Roger Waters Opera [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Roger Waters Opera

BarryL
10-17-2005, 05:59 AM
I saw this in the shops on the weekend and was curious, because I don't like Opera.

I've now listened to about 20 minutes of it via streaming audio from the Roger Waters web site.

If you're curious, go to:

www.roger-waters.com

Give it some time to download and start streaming. It's actually quite musical, but it's still opera. Sounds a lot like a movie soundtrack at times. Would have been more accessible, obviously, if he had forgone the opera singing and gone for something more conventional. Anyway, you may want to give it a chance before slamming the door shut on this one. Here's a good way to do it for free. Good for Rogers for allowing curious listeners to get a really strong sense of whether it's for them without kicking out the 40 bucks.

BarryL
10-17-2005, 08:21 AM
I don't like Opera.

I can admire the creative work and effort, but it's not for my ears. Why do opera lovers think that screeching female vocals sound good? Can't you do an opera without that?

Troy
10-17-2005, 08:49 AM
I heard an interview with him on the radio last week. He pimped this release incessantly.

When it was done the station was inundated with callers complaining that basically "What RW/Pink Floyd fan wants to hear an opera?"

Nice of him to please his fans, the people that pay for the gas in his private jet.

He's a pompous, pretentious idiot.

Dusty Chalk
10-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Nice of him to please his fans, the people that pay for the gas in his private jet.I think he's got enough gas for a long time -- everything that he gets now (profit-wise) is gravy.

BarryL
10-17-2005, 09:43 AM
I heard an interview with him on the radio last week. He pimped this release incessantly.

When it was done the station was inundated with callers complaining that basically "What RW/Pink Floyd fan wants to hear an opera?"

Nice of him to please his fans, the people that pay for the gas in his private jet.

He's a pompous, pretentious idiot.

And you're in a good mood!

Troy
10-17-2005, 11:49 AM
And you're in a good mood!

Oh, but I am!

I'm just gonna call it like I see it. Pretty cut and dried from where I sit.

At least he didn't sell "Wish You Were Here" to travelocity . . . yet.

3-LockBox
10-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I can admire the creative work and effort, but it's not for my ears. Why do opera lovers think that screeching female vocals sound good? Can't you do an opera without that?

Some people wonder why we listen to such long songs w/ keyboard layden music :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I can't stand opera either. But I don't begrudge him his oportunity to branch out and experiment (like some people ;)) As long I don't have to listen to it. And no, as a long time fan of Waters, I don't feel obligated to give it a try either.

NP: a very pretencious CD, Metallica's S&M

BarryL
10-18-2005, 05:54 AM
Some people wonder why we listen to such long songs w/ keyboard layden music :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I can't stand opera either.

I saw Carmen last week. It turned out that there's a lot of music in it that I recognized, but the story was so lame, it did nothing for me. I've seen two operas now in two years, and I only want to see one more. I want to see one of those tear-jerker "real" opera tragedy's that everyone says you have to experience, you know, like the one in Godfather 3. Then that's it. Give me Jesus Christ Superstar anyday.

Okay, who wants to bet that Neal Morse does an opera too before his final demise?

Also, Paul McCartney.

And Elvis Costello would also be pompous enough to try it.

3-LockBox
10-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Okay, who wants to bet that Neal Morse does an opera too before his final demise? Also, Paul McCartney. And Elvis Costello would also be pompous enough to try it.

I'm surprised that Macca hasn't done one yet, now that you mention it.

But yeah, Neal Morse is a shoe-in.