Noise Cancelling Headphone Question` [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Noise Cancelling Headphone Question`

EdwardGein
10-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Can someone please explain this to me. I use portapro headphones for my zen nano player which I only use when jogging or riding on public transportation. The sound is great but I still here background noise such as traffic. I can't handle earbuds but I think Koss will make or eventually make custom made headphones. My question is this, are noise cancelling headphones a waste of money to just block out traffic sounds? Any help appreciated.

Eric Z
10-20-2005, 01:47 AM
it all depends how bad you want to block the outside noise. my brother has some bigger headphones (can't remember the brand) and he really wanted not to hear things going on around him- they're great because you really can't hear anything around you- just a preference though.

if the traffic noise is bothering you that much, test drive some noise cancelling ones and see if they're worth it. the only problem is some are ear buds and can be uncomfortable and some are big and bulky (not ideal for running/exercising).

some people just turn the volume up very high to block out noise- not a good idea because ears are so sensitive- very easy to do damage.

markw
10-20-2005, 03:11 AM
I would think that when jogging on public roads, one would want to hear traffic noises.

Eric Z
10-20-2005, 05:49 AM
very good point, mark!

EdwardGein
10-20-2005, 09:45 AM
very good point, mark!

I jog mainly on the sidewalk but do cross the street so technically you're right.

nightflier
10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
I jog mainly on the sidewalk but do cross the street so technically you're right.

I have a pair of Sennheiser PX250's that I use when I fly and they are very good. They filter out some of the noise, but not all, so they are not an ideal solution for that. They are, however, very light and fold into a little pouch that is convenient for travel. I paid $80 for them, I think. The only thing I don't like about them is that the battery pack, although that's inevitable with lightweight noise cancelling phones (unless they're earbuds).

When I'm at home and I use them w/o the noise cancelling on, they sound very good. Granted, the sound is not as spacious and detailed as a pair of HD650's that I'm borrowing, but I'm not a fan of big bulky cans that can get really irritating for those of us who wear glasses. You'd think for $700, they'd be able to make them more comfortable.

But at home I rarely listen to headphones. The cord, the irritating feel, and the sound compromises... for me, they are only of use during travel or late night listening.