Speaker tweak questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker tweak questions

nightflier
10-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Two questions:

I have a pair of Analysis Plus speaker cables that have banana terminations. The problem is that my MB Quart speakers don't have standard binding posts. Is there an adapter that will convert banana plugs to spades? I know this is not ideal, but it would be a lot better than crimping spades to my bananas, which is how I have it now (albeit not tightly).

Also, the included spikes on my Dynaudio 72 tower speakers are not long enough for the plush carpet I have them on and they are not heavy enough to push all the way through. The cement underneath also does not appear to be level, so I'm not getting a good solid footing. Where can I purchase longer narrow spikes?

Now if only I had settled on those Vienna speakers with the shot-lead fillable bottoms...

nightflier
10-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Anyone?

pelly3s
10-26-2005, 07:05 PM
make a short cable that goes from banana plugs that allow you to piggy back connectors and just have them go to spade lugs

paul_pci
10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but couldn't you cut off the banana terminations and reterminate it with spade plugs? I guess you wish to preserve the banana terminations.

nightflier
10-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Pelly,

Wouldn't that degrade the sound as much as what I'm currently doing?

Paul,

The Oval 9 cables are rather nice, so I don't really want to cut them.

My main concern is that I'm currently not getting what I want out of the speaker wire. Certainly an adapter from bananas to spaces has to exist?

daviethek
10-27-2005, 05:25 PM
You could get some piggyback bannana connectors and solder the spade on to the connetor and plug your bannana into the back. You're adding a couple of connections but thats what you would do with an adaptor anyway. Or, solder the spades on to the bannanas and simply reheat and remove them when done. Wait, this doesn't sound too great, .

pelly3s
10-27-2005, 05:39 PM
as long as the contact is solid between the piggy back connectors you wont have any issues. take a meter and measure the inductance and capacitance and see if there is any difference. I highly doubt it will be any different. you could take a binding post and solder the spade to the end of the post and make your own little adapter

hermanv
10-28-2005, 08:26 AM
On my system the connections whether interconnect or speaker seem to need frequent cleaning for the best possible sound. So I am not a suporter of jumpers, converters, spade plugs slid over bananas (yes, I found some heavy gold plated spades whose wire opening was just right for a banana plug, can't remember where though).

Un solder the bananas and solder on spades, with a little effort no damage will be done to your nice expensive speaker cables and no extra joints will be added to the circuit. I recommend either wonder solder or Cardas solder, both are easy to use and well regarded by the audiophile community.

A solder iron can be bought for $40-70 or about the price of an exotic RCA connector or two. You will need some needle nose pliers, a burn proof work surface and a little patience.

nightflier
10-28-2005, 04:53 PM
...yes, I found some heavy gold plated spades whose wire opening was just right for a banana plug...

You'd think it wouldn't be too hard for a manufacturer like AQ or Cardas to make something like that. Thanks for all the input, though. I'll see what I can fanagle with the speaker wire.

What about the speaker spikes? Does anyone know where I can buy tall, slender spikes?

hermanv
10-29-2005, 09:28 AM
What about the speaker spikes? Does anyone know where I can buy tall, slender spikes? Madisound has some that mere mortals can afford.

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/misc.pdf

nightflier
11-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Madisound has some that mere mortals can afford.

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/misc.pdf

I like the Chrome Tip Toe's and for $4.10 each. they are very inexpensive. (I should have considered the DIY market...)

Thanks.