Any Soilwork fans here? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Soilwork fans here?

3-LockBox
10-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Just listened to a co-worker's copy of a CD (I think it was Stabbing The Drama?) and it seemed in the same vein as Opeth (just not in the same league). Still, it wasn't half bad. Same mix of normal and death metal vocals; metal growl not as hellish and therefore, more tollerable, but normal singing not as good as Akerfeldt's. Didn't get to give it a real focused listen, though. Seemed a tad speed metallish in places. And they're from Sweden too.

I can't imagine a bunch of tight-fisted, pickled fish eatin' Swedes being at the leading edge of heavy metal, but there they are.

Yah sure, you betcha!

-Jar-
10-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Dude, Sweden, Norway, Finland, it's dark and depressing up there and there are a million metal bands. It's pretty amazing. There's an entire genre based on bands from Gothenburg, Sweden, but that's a full-on death metal style, so unless you REALLY like the cookie monster vocals, they're probably not for you. Soilwork is definately one of the better bands I've heard recently (Audiobill helped me out with some stuff). You might want to check out In Flames as well (also Swedish). Though I am by no means an expert. If I only had the time, there's really a lot of good metal out there these days..

-jar

Dusty Chalk
10-21-2005, 08:30 AM
...and money.

I have all of Soilwork's albums, and from memory, Stabbing the Drama was my least favourite, but I only gave it one listen -- too nu-metally for me, though that seems disparate from your description of them.

I like their first albums the best, especially Predator's Portrait.

I'm going to have to revisit all their albums, now that you've brought them up...

audiobill
10-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Dude, Sweden, Norway, Finland, it's dark and depressing up there and there are a million metal bands. It's pretty amazing. There's an entire genre based on bands from Gothenburg, Sweden, but that's a full-on death metal style, so unless you REALLY like the cookie monster vocals, they're probably not for you. Soilwork is definately one of the better bands I've heard recently (Audiobill helped me out with some stuff). You might want to check out In Flames as well (also Swedish). Though I am by no means an expert. If I only had the time, there's really a lot of good metal out there these days..

-jar

Yeah. Exactly what Jar & Dusty just wrote.
Soilwork is definitely some of the best metal out there. Those crazy Swedes are producing an awesome hatchet-weilding kind of metal and Soilwork epitomizes the best of it.
Steel Bath Suicide & The Chainheart Machine are my favourites, along with Natural Born Chaos (underrated imo)

Check more of them out. I think you'll like them.

Cheers,
audiobill

Duds
10-24-2005, 06:19 AM
Great band. Natural Bron Chaos is by far my favorite cd from them. And like the others said, there is a ton of great metal coming out of that area. Check out In Flames.

Just listened to a co-worker's copy of a CD (I think it was Stabbing The Drama?) and it seemed in the same vein as Opeth (just not in the same league). Still, it wasn't half bad. Same mix of normal and death metal vocals; metal growl not as hellish and therefore, more tollerable, but normal singing not as good as Akerfeldt's. Didn't get to give it a real focused listen, though. Seemed a tad speed metallish in places. And they're from Sweden too.

I can't imagine a bunch of tight-fisted, pickled fish eatin' Swedes being at the leading edge of heavy metal, but there they are.

Yah sure, you betcha!

caniac
10-31-2005, 07:14 PM
I like Soilwork, but their earlier thrashy type stuff doesn't appeal to me all that much.

I prefer the more melodic approach of Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five. A lot of Soilworkers hate the latter album, but I don't know why. It's heavy as hell and unbelievably catchy.

Great bands coming out of Sweden these days. If you like Soilwork and Opeth, you owe it to yourself check out Dark Tranquillity, especially their last four albums (Projector, Haven, Damage Done, and Character, with Damage Done being the best of the group).