Lord of the Rings Marathon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings Marathon

hmmmm
10-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Well, we finally did it after talking about it for about a year now. A couple friends came over last Sat. and we started watching Lord of the Rings Extended Versions at about 4:00 p.m. and went until we finished them all (approx. 5:00 a.m.). My wife was out of town and my daughter stayed at her friends, so we cranked it up. We watched it in DTS-ES and it sounded awesome. It started to become painful keeping the eyes open at about 3:00 a.m. but we had to endure. The worst thing was that I had to pick up my daughter at 7:30 in the morning. The food and friends were great- it's just too bad it took me 3 days to recover!
Side note...if you ever decide to do this, I recommend you don't get the "Great American Feast" from famous Dave's. All of that barbeque food and beans made it tough to make it in an enclosed area with a group of guys:)
Next marathon- Karate Kid! Just kidding.
Have a great weekend.

L.J.
10-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Well, we finally did it after talking about it for about a year now. A couple friends came over last Sat. and we started watching Lord of the Rings Extended Versions at about 4:00 p.m. and went until we finished them all (approx. 5:00 a.m.). My wife was out of town and my daughter stayed at her friends, so we cranked it up. We watched it in DTS-ES and it sounded awesome. It started to become painful keeping the eyes open at about 3:00 a.m. but we had to endure. The worst thing was that I had to pick up my daughter at 7:30 in the morning. The food and friends were great- it's just too bad it took me 3 days to recover!
Side note...if you ever decide to do this, I recommend you don't get the "Great American Feast" from famous Dave's. All of that barbeque food and beans made it tough to make it in an enclosed area with a group of guys:)
Next marathon- Karate Kid! Just kidding.
Have a great weekend.

I had planned on doing such a party about a year ago myself. It just never happened. I love a good a flic as much as the next guy, but I don't know about 12 straight hours :eek: . I probably would have been too drunk by the end of the night to stay up anyways. :D

Florian
10-15-2005, 08:54 AM
That is so cool! We did a marathon like that but only with the first 2 extended editions since the third one wasnt out yet. It was hard enough with the 2 !

:-)

JohnMichael
10-15-2005, 12:27 PM
What a great time that must have been. I think if I try that we will start in the morning and have Irish coffees, drunk but awake for the whole thing. Thanks for the idea I will plan that for a nice fall weekend. Oh and thanks for the tip about no barbecue. We might also want to avoid refried beans and taco salad.

hmmmm
10-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Well, we did start drinking early but paced ourselves. I had a pot of Starbucks coffee ready about halfway through the second movie which helped out a lot.
I think someone should do the Entire Star Wars Series. ----Let me know how that goes:)

Woochifer
10-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Well, we did start drinking early but paced ourselves. I had a pot of Starbucks coffee ready about halfway through the second movie which helped out a lot.
I think someone should do the Entire Star Wars Series. ----Let me know how that goes:)

Once Episode III comes out in a few weeks, you KNOW that's going to happen all over the place.

Geoffcin
10-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Once Episode III comes out in a few weeks, you KNOW that's going to happen all over the place.

The LOTR trilogy were actually GOOD movies. I shudder to think of what a day of Jar-Jar Binks & co. would do to my sanity...

Defshep
10-16-2005, 12:13 PM
The LOTR trilogy were actually GOOD movies. I shudder to think of what a day of Jar-Jar Binks & co. would do to my sanity...
Agreed! Maybe it could start with Episode 2...

Geoffcin
10-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Agreed! Maybe it could start with Episode 2...

Perhaps a marathon of one! (episode 3)

recoveryone
10-18-2005, 05:59 PM
MAN, I was watching a sitcom the other night and they had a group of guys watching LOTR Marathon........They called them LOSERSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...lol don't fret I did all 10 disk of Band of Brothers in one day

vxaudio
10-18-2005, 07:48 PM
earlier this summer, some of my buds did all four seasons of smallville. i had to study and couldn't join in and i'm glad of it. by season 3, they ran out of beer and food, but they eventually made it all the way through. 6 started and 3 finished.

fyi 4 seasons about 22 episodes per season at about 45 minutes per equaled:
66hrs or 2days and 18hrs. so when i had them over for the extended LOTR marathon a few weeks later, at about 11 or 12 hours, they laughed at me. that was plenty for me though.

Kam
10-19-2005, 05:10 AM
watched all of "North and South" Books 1 and 2 straight through... ahh the saga of the Main's and the Hazard's... 1,131 minutes of good 'ol fashioned network miniseries... takes me back.

recoveryone
10-20-2005, 07:52 AM
I not sure if you folks remember this show "Space Above and beyond" I picked up the complete series and watched it all also Oooooooh myyyyyyyyyyy

am I a LLLLLLOOOOOSSSSRRRRRRRRR, Geek, Nerd, outcast

or just enjoy good moives lol :)

jamison
10-25-2005, 09:03 PM
just drop a few hits of good acid ... im sure it will keep you up and the rings trilogy has enough ominous parts to it to keep you a trippin .. me at 39 my last acid trip was in my 20's never again ..... i need what brain cells i have left

JohnMichael
10-26-2005, 07:18 AM
just drop a few hits of good acid ... im sure it will keep you up and the rings trilogy has enough ominous parts to it to keep you a trippin .. me at 39 my last acid trip was in my 20's never again ..... i need what brain cells i have left

Ah yes memories.