I need SUB recommendations PLEASE! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need SUB recommendations PLEASE!

lowkey37
10-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I just purchased a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's and the cc-570, now I need a great sub for music and movies. On my list to hear/feel are Paradigm's Servo-15, seismic12, M&K 350, Earthquake any other ideas would be great. I already heard the Servo-15 and it was very nice. I really want one that is pretty quick with music(rock,pop,,jazz). I plan on spending between 800-1500. Just looking for more options-Thanks for your input.

Geoffcin
10-16-2005, 11:14 AM
I just purchased a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's and the cc-570, now I need a great sub for music and movies. On my list to hear/feel are Paradigm's Servo-15, seismic12, M&K 350, Earthquake any other ideas would be great. I already heard the Servo-15 and it was very nice. I really want one that is pretty quick with music(rock,pop,,jazz). I plan on spending between 800-1500. Just looking for more options-Thanks for your input.

It's right in your price range @ $1150. I don't want to give away the whole review, but I was really impressed with this sub, and thought it was one of the best 12" subs that I've ever heard. Its' both powerful AND musical. Ultra-low distortion too, approaching that of much more expensive servo subs. The Axiom sub also has some sophisticated and useful controls that make it easier to adjust for variable rooms. It gets a hearty "Recommended" from me!

Woochifer
10-16-2005, 11:34 AM
What size room do you have? That would actually go a long way towards deciding which sub to go with. A powerful ported sub would likely overpower a small room because of how the boundary gain reinforces the low frequencies. Sealed subs generally work well with smaller rooms because their more gradual rolloff at the low end is better suited to working with the boundary gain that you get in smaller rooms. This, along with their inherently faster transients, leads to sealed subs sometimes being perceived as more "musical" sounding, although well designed ported subs can sound every bit as good with music. A lot of it depends on how the sub integrates with the room.

The Servo 15 is one of the nicer subs out there, but the current v.2 version is now well outside of your price range (about $2,200). If you can find one of the v.1 Servo-15s, then you should be able to buy for well under the $1,500 list price. Paradigm has positioned the Seismic line to occupy the price point where the Servo 15 used to be. On paper, those are formidable subs with a lot of low end extension and output. The Seismic subs use a downfiring driver with two passive radiators, so their rolloff characterstics should be comparable to a sealed sub (not sure about the transient characteristics).

If you're interested in sealed options, you should look at Rocket's ULW-12, B&W's ASW750, Atlantic Technology, Martin Logan, and Acoustic Visions (they have a custom build 15" model called the Kilamanjaro that they sell for $1,500). You should also look into DIY options like the oft-recommended Titanic kits from Dayton.

Whatever option you look into, you should also invest in a SPL meter and test disc. Knowing the actual in-room response will help identify any room-induced problems with the sub. Then you can use a combination of positioning, room treatments, and/or equalization to fine tune the bass so that it's as accurate and full sounding as possible. Parametric equalization is an approach that I highly recommend for anyone who's looking into a sub.

N. Abstentia
10-16-2005, 11:47 AM
If you've already listened to the Servo 15, there's not much use in trying M&K or Earthquake. Quite frankly, they are junk compared to the Servo 15 which is one of the better subs available. I recently tried a B&W sub that was almost as nice as the Servo, but it was over $3000. What's your limit?

lowkey37
10-16-2005, 12:26 PM
What size room do you have? That would actually go a long way towards deciding which sub to go with. A powerful ported sub would likely overpower a small room because of how the boundary gain reinforces the low frequencies. Sealed subs generally work well with smaller rooms because their more gradual rolloff at the low end is better suited to working with the boundary gain that you get in smaller rooms. This, along with their inherently faster transients, leads to sealed subs sometimes being perceived as more "musical" sounding, although well designed ported subs can sound every bit as good with music. A lot of it depends on how the sub integrates with the room.

The Servo 15 is one of the nicer subs out there, but the current v.2 version is now well outside of your price range (about $2,200). If you can find one of the v.1 Servo-15s, then you should be able to buy for well under the $1,500 list price. Paradigm has positioned the Seismic line to occupy the price point where the Servo 15 used to be. On paper, those are formidable subs with a lot of low end extension and output. The Seismic subs use a downfiring driver with two passive radiators, so their rolloff characterstics should be comparable to a sealed sub (not sure about the transient characteristics).

If you're interested in sealed options, you should look at Rocket's ULW-12, B&W's ASW750, Atlantic Technology, Martin Logan, and Acoustic Visions (they have a custom build 15" model called the Kilamanjaro that they sell for $1,500). You should also look into DIY options like the oft-recommended Titanic kits from Dayton.

Whatever option you look into, you should also invest in a SPL meter and test disc. Knowing the actual in-room response will help identify any room-induced problems with the sub. Then you can use a combination of positioning, room treatments, and/or equalization to fine tune the bass so that it's as accurate and full sounding as possible. Parametric equalization is an approach that I highly recommend for anyone who's looking into a sub.My room is 14x22

kexodusc
10-16-2005, 04:27 PM
My room is 14x22
You're in good shape for either a 12" or 15" sub then, sealed or ported.