Hey tentoze, thanks for sending me Tookay Three. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey tentoze, thanks for sending me Tookay Three.

Swish
01-10-2004, 07:07 AM
This looks like a great comp. I only have 5 of the 20 tracks, and I'm fired up to hear several of these, especially the British Sea Power (I orderd the CD a few days ago), Band of Blacky, and Joan Armatrading tunes since I've read so much about their recent releases. I'll be spinning this one later on today and I'll let you know what I think, although I'm pretty sure it'll be a keeper.

Regards,
Swish Baby

Oh, by the way, what kind of paper did you use for the cover art? It looks like photo-quality paper, and that stuff is too expensive to be using for likes of me. I'm always looking for better quality paper but I just haven't found anything ideal. It looks awesome!

Finch Platte
01-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Oh, by the way, what kind of paper did you use for the cover art? It looks like photo-quality paper, and that stuff is too expensive to be using for likes of me. I'm always looking for better quality paper but I just haven't found anything ideal. It looks awesome!

Hey, Avatar Boy- not to horn in on your post, but I usually use photo-quality paper for my covers. I try to get 2 covers out of one page, but sometimes it doesn't work that way. Case in point was my Red Hot CP comp, which was one cover per page.

I've figured that after I buy the photo paper, the blank CDs, the jewel cases and put in my time on the cover art and burning the CD, each CD I send out costs around $27.80 (US) to make. I think I'll just start buying the CDs at Tower and send them out to people. :p

fp

Swish
01-10-2004, 07:37 AM
$27 to make a comp? I think mine top out at $30 including my labor charges. Hey, I'm no cheapskate, but you can do a decent job without spending a whole lot of cash, especially with cdrs going for as little as a few cents each. Hell, I spend more for postage than I do creating the cd. As for the cover art, I have an excellent color printer (HP Photosmart 1215), so I get pretty good results even on so-so paper. I've been using Ink Jet 24 weight / 94 brightness paper that's almost like thin cardboard and my covers look pretty good. When I saw the one tentoze sent me, I knew I could do better, but at what price? As for getting two out of one sheet of photo paper, that shouldn't be a problem if you do it right. I have CD Stomper software I bought a few years ago and it still does a decent job of arranging my cover art. I also have the labels I can create to paste right on unbranded cdrs to make a really nice package, but I haven't used them in a long time.

Avatar Boy (formerly Swish, Swish Baby, or the Swishster)

tentoze
01-10-2004, 08:15 AM
This looks like a great comp. I only have 5 of the 20 tracks, and I'm fired up to hear several of these, especially the British Sea Power (I orderd the CD a few days ago), Band of Blacky, and Joan Armatrading tunes since I've read so much about their recent releases. I'll be spinning this one later on today and I'll let you know what I think, although I'm pretty sure it'll be a keeper.

Regards,
Swish Baby

Hope ya like it. I'll check on that paper when I get home from work and then a trip to the CES Convention this afternoon (WOOHOO! The hottest and most outrageous new electronic gear collection on the planet!). I know I picked that paper up from Fry's a few weeks ago, and I don't think it was TOO expensive.

tentoze
01-10-2004, 07:59 PM

I checked this paper stuff- it's a fairly generic brand (GQ, standing for Great Quality) of glossy photo paper from Fry's. 20 sheets for 4 bucks- so at the limited rate I make comps, and the limited requests for those comps, I ain't going broke using it.......

:p

Swish
01-11-2004, 07:23 AM
I checked this paper stuff- it's a fairly generic brand (GQ, standing for Great Quality) of glossy photo paper from Fry's. 20 sheets for 4 bucks- so at the limited rate I make comps, and the limited requests for those comps, I ain't going broke using it.......

:p

on the East Coast? Hey, thanks for the info. I'm headed to Harriburg for some shopping today, so maybe Office Max, Costco, Staples will carry that "brand". That's a great price for 20 sheets. I think I spend around $1 a piece for photo paper, so it's worth a shot.

Swishster

tentoze
01-11-2004, 08:46 AM
on the East Coast? Hey, thanks for the info. I'm headed to Harriburg for some shopping today, so maybe Office Max, Costco, Staples will carry that "brand". That's a great price for 20 sheets. I think I spend around $1 a piece for photo paper, so it's worth a shot.

Swishster

Yeh, I guess Fry's ain't on the Right Coast- too bad cause it's a pretty amazing place, if you've never been in one. OfficMax carries a line named JetPrint Photo that is pretty reasonable and looks good too.