Porcupine Tree - Stars Die [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Tree - Stars Die

BarryL
10-17-2005, 08:53 AM
This two CD "best-of" with some new real drum recordings and some previously unreleased material was just re-released by Snapper. Great music at a great price.

If you don't know PT, start here. If you know and love them, pick it up anyway.

3-LockBox
10-17-2005, 08:50 PM
This two CD "best-of" with some new real drum recordings and some previously unreleased material was just re-released by Snapper.

Did they re-record some older stuff? If so, which stuff?

ForeverAutumn
10-18-2005, 04:32 AM
Ooops! I misread the title and thought it said Porcupine Tree - Star Dies. I thought I was about to read that Steve Wilson kicked the bucket. :eek:

I'm glad it wasn't that.

BarryL
10-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Did they re-record some older stuff? If so, which stuff?

Here's what I can discern.

This is a rerelease of this album which was originally issued in 2002. This version was "revised and remastered 2005."

Fuse The Sky - 4:33, single/ep track, first appearance on this album
Stars Die - 5:06, single/ep track, first appearance on this album

Synthesia - extended version - 7:54, previously unreleased
Phantoms - 3:14, previously unreleased
Men of Wood - 3:34, previously unreleased
Signify II - 6:04, previously unreleased

The Sound of No-one Listening - 8:12, single/ep track, first appearance on this album, and new mix exclusive to this compilation.

On some of the tracks, electronic drums have been replaced by real drums. I'm not sure which tracks, but I think if you go to the PT website you'll be able to find out.
Up the Downstair is one. Fadeaway is another. "This is the new 2004 album master featuring live drums by Gavin Harrison recorded in Dec. 2003.

Troy
10-18-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm seeing PT on friday nite!

I borrowed this from a friend and wasn't that impressed with it. A few reasons why:

The unreleased stuff is fair and the track selection of released stuff was kinda blah. For completists only.

I missed the continuity of the albums. This doesn't have flow- one of the keys to PT's mesmerizing charm.

I already had most of the songs. I hate buying stuff I already have!

There's nothing from after the band changed to a more metallic sound (In Absentia and on) so it's not really representitive of the band.

Definitely NOT the place I would send a PT newbie.

BarryL
10-18-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm seeing PT on friday nite!

They were in town a few weeks ago but I didn't go.

I hate the mid-week shows at stand-up bars that don't start until 11:00 p.m.

Maybe next time they'll book a place with seats.

Have fun at the show.

ForeverAutumn
10-18-2005, 12:18 PM
I hate the mid-week shows at stand-up bars that don't start until 11:00 p.m.

Maybe next time they'll book a place with seats.

You are definately old. If there was any doubt about it before, that post proves it.

The band's Dad, indeed!

Troy
10-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Yeah, Barry's old, but he painted that groovy Roger dean thing in mom's basement.

BarryL
10-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, Barry's old, but he painted that groovy Roger dean thing in mom's basement.

Yeah. So there FA. Hah.

(He practically threatened to beat me up if I didn't tell him.)

I know who my real friend is (even if he is a foreigner with a strange accent who wears bizarre surfer shirts while listening to bizarre surfer music).

(Okay, so his wife refused to meet me, or to be home when I come visiting, just because of my taste in music. But, I mean, is that so bad, when you actually take the time to think about it, if you can ever find the time?)

Anyway, you know what they say in Orillia: The cheese stands alone!

ForeverAutumn
10-18-2005, 02:19 PM

Yeah. So there FA. Hah.

(He practically threatened to beat me up if I didn't tell him.)

I know who my real friend is (even if he is a foreigner with a strange accent who wears bizarre surfer shirts while listening to bizarre surfer music).

(Okay, so his wife refused to meet me, or to be home when I come visiting, just because of my taste in music. But, I mean, is that so bad, when you actually take the time to think about it, if you can ever find the time?)

Anyway, you know what they say in Orillia: The cheese stands alone!

I have no quick comeback to either one of you. I'm laughing to hard to think right now.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Dusty Chalk
10-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Damit, so what about those of us that bought the earlier release, is it worth buying again? I guess only if we don't like drum machines...meh...

BarryL
10-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Damit, so what about those of us that bought the earlier release, is it worth buying again? I guess only if we don't like drum machines...meh...

I hear the 64 bit 5.1 SACD remaster will be out in 2007.