Help needed with Speaker Volume Control [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums


View Full Version : Help needed with Speaker Volume Control

10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I need help with selecting in-wall volume controls for in-wall speakers.

I have a Denon receiver (output is 80W per channel) that I want to connect to in-wall volume control in another room which should control the volume of the pair of speakers (80W) in that room. I also have an additional CAT V wire running from Volume control point to the receiver.
When I search online for volume controls, there are so many options that I don't know which one to pick.

Some have impedance matching. I don't know if impedance matching in volume controls is good or not.
Some are transformer-less. Is that a good thing?
Some are 120W peak/60 rms. Will that work for my 80W speakers?
Some are with IR receiver. I was thinking of changing the songs rather than going to other room to change it. Will IR receiver volume control be useful in that?

10-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Yeah there's tons of volume controls out there. Here's what I know.....

Single volume control with no transformer is what you would use for a single set of speakers connected to a receiver used mostly by themselves.

Volume controls with a transformer allow you to connect multiple sets of speakers to a single receiver....the transformers take care of the impedence matching. This lets you use a single receiver to run multiple sets of speakers at a time.

The IR receiver part of volume controls can be very nice if you're not close to your stereo, but there are many other ways of sending an IR signal across the house. There are single wall-mounted receivers you can use, and many come with the sender side for your stereo.

I've found quite a bit of useful products at I ended up using a Russound system in my house for multi-room audio. It lets you use separate sources and control them independently from each room. These systems tend to get a little pricey, but I liked the idea of having separate amplifiers. You might want to look at a really simple A-bus system, which will have its own amp for your secondary speakers, and will probably have the IR capability also. Good luck!