Best projector under $1500 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best projector under $1500

GMichael
10-17-2005, 01:31 PM
What projector do you think is the best for under $1500. I see that N. Abstentia is getting an Optoma H31 DLP. These are going for just arround $1000USD. They look like a good model and have high review grades. Does anyone know of a better model without going crazy? Let's keep it under $1500.

MCH
10-18-2005, 08:16 AM
It's hard to catagorize something as the best. It's better to evaluate what you are requiring. Like throw distance/screen size, throw angle, 720P or 480P, light control, hookups etc. Then you have to do a lot of finger work on the internet to address your projector requirements. Things should start to narrow down at this point. Then you'll get into the quack-mire of subjective input. There'll be comments of how wonderful a product is to how terrible it is.
In the end the best suggestion I can make is narrow your choices down to 1 or 2 possibilities. Then buy them at place that has a good return policy. Give them a spin and see if you get what you expected.
To wrap things up. I bought a Optoma H27 that I'm very pleased with for $1250 CAD. It fills my needs very nicely. I only wish I would have added the enhanced/extended warranty for peace of mind. Electronics can be very buggy and it can be a pain to get satisfactory warranty service. Hopefully I won't have to deal with problems.
hope this helps.

GMichael
10-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks,
Just started this quest yesterday. I have a long way to go to be able to narrow it down. All input is appreciated at this point. I was originaly looking at HD rear projection TV's. The Toshiba 65H83 was on the top of that list.
I looked at the Optoma H31 but wondered about the 480 res. Then I looked at the InFocus ScreenPlay 5700. Higher res but at 3 times the price. I don't think I want to spend that much yet. Maybe my next system.
I have been going through this site http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-projectors.htm

I haven't found anything in the 1500 to 2000 range other than more 480 res projectors.

edtyct
10-18-2005, 10:07 AM
The H31 and the InFocus ScreenPlay 4500, which incidentally is on sale for about $1000 at TV Authority as we speak, seem to be the ones to beat at this price and resolution. I don't think that you'll find HD front projection at less than $3000 list. But these days the Sony Cineza VPL-HS51 LCD projector, which is a giant killer, is available on the web for $2500 or so. Who knows what kind of deals ebay might have for it? It'll get you into Dark Chip territory and then some. But it's still $1000 more than you want to spend.

Ed

GMichael
10-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks Ed,

Take a look at the Sanyo PLV-Z3. The price has dropped to 1500. It's WXGA-H (1280 x 720) res. The Z4 is coming out so pricing is taking a dive.

Kam
10-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks Ed,

Take a look at the Sanyo PLV-Z3. The price has dropped to 1500. It's WXGA-H (1280 x 720) res. The Z4 is coming out so pricing is taking a dive.

hey gm, i just got the sanyo plv-z3 (upgraded from the infocus lp340b) if ya have any questions, let me know! am hoping to post some pics of my system soon, waiting to borrow a friends digital camera.

peace
k2

GMichael
10-18-2005, 10:28 AM
hey gm, i just got the sanyo plv-z3 (upgraded from the infocus lp340b) if ya have any questions, let me know! am hoping to post some pics of my system soon, waiting to borrow a friends digital camera.

peace
k2

Why cool! I don't think you can answer the question I have now though. But here goes anyhow. I can't find an estimated bulb life. Any idea? Is it because it has the bulb saving feature and it's too hard to estimate with more than one setting available.

GMichael
10-18-2005, 10:35 AM

peace
k2

How do you like it so far?
How's the picture?
How do you have it mounted?
How far from the screen?
What size is the picture?
How's the remote?
What cables do you have going to and from it?
What made you pick a projector?
What made you pick this model?
You didn't think you'd get away with that one question did you?

edtyct
10-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Good point about the Sanyo. I'd forgotten about that one, and it appears to be a class act all the way around. The most significant problem with it is the usual bugaboo of black level. The slightly more expensive LCDs best it in that respect, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a deal breaker. Kam can probably give us the scoop. Another question about this projector that I've never seen resolved is whether it has the dynamic iris control (opening for bright, closing for dark) that the product literature touts but can't be find in the manual. That would have a lot to do with the projector's ability to provide a realistic contrast. But, by all accounts, this is a solid projector. Just make sure that its throw is right for your room setup.

GMichael
10-18-2005, 10:42 AM
My room will be a fairly good size once it's built. ETA is April 2006. It will be 22 by 26 feet.

GMichael
10-18-2005, 10:54 AM
There is no shortage of reviews for this model.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z3.htm

Kam
10-18-2005, 11:24 AM
How do you like it so far?
How's the picture?
How do you have it mounted?
How far from the screen?
What size is the picture?
How's the remote?
What cables do you have going to and from it?
What made you pick a projector?
What made you pick this model?
You didn't think you'd get away with that one question did you?

whew! ok.

How's the picture? I love it. the blacks arent as black as can be, but they are better than the infocus. i still have the infocus actually, so i will hopefully take some A/B pics of the infocus and the sanyo side by side. no comparison. however this is a darkened room, i only watch at night, and have a painted dark wall that the screen hangs on (dalite model b hdtv 1.3gain (i think, have to double check).) i dont know how this would perform in the day as i havent even had a chance to turn it on in daylight hours. has been a busy week.

How do you have it mounted? on a selfmade shelf/ tower above my equipment rack. kinda like a reverse ceiling mount.

How far from the screen? have to take the exact measurement, i think in the 10-15 ft range (im bad with guessing).

What size is the picture? 92" widescreen

How's the remote? havent really played around TOO much with it, the more i play, the more i'll see how ergonomic it is. have just used a thx optimode series off the atlantis disc to play with, have to avia disc clean it up eventually.

What cables do you have going to and from it? powercable and hdmi in from the dvd player. that's it, it is strictly a dvd watching HT for now.

What made you pick a projector? projector in general? i had the infocus before, and when i was shopping for that i was looking at 40inch rear projection tv's, that had a HUGE footprint, vs. paying just over $1000 for my project/screen combo at 92" wide, there was just no comparison.

What made you pick this model? hdmi input and performance. best features that i was looking for really in the price range. (i think) its the cheapest hdmi input projector around, PLUS, sanyo just came out with the Z4, so the prices dropped.

You didn't think you'd get away with that one question did you? no, no i didn't. :D

GMichael
10-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks Kam. I wish you many happy viewing hours. Please keep me posted as you notice more about it.
This one moves to the front of the current wishlist.

robert393
10-20-2005, 03:33 PM
What projector do you think is the best for under $1500. I see that N. Abstentia is getting an Optoma H31 DLP. These are going for just arround $1000USD. They look like a good model and have high review grades. Does anyone know of a better model without going crazy? Let's keep it under $1500.

What ever you do, get at LEAST Native: 1280x720 Pixels, so you can view HD TV, and having a 16x9 native chip(s) is a progressive step (with the evolution of HD content which is broadcast in 16x9)
Couple things to be considering:
1) What kinda light will be in the room? ie, controlled lighting or direct uncontrolled. This makes a HUGE difference in the kind of projector you will wnat to be getting.
2) What kinda mounting will you have & what will be your throw distance?
3) What size screen will you be having. http://www.projectorcentral.com/screen_size.htm http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_review.htm
4) What will be the seating arrangement & seating distances?

Projectors to choose from:
LCD:
Pro's- Least expensive, huge selection, high contrast ratio, "black" blacks, can use in a room with more uncontrolled lighting because of the high contrast ratio
Cons-can suffer from "burn-out" pixels an especially the color blue http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_test.htm
Of the 3-major technologies LCD suffers the most from "screen-door" effect.

DLP: (I will be talking about single chip units here).
Pro's-Less screen door effect, vivid colors, sharp picture, high brighness
Con's-Less "black" blacks, can have a "rainbow" effect if you get anything less than 4x speed wheel, even then you may be susceptible. Sharpness of picture is off-set by some "jaggies" and in general a sharpness/hardness to the picture quality

LCOS:
Ok, I have a bias here, because this is my personal favorite. It gives the best of each of the above technologies, the absolute smoothest picture with the most vivid colors you could ever imagine, and without ANY "screen-door" effect from ANY distance. They are all 3-chip as well. So, instead of telling outlining the pro's & con's you can read the review & explanation of the technology here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcos.htm

You will find tons of info on this page:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector-reviews.cfm

I definately think you are on the "right track" by going with front projection as opposed to rear-projection. Forget that huge foot-print and say HELLO to a picture 2-3x the screen size and with prices what they are today, it is simply a "no-brainer". But, do your homework and get all the measurements correct ie, throw distance, seating distance, screen size, etc...it will be well worth the time when the day arrives that you turn your projector on for the first time!

Congratulations and welcome to the fun that is coming!~
Robert

Kam
10-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks Kam. I wish you many happy viewing hours. Please keep me posted as you notice more about it.
This one moves to the front of the current wishlist.

some heavy viewing coming up this weekend. will defn post more after i put its through its paces and hopefully take a few dig stills.

on the remote, so far the onscreen menu system is very easy to navigate through. i havent used or programmed and of the 'user' settings on the remote, but it seems pretty straightforward and has a few 'shortcut' keys that are really usefull (screen display, etc).
and will give you exact measurements on placement, but i had to move my 'tower' directly behind the couch to get the size (92") right. the infocus had a much better throw distance and i had it at the back of the room, about 16feet from the screen. the Z3 i have about 11-12 feet (ithink) from the screen. but even though its right behind me, i cant hear a thing, it's super quiet. so far, it is getting an incredibly high reccomendation from me. :)

more soon!!!

GMichael
10-21-2005, 07:51 AM
some heavy viewing coming up this weekend. will defn post more after i put its through its paces and hopefully take a few dig stills.

on the remote, so far the onscreen menu system is very easy to navigate through. i havent used or programmed and of the 'user' settings on the remote, but it seems pretty straightforward and has a few 'shortcut' keys that are really usefull (screen display, etc).
and will give you exact measurements on placement, but i had to move my 'tower' directly behind the couch to get the size (92") right. the infocus had a much better throw distance and i had it at the back of the room, about 16feet from the screen. the Z3 i have about 11-12 feet (ithink) from the screen. but even though its right behind me, i cant hear a thing, it's super quiet. so far, it is getting an incredibly high reccomendation from me. :)

more soon!!!

Very cool. Keep it coming.
Looking foreward to the weekend? Got some football to watch? Maybe a world series game or two?

GMichael
11-08-2005, 02:53 PM

more soon!!!

Hey Kam,

How was this viewing weekend a few weeks ago. How do you like that Z3?

I am planning on going to NYC this weekend or next. I see that B&H Photo has the Z1, 2, 3 & 4. Do you know if they have any of them set up to be viewed? Do you know of anyone who does? J&R?
I have been looking into the Z4 a little more but it looks like it needs more room than the Z3. I could do that if I leave out the overhead fan. But I won't unless it's a lot better. 7000:1 contast instead of 2000:1. Does it make much difference?
The Z1 might be nice for the bedroom too. The wife and I have been fighting over where the furniture will go in the BR. Her way leaves very little room for the TV. It would have to be against a side wall and that's death for the sound system. The Z1 might be just what the doctor ordered.
Anyway, how's your Z3 doing? Is it as quiet as they say? Nice detailed picture? Good color????

GMichael
11-09-2005, 06:13 AM
??????

Kam
11-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Hey Kam,

How was this viewing weekend a few weeks ago. How do you like that Z3?

I am planning on going to NYC this weekend or next. I see that B&H Photo has the Z1, 2, 3 & 4. Do you know if they have any of them set up to be viewed? Do you know of anyone who does? J&R?
I have been looking into the Z4 a little more but it looks like it needs more room than the Z3. I could do that if I leave out the overhead fan. But I won't unless it's a lot better. 7000:1 contast instead of 2000:1. Does it make much difference?
The Z1 might be nice for the bedroom too. The wife and I have been fighting over where the furniture will go in the BR. Her way leaves very little room for the TV. It would have to be against a side wall and that's death for the sound system. The Z1 might be just what the doctor ordered.
Anyway, how's your Z3 doing? Is it as quiet as they say? Nice detailed picture? Good color????

hey gm, sorry i just saw the post. i dont think b&h has any projector set up for demo, but i havent been there in a few months, so i might be wrong. there are two spots you can check, S & S Sound and Sound by Singer, i believe they both have full projection set ups, but i'd call first to see if its with the Sanyo Z line. more than welcome to pm me and can swing by my place to check out the z3 if you like. we are starting production this sun, but i can always squeeze in some movie watching demo-ing. :)

i definitely love the Z3, it sits directly behind the couch and i never even know that its on. it has a side fan, so just take that into consideration in placement, that it'll need space to the side of it. colors are great, nice detailed picture, and only the black levels leave a leeeetle bit to be desired, but still pretty darn good.

GMichael
11-09-2005, 07:40 AM
hey gm, sorry i just saw the post. i dont think b&h has any projector set up for demo, but i havent been there in a few months, so i might be wrong. there are two spots you can check, S & S Sound and Sound by Singer, i believe they both have full projection set ups, but i'd call first to see if its with the Sanyo Z line. more than welcome to pm me and can swing by my place to check out the z3 if you like. we are starting production this sun, but i can always squeeze in some movie watching demo-ing. :)

i definitely love the Z3, it sits directly behind the couch and i never even know that its on. it has a side fan, so just take that into consideration in placement, that it'll need space to the side of it. colors are great, nice detailed picture, and only the black levels leave a leeeetle bit to be desired, but still pretty darn good.

Thanks Kam,

I had only posted the second time because it never came to the top of the list like it normally does the first time. It was still buried deep at the bottom of the pile.

I'll give B&H a call to see what they have set up and also check out S & S Sound and Sound by Singer. I've never heard of them before. Not that anyone could know every store there is in NYC.

You had said, "we are starting production this sun." What are you producing?

I would enjoy stopping in. I'll get off a PM after I'm caught up a little more here at work. My wife's appointment to have her status adjusted is finally set. It only took 4 years. Nice system Uncle Sam! We want to make a trial run to the door to make sure we can find it and see how long it takes. Her appointment is like at 8:45 AM on a Wednesday so we'll have rush hour traffic to deal with. Next Wednesday the 16th is her B-day. Been thinking of doing the trial run that morning so we'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Thanks again for the info on the Z3.

Kam
11-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks Kam,

I had only posted the second time because it never came to the top of the list like it normally does the first time. It was still buried deep at the bottom of the pile.

I'll give B&H a call to see what they have set up and also check out S & S Sound and Sound by Singer. I've never heard of them before. Not that anyone could know every store there is in NYC.

You had said, "we are starting production this sun." What are you producing?

I would enjoy stopping in. I'll get off a PM after I'm caught up a little more here at work. My wife's appointment to have her status adjusted is finally set. It only took 4 years. Nice system Uncle Sam! We want to make a trial run to the door to make sure we can find it and see how long it takes. Her appointment is like at 8:45 AM on a Wednesday so we'll have rush hour traffic to deal with. Next Wednesday the 16th is her B-day. Been thinking of doing the trial run that morning so we'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Thanks again for the info on the Z3.

It's a show for international tv that we produce here in nyc (am a writer/actor/producer on it). and that is a killer time to drive in nyc. i live right by the west side hwy, and it generally moves well early early early morning, but come 8ish... the parking lot begins.

GMichael
11-09-2005, 08:11 AM
It's a show for international tv that we produce here in nyc (am a writer/actor/producer on it). and that is a killer time to drive in nyc. i live right by the west side hwy, and it generally moves well early early early morning, but come 8ish... the parking lot begins.

Way cool. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Yeah, I'm so NOT looking forward to these drives.