Hey, ya'll. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey, ya'll.

Dave_G
10-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Thought I'd check in, it's been a while.

I'm okay, have been better, times are tough, but once you bottom out, you know, there is only one way to go...

But I'm Dave_G and I will persevere!

I've been tooning around some, yes.

Here are some details:

Looking forward to the new Rush dvd, yessireebob.

Also looking forward to the new Pallas cd. They are incredible, if you like Neo Prog, you would like them a lot. Their concert dvd is stunning, one of the best out there.

Been doing some shopping lately on ebay, bought a Kansas concert video (imagine that!) from way back when John Elephante stood in for Steve Walsh. It's weird as heck but good.

A buddy of mine let me borrow a Genesis dvd from the Duke tour, it's pretty good.

I also bought a Stranglers dvd, from their first ever US appearance, have not watched it yet, and also a Devo dvd that I have not been able to watch either.

Waiting to receive my SEALED copy of Split Enz "Conflicting Emotions" on lp I won off of ebay, looking forward to that. Almost bid on a sealed copy of Waiata but held off.

I have been enjoying IQ a lot lately, and the latest Flower Kings (Adam & Eve), some Tull (they played here Saturday but I could not attend), and Richard Pryors box set. I know he offends a lot of people but he absolutely cracks me up.

Bought a few of the new Porcupine Tree reissues, COMA DIVINE and The Sky Moves Sideways. They have excellent sonics. Still missing my copy of Stupid Dream, tho. (it was stolen from my car)

On a similar note, last week someone broke into my porch on my apartment and stole my mountain bike. Thank god they didn't break into my apartment. But now I am bike-less, which is not a good thing for me. Insurance doesn't cover the loss, which stinks.

I hope everyone here is doing well and still enjoying the music.

Regards,

Dave

BinFrog
10-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Tough times demand tough hearts

(and plenty of music)

Troy
10-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Bike pinchings suck. People are pricks.

I bought a new digital camera, the first one that can do time exposures at night. Shot with it this weekend for the first time at an abandoned hotel / resort complex near Stockton CA. Pix here:

http://www.designshed.com/byron/byron.html

Musicwise, that new Echolyn is really great. Great songcraft, not as note-heavy as the first album.

Going to see Porcupine tree on Friday. That should rock real gud.

Still pumping music into the iPod at a huge clip.

BarryL
10-18-2005, 10:52 AM

Regards,

Dave

Things have been slow here, so you haven't missed anything.

Waiting for more new music. Even Triumvirat will have an album out soon (so they say on their website).

Be good.

ForeverAutumn
10-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Bought a few of the new Porcupine Tree reissues, COMA DIVINE and The Sky Moves Sideways. They have excellent sonics. Still missing my copy of Stupid Dream, tho. (it was stolen from my car)

Well, cudos to the car thief for having good taste anyway. I once had my car broken into and they took some CDs but not all of them. I was actually insulted that they chose not to take certain CDs! Guess my car thief just didn't have good taste in music. :rolleyes:

Welcome back Dave. We missed ya. :)

Davey
10-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Thought I'd check in, it's been a while.......have been better, times are tough, but once you bottom out, you know, there is only one way to go...missing my copy of Stupid Dream...it was stolen from my car...last week someone broke into my porch on my apartment and stole my mountain bike....Insurance doesn't cover the loss, which stinks....
Yikes Dave, sounds like a song from Warren Zevon's second album, Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School. Guess some of us have been there at one time or another, but really tough when it all seems to pile up. Glad to see you stop by and good to hear you're still spinning the tunes and following your [musical] muse. Those Split Enz LPs are tops. I have em all. That Conflicting Emotions is of course one of those early totally digital rock recordings, but still sounds great on the LP. I always thought it sounded way better on vinyl, though not sure why. Just seems more alive and those drums really stand out, especially on that epic title track that comes near the end. I had the CD first and didn't pick up a used copy of the LP until much later, thinking wrongly that there was no point for an early low rez digital recording, though the CD sounds pretty good too on most of it. Don't think I ever heard the Waiata CD, but always loved the LP. Not as big a fan of the next one after that, but big Enz fan back in those days.

See ya

Dusty Chalk
10-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Sux about the bike, Dave. How low can some people sink? That's just mean.

Good to hear about the otherwise good things, though.

audiobill
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Good to hear from you, Dave.

Losing the bike sux. I don't know where you're at, but here in Ontario this is perfect mountain biking weather. The air is crisp and the forest scenery is outstanding. I'd be p'd if I was bikeless. Oh well -- they didn't get in and that's a blessing.

I'm going to have to break down and start replacing some of those PT CD's with the newer ones. Damn you Barry L for turning me onto this band!!

Welcome back,
Bill

Dave_G
10-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the kind words.

Ya, losing my bike was difficult, I had a lot invested into it and it was a source of relief (other than my toons), so that just adds to the frustration.

Maybe I will sell off my dvd collection for a new bike.

Nah!

BTW I watched that Stranglers dvd tonight. Urrgh, wot a piece of rubbish. It's like a bad bootleg. Should never have been commercially released.

Regards,

Dave

3-LockBox
10-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Bought a few of the new Porcupine Tree reissues, COMA DIVINE and The Sky Moves Sideways. They have excellent sonics.
Dave

I bought Coma Divine and Signify, both the digipak re-issues. Disc two of Signify, called Insignificance, is really good.

I hope the guy who snaked your bike rides it head-long into a semi-truck.

"Things" are up & down for me as well, but we gotta keep pluckin along.

Take care

3LB

Finch Platte
10-18-2005, 11:48 PM

Regards,

Dave

That totally sucks about the bike. Bike thieves are the worst pieces of sh!t on this earth.

If you want to try singlespeeding it, I have an XL Cannondale hardtail that was converted. I forget how tall you are, but if you're over 6', it'll fit. Just buy a good lock, wouldja? :rolleyes:

Youu shoulda told me you were buying the Split Enz LP. I have that leaning against my stereo as I type, waiting to- oops, had to throw it on there. (That's the best thing about my house- it's almost 1 am and I can blast the toons as loud as I want). You could have borrowed that, too. :cool: Here's a pic of the other Enz disc I have, the laser-etched one. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

I guess Troy hates my guts, if he was in/near Stockton and didn't call me. :(

I'm serious about the bike- if you pay shipping, I'll be glad to let you ride it.

Keep your chin up and your elbows in, bud. Thanks for checking in.

Gary

Dave_G
10-19-2005, 05:05 AM
I appreciate the offer for the bike, but I'm 5'8" and really need a 17" frame...

One of my friends here has offered to let me borrow his bike, it's a decent Cannondale, so I may take him up on it...will hafta buy a set of pedals tho, but that's ok.

I have 2 copies of that laser etched lp too, pretty cool.

If and when I get a new bike it will be relegated to be inside my apartment, thats for sure.

I hope you are well. If I was in Stockton, I would have called you.

Dave

Finch Platte
10-19-2005, 05:55 AM
One of my friends here has offered to let me borrow his bike, it's a decent Cannondale, so I may take him up on it...will hafta buy a set of pedals tho, but that's ok.
Dave

Glad you have access to another ride, or else you'd go crazy(er)!

Eggbeaters are on sale around here for $60- if you haven't tried them, yotta. They RAWK!

fp

Mike
10-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Bike pinchings suck. People are pricks.

I bought a new digital camera, the first one that can do time exposures at night. Shot with it this weekend for the first time at an abandoned hotel / resort complex near Stockton CA. Pix here:

Nice piccies there Troy what camera are you using now and do you do much processing with the image afterwards?

Cheers
Mike

newtrix1
10-19-2005, 07:48 AM

http://www.designshed.com/byron/byron.html

What the f..k happened to that bird? Did another bird of prey do that??

Troy
10-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Nice piccies there Troy what camera are you using now and do you do much processing with the image afterwards?

Cheers
Mike

Hey Mike. It's a Canon 20D. And there's no post production except spotting a few hot pixels and maybe a little rotation to get level horizons. I light-paint during he exposure to get the colors. http://www.lostamerica.com

Newtrix: I have no idea what happened to that owl. Smelled bad. There were dozens of big owls circling and screeching all nite. I was ruining their dinner, I'm sure.

Finchy: Yes, I hate you, you prick. Yeesh. You want to meet me in Byron and watch me take pictures in the middle of the night, on a sunday? I may go out there again next fool moon. If you want to meet me there, just tell me.