Making my own power cables.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Making my own power cables..

N. Abstentia
10-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm making my own power cables for my amps & subwoofer, and while I feel I know what I'm doing I just wanted to get a second opinion here. I know electronics, not so much electricity :D

I'm using 10/3 cable, and the amp connectors only have two prongs..no middle ground. Do I just not need to connect the ground wire in the cables? Just clip it and forget it?

And while we're on it, why does stereo equipment not have a gound connection? I've always wondered that!

kexodusc
10-15-2005, 03:52 AM
I'm making my own power cables for my amps & subwoofer, and while I feel I know what I'm doing I just wanted to get a second opinion here. I know electronics, not so much electricity :D

I'm using 10/3 cable, and the amp connectors only have two prongs..no middle ground. Do I just not need to connect the ground wire in the cables? Just clip it and forget it?

And while we're on it, why does stereo equipment not have a gound connection? I've always wondered that!

You must be awerfully bored if you're making your own power cables...those things are the cheapest item at any computer parts store. Sounds fun though.

Most electronics ground themselves through the inputs/outputs, which often leads to ground loop. I don't know why, just that they do this. I wouldn't cut the 3rd prong, just buy a $0.79 3-prong to 2-prong adapter.

Some of my heavy duty amps do have 3 prong grounded connections. But, for the most part, the ground is overkill...the fault in the electronic device would have to be disastrously catastrophic for you to actually need the ground.

N. Abstentia
10-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks Kex!

But I'm not making the $.29 cent variety 18 gauge power cords, the ones I wanted were $139 each so I figured I'd just make them myself to the exact length I need...with 10 gauge cable!

I won't be cutting the 3rd prong, I just won't be connecting the ground cable inside the connectors. Those 2/3 prong adapters are a huge NO NO!

kexodusc
10-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Well I wasnt' thinking of the 18 gauge stuff, I think it's 12 gauge not sure...what lengths are we running here? 10 gauge seems to me like unecessary bulk for home electronics. Unless you're gonna plug your car into your stereo or something...that'd be cool.

N. Abstentia
10-15-2005, 12:13 PM
We're talking like 5 foot runs. Unecessary bulk? Yeah maybe. But the way I see it I want to upgrade the cables anyway, those cheap 16/18 (these are definitely not 12) have got to go anyway. So it's either spend $400 on PS Audio cables or make my own for like $60. And since these are for my self powered front speakers they will be visible and this 10/3 cable I have looks impressive. Those flimsy cheap cables are crap!

daviethek
10-15-2005, 02:31 PM
you don't have to spend 400.00. PS has an intro cable ( Power Punch) that I found to very good for 49.00. I have seen at least two sites with 12/3 belden,teflon shielded with quality hospital grade connectors for around 100.00 ea.. Just some options if you don't want to do it yourself.

N. Abstentia
10-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah I was looking at the PS Audio but I didn't like the entry levels...If I was going to do it I would at least get the next one up, plus I need 4 of them which is how I came up with the $400 :)

E-Stat
10-19-2005, 08:19 AM

While I would never defeat a ground, if a component does not use one, then you can leave the ground wire unattached. I took that approach when rewiring a CDP and two powered subs.

I made a PC recently using 12 gauge Belden 83803 double shielded alarm cable UL rated for 300 volts / 20 amps using Marinco connectors. I used Techflex and heat shrink for cosmetics. All of which I purchased through Parts Express.

rw

jneutron
10-19-2005, 08:54 AM
While I would never defeat a ground, if a component does not use one, then you can leave the ground wire unattached. I took that approach when rewiring a CDP and two powered subs.

I made a PC recently using 12 gauge Belden 83803 double shielded alarm cable UL rated for 300 volts / 20 amps using Marinco connectors. I used Techflex and heat shrink for cosmetics. All of which I purchased through Parts Express.

rwYou don't know what your doin..I can't even pronounce what's wrong with you..your mother wears....oops, wrong forum...sorry..

E-stat..I'm pissed at you...you were in the neighborhood, didn't give me a shout-out..

I'm beginnin ta think ya doesn't likes me..I had a line cord..dude..

My friend decided to get back into his hi-fi habit...guess he's gonna hafta be the one to try my stuff..

Cheers, John

E-Stat
10-19-2005, 10:03 AM
E-stat..I'm pissed at you...you were in the neighborhood, didn't give me a shout-out..
If you're referring to my recent visit to Sea Cliff, I was kinda tight on time. Originally Geoff and I had planned to do lunch, but his plans worked out otherwise.

I'm beginnin ta think ya doesn't likes me..I had a line cord..dude..
Thanks, but I've already got a collection of vanilla ones on the shelf already.

My friend decided to get back into his hi-fi habit...guess he's gonna hafta be the one to try my stuff..
My offer still stands to buy one of your $20 "beats-everything-on-the-market" designs and give it a try. I'll double that amount to cover S&H. Just tell me where to mail the check. I won't tell anyone where I got it. ;).

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=96419&postcount=59

rw

jneutron
10-19-2005, 10:56 AM
If you're referring to my recent visit to Sea Cliff, I was kinda tight on time. Originally Geoff and I had planned to do lunch, but his plans worked out otherwise.
rwYah yah, that's what ALL those bad yaysayers do...

"Come out to the coast, have a good time"

Snubbed..big time..by the stat-man...

I'll remember this dude..

Thanks, but I've already got a collection of vanilla ones on the shelf already.
rwHeh Heh..you missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime, dude..Vanilla my ###.., it's the best powercord on the planet, dude..;) not only can it survive cryo, it's designed to be used cryo..;)

My offer still stands to buy one of your $20 "beats-everything-on-the-market" designs and give it a try. I'll double that amount to cover S&H. Just tell me where to mail the check. I won't tell anyone where I got it. ;).
rw
You had the opportunity to hear the best line cord in the world on H's system.. but, NoOOOOOOO...you just hadta snub me...

WELL, toodles to you...you want it now, markup is 1000%.no, wait...10,000%...that'll teach ya..

Hope the trip went well. Sorry we couldn't hook up, I was really hoping to get some earplay..

I made a real good cord, it's 6 feet long, # 10 awg equiv..but stiffer than all getout..measures rather well, but that's not the same as hearing, isn't it?

Just measured a piece of "straightwire" for that friend of mine..it's brown, double coax, looks like teflon between the braids..but the numbers seem a little off to be teflon..I kinda think it might be pvc, as the DC of pvc is supposed to be around 3.4.

It measured 102 pf per foot, 32.9 nH per foot, with a dielectric coefficient of 3.27 at 10Khz. Couldn't do R right now, but he says it's about #12 equiv. It's characteristic impedance is 17.8 ohms..

Z too high, L too high, DC too high..it should be better for true audio...and #12, eh, so so..

For whatever reason, he doesn't like the sound of it as a single run.

He uses this stuff for lows, some kinda twisted pair for the highs..

Soon, I'll get a chance to hear his stuff, see what he's talking about..

Cheers, John (snubbed, how am I ever gonna survive?):(

(ya know, it's a shame the powers here chased so many away..prophead is such a waste of time..)

E-Stat
10-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Snubbed..big time..by the stat-man...

I'll remember this dude..
Sorry man, I had two days to hear the ASR Emitter 2 "Blue" amps on the main system and the Super Maggie HT system with the Barco 8" projector. Comparing power cords was not in the cards.

Heh Heh..you missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime, dude..Vanilla my ###.., it's the best powercord on the planet, dude..;) not only can it survive cryo, it's designed to be used cryo..;)
As of your last communique I referenced, you had only spoken of the knowledge to design such a cord. I didn't know a prototype existed! I thought you meant a two buck generic IEC. :)

Hope the trip went well. Sorry we couldn't hook up, I was really hoping to get some earplay..
I can certainly arrange that.

I made a real good cord, it's 6 feet long, # 10 awg equiv..but stiffer than all getout..measures rather well, but that's not the same as hearing, isn't it?
That's the acid test.

(ya know, it's a shame the powers here chased so many away..prophead is such a waste of time..)
That's where the worlds need to meet. Test empirical data on a killer system for verification!

rw

jneutron
10-20-2005, 05:18 AM
As of your last communique I referenced, you had only spoken of the knowledge to design such a cord. I didn't know a prototype existed! I thought you meant a two buck generic IEC. :)
rwAh, this explains your vanilla reference..
I built one and put the picture somewhere..I cannot find the jpeg at this moment..:confused:

I see your confusion...there is no viable reason to connect a two buck IEC cord to any system if one desires observing performance..or more specifically, a change in performance.

No, my cord does not interact with the external world in the way everything I have seen to date does. There may be some that are built this way, but I am unaware of them..

That's where the worlds need to meet. Test empirical data on a killer system for verification! rwThat is of course the scientific method. It is necessary to model the systems and interactions, design items which alter the interactions, then put the rubber to the road so to speak.

I will soon test my cord using additional equipment, however, the workshop within which I will perform such tests is shall we say, missing at this time??

They are pouring the footings today..

Cheers, John

Pat
11-19-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm using 10/3 cable, and the amp connectors only have two prongs..no middle ground. Do I just not need to connect the ground wire in the cables? Just clip it and forget it?!
That's exactly what I did when I made mine, my 50's house does not have grounded receptacles anyway.