Paradigm Mini Monitor owners [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Mini Monitor owners

ninetynine
10-21-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm seriously considering these speakers I was curious to find out if the speaker grill lets you remove the 4 pins(from the grill) so that they can be inserted into the speaker holes and then fit the grill to the speaker, the reason im asking is because I ususally take the grill on and off and I seriously damaged the aestethics of some older b&w speakers by taking the grill on and off ....

cam
10-21-2005, 05:52 PM
The pins are attached to the grill (permanantly). All the monitors are like that. I have the 7's and I have taken the grills off so many times I can't count and I have never damaged anything.

Just remember, once you have had 10 drinks or more, get a designated grill taker off.

Feanor
10-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Paradigm insists that MiniMonitor, and all their speakers for that matter, are designed to sound best with the grills on. They insist that the grills should be on the provide optimal defraction control. In general reviewers agree with this. I have always listened with the grills on, so I can't offer a personal opinion.

kexodusc
10-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Paradigm insists that MiniMonitor, and all their speakers for that matter, are designed to sound best with the grills on. They insist that the grills should be on the provide optimal defraction control. In general reviewers agree with this. I have always listened with the grills on, so I can't offer a personal opinion.

I had the Mini Monitors (very briefly before upgrading to Studio 20's), and several other Paradigm speakers for that matter. The only thing I ever noticed about the grills was a slight taming of the brightness Paradigms are known for. And I mean slight. Most people I've done a/b tests with (sighted if that matters) can't really tell much difference. When we close our eyes we did barely better than 50% recognition. Can't say I noticed anything else.
Oddly enough, some people prefer them without the grills. Guess it depends. Try it for yourself.

Personally, I think this is a claim by Paradigm with an alterior motive - with the consumers best interest in mind. Keeping the grills on keeps unwanted objects away from the drivers...no ruined speakers, and fewer warranty claims. Kudos to them.

MikeyBC
10-22-2005, 09:29 AM
I thought Paradigm recommended grills on for the studio series only beause the drivers are not recessed into the baffle and the grill fits around the drivers perfectly making the entire area smooth. The mini monitors have recessed drivers (as far as i remember) and would probably benefiet from having the grills off.

Eric Z
10-23-2005, 04:30 AM
I think it they sounded better with the grills off, they wouldn't come with grills, haha! Why are you continuously taking the grills on and off. Can't decide which sounds better? I'm sure there a very very very small difference- just leave them on or off (decide what you like better) and then leave them like that. If there's any chance of a kid seeing behind the grill and he/she wants to see what happens when a finger pushes into something, leave them on- then ground the kid!

Lensman
10-29-2005, 09:32 PM
I have a pair of the the v.4 Mini Monitors. Here's what I can tell you:

First, you cannot remove the pins from the grill. Behind the fabric, the grill is a single molded piece of plastic of which the pins are an integral part.

Second, Paradigm does indeed recommend listening to the speakers with the grills on. The way the plastic is molded suggests there could be a reason for this. The grille structure is a series of diamonds with openings that get narrower vertically as you move toward the outside edges of the grill. A larger diamond opening also exists in front of the tweeter. The manual states, "These grills are designed to minimize edge diffraction - the sound reflections that occur at the outer edges of the front of the enclosure which interfere with the drivers' primary output." There's certainly no structural need for such a design as there's no need to increase the rigidity of the grille as it gets closer to the speaker (it curves outward in the middle) and the design practically doubles the amount of plastic needed in the manufacturing process. Also, while Mikey points out the drivers are flush-mounted to the baffle, the baffle itself is inset from the speaker sides a sixteenth of an inch or so.

Third, as one who's found benefit in removing grills from many a speaker, I found to my surprise the Mini Monitors actually do sound slightly better with the grills on. As Kex mentioned, the tweeter is slightly, but noticeably, less bright (this is a good thing). When I was messing around placing them, I also found the soundstage to be just slightly wider (though no deeper) with the grills on.

Fourth, though not hideously ugly, the front of the Mini Monitors (with painted silver baffle, milky-white, translucent woofer with nose-cone dust cap, and tweeter with large plastic mounting) are not going to win any beauty awards. So unless you just insist on watching the woofer twitch, or a have pressing need to show off the drivers regularly, removing the grills shouldn't be a concern.