Warning: caveat Emptor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Warning: caveat Emptor

opt80
10-19-2005, 01:37 PM
It is my sworn duty as a music lover to warn you all not to buy the new EP by Lambchop & Hands Offf Cuba.
Kurt Wagner sings one song and the rest is electronica stuff.I played it last nite as I went to sleep,a couple times the beeping and clanking woke me up. Bad stuff IMHO. Your mileage may vary

Alan :eek:

Davey
10-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that does sound odd, but Lambchop is a pretty eccentric band. I'm a real big fan of David Kilgour and he recorded a very nice album with them last year called Frozen Orange after touring a lot together. Not sure if Wagner was in the sessions or not, but they definitely provided some sympathetic backing, much like his normal Heavy Eights crew. I'm always blabbering about his stuff and most people around here just know to ignore me by now, but since you're new ... ;)

Lots of my own words around here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6707) but I'll post something from one of the main CD shops in his own New Zealand below ...

Smoke Notes
Not since the heady days as part of legendary Flying Nun outfit The Clean, has the superb New Zealand singer/ songwriter/ musician David Kilgour sounded so damn good. The beautifully textural 'A Feather In The Engine' announced a real return to form for Kilgour, and it was while touring the US with that album that the basis for this album was hatched. While opening for the sublime Lambchop on that tour, Kilgour utilised several members of the collective as his "backing" band to great success. During rehearsals in Nashville Kilgour then hooked up with producer/engineer Mark Nevers (Lambchop, Calexico, Will Oldham) who suggested Kilgour return to Nashville to make the album with him and various members of Lambchop, resulting in most of this album (two tracks "Dogs Barking" and "A Head Full Of Rolling Stones" were recorded with the Heavy Eights back in NZ). A sublime combination of Kilgour's signature guitar lines and shambolic quirky melodies, plus the indie-country tinged beauty of his Nashville friends, 'Frozen Orange' marks another magnificent step in this quietly achieving New Zealand legend's path to "pop" greatness. An absolutely world class "indie pop" album, and more importantly, absolutely brilliant to boot. Highly recommended.