-air HD? If so, you can get a off-air HD antennae from CC for about $50 that looks like a piece of PVC pipe sticking straight up from your roof. I had one installed when I went HD a couple of months ago and honestly, you never notice it. It's about the only way I can see my beloved Trojans in HD when one of the majors broadcast the game.Topspeed, who showing USC (Trojans) games in HD?
I went over this same topic a few weeks back and Terrence said the networks don't see much revenue in showing College games in HD, the only ones I seen are on ESPN and for my provider EPSN is HD with no 5.1 just DD stereo. Not the same feel as when I watch Monday night Football or Fox/CBS on Sundays. Nothing puts you closer to being there than when you can hear a side conversation going on in one of your rear speakers as the game is being played. You almost want to turn around and tell them to shutup......lol and watch the game!

GMichael
10-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Nothing puts you closer to being there than when you can hear a side conversation going on in one of your rear speakers as the game is being played. You almost want to turn around and tell them to shutup......lol and watch the game!

My favorite was when you'd hear someone in the stands cursing. "WTF you stupid ump", or "run A.H. run!" I don't hear this anymore. Did the FCC catch on?

gorilla196635
10-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Well I recently canceled my HD from Direct Tv nothing on. Besides with an attic antenna I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and WB...free of charge....

Pioneer CLDM301LDP
Mits HSU510 hifi VCR
Pioneer DV563A DVDP
Sony HD SAT Receiver
Polk RT 16 main spks
BIC center channel
Klipsch Synergy S3 surround
Sony RMAV3000 Remote Control

recoveryone
10-27-2005, 03:04 PM
My favorite was when you'd hear someone in the stands cursing. "WTF you stupid ump", or "run A.H. run!" I don't hear this anymore. Did the FCC catch on?
Remember after the Janet Jackson deal, the networks went to a time delay of broadcast, specially live events. some use anywhere from 1-5 min delay to clean up anything that could be seen or heard.