Component vs HDMI for DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Component vs HDMI for DVD

olympia
10-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I just purchased a Denon AVR 2106 and a Denon 1920 DVD. Question is this, I have the option of hooking up the DVD two ways to my Samsung DLP. Which is the best route to go and are there advantages to either?

1) Video by HDMI direct to TV and audio using a Digital Coax to my receiver.
2) Component from DVD to TV and audio the same.

I swear I keep reading that component is BETTER than HDMI as far as picture quality. I can't believe that personally. And it says in the manual that if I use HDMI for the video connection, signals are output in interlace versus progressive. I thought progressive was much better so why would the supposed better connection be limited to interlace output?Secondly, if I use HDMI to the TV and use the Digital Coax to my receiver, this should have no limitations on my audio would it?

HELP PLEASE I'm getting confused and frustrated.

N. Abstentia
10-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Use HDMI if possible, it's better than component because HDMI keeps the video signal digital all the way to the TV. If you use component it has to be converted to analog beforehand, then back to digital at the TV.

L.J.
10-15-2005, 12:14 PM
I just purchased a Denon AVR 2106 and a Denon 1920 DVD. Question is this, I have the option of hooking up the DVD two ways to my Samsung DLP. Which is the best route to go and are there advantages to either?

1) Video by HDMI direct to TV and audio using a Digital Coax to my receiver.
2) Component from DVD to TV and audio the same.

I swear I keep reading that component is BETTER than HDMI as far as picture quality. I can't believe that personally. And it says in the manual that if I use HDMI for the video connection, signals are output in interlace versus progressive. I thought progressive was much better so why would the supposed better connection be limited to interlace output?Secondly, if I use HDMI to the TV and use the Digital Coax to my receiver, this should have no limitations on my audio would it?

HELP PLEASE I'm getting confused and frustrated.

You could go either way.HDMI gives you the advantage of a direct digital connection, which is supposed to give you a better picture. It is considered to be a step up from component, but using component with p.scan is gonna give you a flawless picture as well. I'm using a DVI connection from my 2910 to my JVC.

I believe the manual is saying if you go with HDMI than no progressive signal will be sent to the component and vice versa.

Also your audio connection fine. You could go with Dig. coax or Optical. Make sure you shop around for cables if you don't have any yet. No need to drop $150 on a monster HDMI