Did you hear the latest Van Halen news? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did you hear the latest Van Halen news?

Mr Peabody
10-21-2005, 09:49 PM
They are going to be the next band to look for a lead singer on reality TV. They are going to be the next band on that show INXS was on.

Oh, this is about the worst news I've heard since I learned Rob Halford was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that! You could maybe understand David Lee Roth doing something like this maybe but Eddie and the boys? Come on this is pathetic. Dave by the way is slated to take Howard Stern's place or have a show in his place when Howard goes to Syrius. I heard him and Adam Corolla will both have a show, I'm not sure how it will fall who gets heard where. How can a powerhouse band like Van Halen sign up to be *ss clowns? Did Valorie take everything in the divorce? Michael does some gigs with Sammy Hagar and has another side project which I can't remember right now, so I think he must be alright. Do the networks pay that much money? Were there really that many good singers on this show?

Van Halen got lucky with 2 great front men like Dave and Sammy. They cut an album with...... I think the singer from Extreme, and that flopped. Maybe they think if the singer is picked off the show the fans will buy in to it. I mean, look at Kelly Clarkson. I mean, who knows, it amazes me what the public will buy.

Eddie is still synonomous with the term "guitar hero", WHAT IS GOING ON? Jimi wouldn't do it. Is this what it's come to in the day where commercials sound like the playlist of a classic rock station? Guys, where's your dignity? You just flushed any respect you may still have down the drain.

OK, I think I'm running out of steam now. Hey! Maybe Ashley Simpson could try out.

MindGoneHaywire
10-21-2005, 11:06 PM
No, it was a mistake. They're not doing this. Why would they? They've sure made a lot of money...

MTV News erroneously reported Wednesday that a source close to the program claimed that if "Rock Star" does return for a second season, that the core Van Halen trio — Michael Anthony and brothers Alex and Eddie Van Halen — would be the band auditioning potential singers. The band flatly denies any involvement in the show.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1511879/20051020/van_halen.jhtml?headlines=true

Finch Platte
10-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Rob Halford is gay??

Ohhh, nooooooooo!

-Jar-
10-22-2005, 03:49 AM
Rob Halford is gay??

Ohhh, nooooooooo!

I know, the shock, the horror, as if it wasn't obvious all the way back to HELL BENT FOR LEATHER.. good lord, I mean, look at the guy in those old videos, he could have been in the Village People. It's just that the idea never even enters the mind of a teenage metal fan.. it's just. not. possible.

-jar

shokhead
10-22-2005, 05:48 AM
To bad,they havent had a lead singer since DLR left.

Dusty Chalk
10-22-2005, 08:20 AM
They should. It'd be funny if the contestants were half Roth-wannabes and half Hagar-wannabes.

Duds
10-24-2005, 12:39 PM
right on man. Van Hagar totally sucks. the only true VH is with DLR

To bad,they havent had a lead singer since DLR left.

Mr Peabody
10-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Watch it! Sammy to St. Louis is like Elvis to Memphis.

I've been a Hagar fan all the way back to Montrose. The first couple of Van Hagar albums are on par with the best Van Halen and better than others. Here's my tale of the tape:
Van Halen - first album
Women & Children First
OU812
Van Halen 2, and it's a toss up after that.

Sammy has a large body of solo recordings. In my opinion his albums aren't consistent but you can take killer cuts off each album and make a great comp. Red, Rock-n-Roll Weekend, Turn Up The Music, One Way To Rock, Who can forget "Can't Drive 55"?

shokhead
10-24-2005, 06:54 PM
SH cant hold DLR balls as far as best songs by VH.

3-LockBox
10-24-2005, 09:57 PM
SH cant hold DLR balls as far as best songs by VH.

All VH's songs, whether they were by Van Halen or Van Hagar, are a product of Eddie's and not "really" a group writing effort, so the distinction twix Hagar and Roth is a non-issue whereas song quality is concerned. I personally like the older DLR material, not because of DLR, but because Eddie was a much better song writer (and guitar player) back in the day and Alex actually played drums (and not those cheesy plastic Tupperware sounding things). By the time OU812 came out, Eddie was as uninspired a song writer as he was a by-the-numbers guitar player. In short, he may have been a hack, but he was still firmly in control. Which is why Hagar left, or was kicked out, or whatever is fashionble to believe these days. You can't blame Sammy if all EVH knows how to write is dated and tired party anthems.

However, when comparing both Hagar's and Roth's solo career's, there is no comparison. Sure, Hagar had a habit of putting out uneven albums, but he didn't try to dress-up old show tunes and pass them off as rock-n-roll. Even with an '80s who's who line-up, Roth's best efforts weren't equal to Hagar's best efforts, IMO.

But the Roth/Hagar debate is as tired as they are; both their voices are shot, DLR is still an ass-clown and Hagar is fatter than Peter Gabriel and would rather play at his own bar. Both may as well re-join Van Halen, for the good of all three parties.

Dave_G
10-25-2005, 04:50 AM
Well I have been listening to VH ever since the first album came out and I was a teenager and LOVED that album.

I also have enjoyed Sammy Hagar albums for almost as long, he has been in the rock just as long as VH has.

To me, if VH wants to find a new frontman, hell, let the public have at it. There HAS to be a frontman out there who can belt out the toons and still "mix" with the three others and still not be a DLR or SH wannabee or whatever you want to call it.

Back in the day, Judas Priest ruled the metal scene, and yup, ol Rob looked like a flamer back then too but I could care less as he rocked and hit those high notes like no other...

Hell, lets get Ozzy to front VH. THAT would be fun, eh?

Dave

shokhead
10-25-2005, 05:26 AM
All VH's songs, whether they were by Van Halen or Van Hagar, are a product of Eddie's and not "really" a group writing effort, so the distinction twix Hagar and Roth is a non-issue whereas song quality is concerned. I personally like the older DLR material, not because of DLR, but because Eddie was a much better song writer (and guitar player) back in the day and Alex actually played drums (and not those cheesy plastic Tupperware sounding things). By the time OU812 came out, Eddie was as uninspired a song writer as he was a by-the-numbers guitar player. In short, he may have been a hack, but he was still firmly in control. Which is why Hagar left, or was kicked out, or whatever is fashionble to believe these days. You can't blame Sammy if all EVH knows how to write is dated and tired party anthems.

However, when comparing both Hagar's and Roth's solo career's, there is no comparison. Sure, Hagar had a habit of putting out uneven albums, but he didn't try to dress-up old show tunes and pass them off as rock-n-roll. Even with an '80s who's who line-up, Roth's best efforts weren't equal to Hagar's best efforts, IMO.

But the Roth/Hagar debate is as tired as they are; both their voices are shot, DLR is still an ass-clown and Hagar is fatter than Peter Gabriel and would rather play at his own bar. Both may as well re-join Van Halen, for the good of all three parties.

Thats all nice VH info but i'm just talk'n about VH with either DLR singing or SH singing and to me,its DLR all the way.

ForeverAutumn
10-25-2005, 05:52 AM
DLR is still an ass-clown and Hagar is fatter than Peter Gabriel and would rather play at his own bar.

Ah yes. David Lee Roth in his ass-less leather pants. Now, those were the days. :D

Hagar could have never pulled that off. :rolleyes:

GMichael
10-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Hell, lets get Ozzy to front VH. THAT would be fun, eh?

Dave

Now that's just crazy talk. A new music is born. Party death.

SlumpBuster
10-25-2005, 06:09 AM
I just saw Priest in concert about 3 weeks ago. I got their new record too. Both the show and the record do have a couple of Spinal Tap moments, but that can be forgiven. The band has really held up well over the years. The show was very tight and very professional. I really got the sense of watching skilled performers who have honed their talents over the last 30 years, as opposed to letting them go to pot like DLR and SH.

INXS had a bare minimum of charisma that allowed that show to work as much as it did. I'll admit that I watched it every week. But, the VH brothers are just poisonous little vermin that are difficult to watch. Any interviews with them over the last decade really expose them as bitter and vicious. Plus, they are so beat up looking that are just hard to look at.

Dave_G
10-25-2005, 06:49 AM
I thought the new Priest stunk.

Give me British Steel!

Dave

MindGoneHaywire
10-25-2005, 09:28 AM
>Who can forget "Can't Drive 55"?

I had until you brought it up.

>All VH's songs, whether they were by Van Halen or Van Hagar, are a product of Eddie's and not "really" a group writing effort, so the distinction twix Hagar and Roth is a non-issue whereas song quality is concerned. I personally like the older DLR material, not because of DLR, but because Eddie was a much better song writer (and guitar player) back in the day and Alex actually played drums (and not those cheesy plastic Tupperware sounding things). By the time OU812 came out, Eddie was as uninspired a song writer as he was a by-the-numbers guitar player

Every VH album I've heard with DLR had songs with pop hooks in them. I stopped paying attention after the 2nd album with the other guy, but I never heard one song I liked after Roth left. Not one. And I was a fan, so it's not like I didn't give them a chance. I didn't particularly care for Hagar, but at the time I wasn't dead set against him, either. I found his style to be generic & bland. Roth was colorful & interesting to my ears. I don't know if it's coincidental or not that I hear a difference in the songs from that point. Don't care, either. If there was ever a jump the shark moment, that was it, for me.

>However, when comparing both Hagar's and Roth's solo career's, there is no comparison. Sure, Hagar had a habit of putting out uneven albums, but he didn't try to dress-up old show tunes and pass them off as rock-n-roll.

Yeah, there's no comparison is right, but for what I see as different reasons. One guy wanted to rock. The other guy wanted to entertain, & I think he was great at it. Ozzy said he was the best rock frontman he'd ever seen when VH opened for Black Sabbath in the late 70s. Not that there's anything wrong with just wanting to rock & not being as concentrated in the area of entertaining the crowd. But with Hagar, well, it's just not my cup of tea & never was. I'll take Motorhead according to those criteria. Obviously yr moniker was chosen for a reason, but I'll take Louis Prima instead. If DLR is an a$$clown, I don't think it's on that basis.

Mr Peabody
10-25-2005, 07:16 PM
I like SH and DLR so I won't bad mouth either. Sammy had a career long before VH and he has one after leaving them. Dave's music career was very short compared to Sammy. I do have to say that when Dave's first solo album came out with Stevie Vye and I can't remember the bass players name but he was a renouned Metal bassist, I thought DLR was going to kick some VH *ss, Yankee Rose is a good album.

I'm too lazy to go pull my CD's but I bet Sammy penned some of the VH songs, they sure had his style all over them. In fact, he must have, in order to be able to do some of the VH stuff in his solo concerts.

Ozzy and Eddie, WOW, what a mess that would be. But you could sell the tickets on Pay Per View for the fight between Eddie and Sharon.

My first and, stil favorite, Priest album is Unleashed in the East. And when that came out I bought it on vinyl which was the preferred format at the time and let's just say I was very young and NIEVE as to Rob's attire.

Let's hope you all are right about Dave being entertaining because he will get his chance trying to fill Stern's shoes on FM.

Some may think SH vs DLR is a dead topic but it seems to have sparked more activity than I've seen hear in awhile.

Dave_G
10-26-2005, 05:08 AM
This thread is going strong because we all are closet rockers and love VH.

Except Troy.

LOL!

Dave

shokhead
10-26-2005, 05:37 AM
I'm not in the closet. I still blast it with LZ and the Who.

Dave_G
10-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Me too.

I'm 45 and still play LZ, Who, Priest, Blackfoot, Kansas, Ted, VH, AC/DC, all of 'em.

Don't do rap or jazz or stuff like that, tho.

Dave

Mr Peabody
10-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Wow, some one else knows who Blackfoot is.