Whatcha gonna watch this weekend? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha gonna watch this weekend?

L.J.
10-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Anybody got any plans to watch anything this weekend?

I just got Lawrence of Arabia and Das Boot in the mail yesterday. Both superbit versions. I also gotta few others I haven't had a chance to see. Fifth Element, Stargate, Master & Commander and Hero(All DTS) :D. I don't know which one to throw on first.

Soo many movies, too little time

Lexmark3200
10-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Well, LJ, me and the little woman are gonna sit down with OFFICE SPACE tonight----can you BELIEVE that she never saw that? And tomorrow there is no movie night, as we have tickets for George Carlin at the Stardust Hotel on the Vegas Strip.

L.J.
10-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, LJ, me and the little woman are gonna sit down with OFFICE SPACE tonight----can you BELIEVE that she never saw that? And tomorrow there is no movie night, as we have tickets for George Carlin at the Stardust Hotel on the Vegas Strip.

It's suppose to rain over here tomorrow. I'll probably watch Das Boot tonight. We just went out to dinner last night so I'll most likely be able to get another movie in tomorrow night :D . Sunday and Monday is dedicated to Football of course. Have a nice night out on the town.

Kam
10-15-2005, 05:54 AM
after a whoooooooole lotta college football. (two towers extended last night) on tap is: M, Bicycle Thief, Return of the King Extended Ed. and Serenity finally tomorrow!

kexodusc
10-15-2005, 07:15 AM
after a whoooooooole lotta college football. (two towers extended last night) on tap is: M, Bicycle Thief, Return of the King Extended Ed. and Serenity finally tomorrow!
Okay, the Canadian in me reveals it's ugly head. Not ONLY am I gonna watch about 15 hours of College, NFL, and Canadian league football, but I've already seen a Major Junior hockey game live, going to a college hockey game tonight, and yes, the new improved NHL is back in a big way.
Thank god for HDTV and PVR's.

Woochifer
10-16-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm with kex, this is mid-October -- best time of year to be a sports fan, who has time for movies? College football starts to shake out its national and conference championship contenders, pro football's well underway, the baseball playoffs are headed to the World Series, we got both hockey and basketball starting up, and though I don't follow NASCAR, that series is now down to the final races in The Chase.

L.J.
10-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Come on guys, there's always time for a movie.

Well I guess my sports schedule is a little more open than some of yours. Huge fan of the NFL. All day Sunday and Monday night is strictly football. Never been able to get into college. Probably would have helped if I went to college. Use to be into baseball but it just fell off. Hockey, never got into it. Basketball, fell off last year, but I plan to get back into it this year.

dean_martin
10-16-2005, 04:44 PM

I just got Lawrence of Arabia and Das Boot in the mail yesterday. Both superbit versions. I also gotta few others I haven't had a chance to see. Fifth Element, Stargate, Master & Commander and Hero(All DTS) :D. I don't know which one to throw on first.

Soo many movies, too little time

I didn't plan on watching Requiem for a Dream, but I've been wanting to see it. It was on late, late, late last night. What a graphic depiction of a downward spiral. It's kind of like Trainspotting without the humour and redemption.

Make sure you have plenty o' time for Lawrence and Das Boot. I loved the epic scope of Lawrence and the constant tension of Das Boot.

dean_martin
10-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Bicycle Thief

I searched this out after watching The Player (dir. Altman w/Tim Robbins) which referred to it. The Bicycle Thief is a great film. I've seen a movie from China recently with a similar story though I didn't think it was as emotional as the original.

I copied The Bicycle Thief off Showtime. Showtime used to feature foreign classics on Fri. mornings about 10 years ago.

L.J.
10-16-2005, 05:10 PM
I didn't plan on watching Requiem for a Dream, but I've been wanting to see it. It was on late, late, late last night. What a graphic depiction of a downward spiral. It's kind of like Trainspotting without the humour and redemption.

Make sure you have plenty o' time for Lawrence and Das Boot. I loved the epic scope of Lawrence and the constant tension of Das Boot.

I didn't get a chance to see either. I did end up throwing on Fifth Element(superbit) friday night. I was supposed to do Das Boot on Sat but unexpected dinner plans came up. Wifee won this time ;) . Today, nothing but Football.

Take it easy

L.J.
10-17-2005, 07:22 AM
I finally gotta chance to see Fifth Element on Friday. I thought it was O.K. Nice if you love sci-fi. My Sat. night movie plans turned into dinner with the in-laws.(You can't when em all ;) ).

I switched back and forth between the Pitt/Jack game and the N.Y./Dallas game. Unexpected finishes for both. That's what I love about Football, one second it's seems like the games over, then BAAM!

Since Oakland was blacked out. I had the pleasure of watching the Pats get spanked. Nice little comeback attempt though. To bring it within a decent score from being down 28-3 always keeps ya on your toes.

After watching Houston get destroyed for most of the game, I turned it off early and watched Hero. I thought Hero was very good. Nice picture and story, and an excellent soundtrack(I watched the DTS version in the Mandarin language). This DVD was well worth the $10 bucks I paid for it. I still gotta buy out some time for Das Boot and Lawrence of Arabia.

paul_pci
10-17-2005, 03:45 PM
This weeked I watched the Santa Barbara Symphony play Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 and a few other pieces. But if it's any consolation I have Sahara and Love Song for Bobby Long I need to watch sson before returning to Ballbuster, sorry I mean, Blockbuster.

L.J.
10-17-2005, 03:55 PM
This weeked I watched the Santa Barbara Symphony play Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 and a few other pieces. But if it's any consolation I have Sahara and Love Song for Bobby Long I need to watch sson before returning to Ballbuster, sorry I mean, Blockbuster.

Let me know what you think of Sahara.

recoveryone
10-18-2005, 07:28 AM
I picked up Kingdom of Heaven last week and watched it over the weekend. Nice story, but needed more depth. Olando Bloom fit the part but as with many films the timeline was too fast. Bloom goes from a peasent Blacksmith to a Baron (handed down from his never known father) and defending the city of Jerusalem all within a month time. Within all this you have a love interest develope among other politcal moves going on. The story did tie up all of the parts together, but I felt there should have been more. This would have been a very good two part movie, showing how Bloom grew as a young man and new leader of his land and then move on to his role as defender of the city.

paul_pci
10-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Let me know what you think of Sahara.

So I finally watched Sahara the other night and I thought it was pretty good, maybe a B-. I thought the two leads were well cast and the sidekick character "Al" was well played and written. It was an action-adventure style blending Bond action with Indiana Jones adventure, even to the point a lamenting a lost hat. The plot begins with two separate threads, McConaughey's story and Cruz's story which becomes intertwined and integrated into each other a la True Lies. The movie's major weaknesses come in its predictibility (which I don't always mind) and the way in which you get the sense that Cruz's character and plot becomes increasingly tangential as the "male" plot takes it over, reminiscent of what happens with Johannsen in The Island. All in all, I liked it. Soundtrack was good, music good, but not outstanding.

L.J.
10-20-2005, 12:01 PM
So I finally watched Sahara the other night and I thought it was pretty good, maybe a B-. I thought the two leads were well cast and the sidekick character "Al" was well played and written. It was an action-adventure style blending Bond action with Indiana Jones adventure, even to the point a lamenting a lost hat. The plot begins with two separate threads, McConaughey's story and Cruz's story which becomes intertwined and integrated into each other a la True Lies. The movie's major weaknesses come in its predictibility (which I don't always mind) and the way in which you get the sense that Cruz's character and plot becomes increasingly tangential as the "male" plot takes it over, reminiscent of what happens with Johannsen in The Island. All in all, I liked it. Soundtrack was good, music good, but not outstanding.

I'll have to put this one on the back burner. I got two many movies on my list already. I tried to put on Stargate last night but my beautiful other half put a stop to that. I also wanted to see Hitchhikers, The Haunting, Das Boot, Lawrence of Arabia and There's something about Mary(nope, never saw it. According to a previous thread, everyone thought it was really funny). My hard, depressing life. What ever shall I do? :rolleyes:

Thank for the mini review

shokhead
10-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Everything i TiVoed from 9pm on this week. :o

Woochifer
10-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Even though it's another great sports weekend in the making, I'll probably carve out some time to mine through the documentaries, commentary tracks, and other extras from the Batman Begins two-disc set and the Batman Anthology. So far, the seven-part Shadows of the Bat documentary that spans the full Anthology has been a very interesting viewing. The only disappointment is that it doesn't really track how huge a phenomenon that first Batman movie truly was.

Lexmark3200
10-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Even though it's another great sports weekend in the making, I'll probably carve out some time to mine through the documentaries, commentary tracks, and other extras from the Batman Begins two-disc set and the Batman Anthology. So far, the seven-part Shadows of the Bat documentary that spans the full Anthology has been a very interesting viewing. The only disappointment is that it doesn't really track how huge a phenomenon that first Batman movie truly was.

I'll probably do the same.....aside from renting BATMAN BEGINS to do a review on it and consider a purchase, I would like to find the time to get through the extra materials on the Anthology discs.

paul_pci
10-20-2005, 10:53 PM
I ordered my Batman Begins through Amazon, so it'll be another week or two until it arrives.

L.J.
10-28-2005, 01:38 PM
I managed to watch Stargate and I,Robot during the week. I still gotta buy out some time for Lawrence of Arabia, Das Boot and Master & Commander.

GMichael
10-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I managed to watch Stargate and I,Robot during the week. I still gotta buy out some time for Lawrence of Arabia, Das Boot and Master & Commander.

How did you like Stargate and I,Robot? Enough base for you?

L.J.
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
How did you like Stargate and I,Robot? Enough base for you?

Stargate was alright. I might have to watch that one again. Lot's of bass when the ship landed. :) I actually thought Fifth Element was better of the two. I thought I,Robot had a excellent soundtrack and I liked the story. Nice stuff for HT

Woochifer
10-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Going to carve out a little bit of time this weekend to go through the supplementals on the new Titanic special edition DVD. Aside from finally putting out an anamorphic version of the movie and including a new 6.1 DTS ES soundtrack, the supplemental disc on the new edition includes 45 minutes worth of deleted scenes.

That will be very interesting to go through because of how disastrous the test screenings went when test audiences were shown a 4 1/2 hour rough cut that presumably includes a lot of those deleted scenes. The resulting publicity that resulted from the audience feedback left everyone bracing for a box office disaster when Titanic came out. History obviously had a different story to tell. I heard that the rough cut had to use storyboards during critical scenes because the visual effects weren't finished yet, and the music had to rely on canned tracks because the score hadn't been composed. The movie itself is already pretty melodramatic, I can only imagine the unintentional humor when you got all this over the top acting against a backdrop of green screens and pencil sketches with canned music playing in the background.

L.J.
10-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Going to carve out a little bit of time this weekend to go through the supplementals on the new Titanic special edition DVD. Aside from finally putting out an anamorphic version...

I was wondering what does anamorphic mean exactly?

Woochifer
10-28-2005, 04:02 PM
I was wondering what does anamorphic mean exactly?

It simply means that the picture is enhanced for widescreen TVs by anamorphically compressing the image, which a widescreen TV will then stretch out. The advantage to anamorphically enhanced DVDs is that they provide a higher level of detail for widescreen TVs. Almost all widescreen DVDs nowadays are anamorphically enhanced, but in the early days of the format, the majority of them were not. Link with info below.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/anamorphic185demo.html

L.J.
10-28-2005, 04:32 PM
It simply means that the picture is enhanced for widescreen TVs by anamorphically compressing the image, which a widescreen TV will then stretch out. The advantage to anamorphically enhanced DVDs is that they provide a higher level of detail for widescreen TVs. Almost all widescreen DVDs nowadays are anamorphically enhanced, but in the early days of the format, the majority of them were not. Link with info below.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/anamorphic185demo.html

Thank you. That was a great link.

snodog
10-29-2005, 10:09 PM
I watched the exorcist for Halloween mood. What a great flick! The extras on the disc are interesting too.

L.J.
11-11-2005, 07:04 AM
I finally gotta chance to see House of Flying Daggers last night. Not as good as Hero IMO, but I did like it.

I still got a huge list of movies to watch. Master&Commander, Das Boot, Lawrence, LOTR extended editions......it goes on and on. I will try to sneak in one on Sat. Still waiting for my Batman Begins in the mail :mad: .

Taking my kid to see Zathura tomorrow. I'm.........Oh I mean he's, looking foward to seeing it.

paul_pci
11-12-2005, 12:48 PM
I finally gotta chance to see House of Flying Daggers last night. Not as good as Hero IMO, but I did like it.

I still got a huge list of movies to watch. Master&Commander, Das Boot, Lawrence, LOTR extended editions......it goes on and on. I will try to sneak in one on Sat. Still waiting for my Batman Begins in the mail :mad: .

Taking my kid to see Zathura tomorrow. I'm.........Oh I mean he's, looking foward to seeing it.

I told you.

My girlfriend's making me watch the Harry Potter movies this weekend because she wants me to go see the new one with her. We watched the Sorcerer's Stone last night. Not too bad, I suppose.

s dog
11-12-2005, 02:07 PM

Soo many movies, too little time Batman Begins.

L.J.
11-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Batman Begins.

Still waiting for mine in the mail. I'm pretty pissed about this, it's been about 3 wks :mad:

L.J.
11-12-2005, 02:41 PM
I told you.

My girlfriend's making me watch the Harry Potter movies this weekend because she wants me to go see the new one with her. We watched the Sorcerer's Stone last night. Not too bad, I suppose.

Yeah, it was alright. Nice DD track. I thought the story was a little weak. Not close to Hero but still a very good watch IMO.

caniac
11-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Nobody's mentioned Kingdom of Heaven. A slow-moving film but the sequence with the siege towers coming down is worth the price of admission.