Outlaw 1070 receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw 1070 receiver

nightflier
10-14-2005, 10:26 AM
I was about to upgrade to the Onkyo 702 receiver and a friend told me that Outlaw Audio has a brand new receiver, the model 1070. Has anyone had an opportunity to use it? It only has 65W per channel, but it also has DVI input & output, 8 digital inputs, 12v trigger, independent bass-management, and video up-conversion (not on the DVI), that I don't think the Onkyo has.

Here is the link: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

One thing I always liked about the Onkyo's was their ease of setup and solid power output. It was also a notch better than my experience with Denon and Yamaha, but that's a matter of taste I'm sure. Anyone know how the Outlaw stacks up (reliability/recalls, power output, intuitive OSD, etc.)? Also, will it allow me to ditch my ICBM (never had a problem with it but too many cables back there)?

N. Abstentia
10-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Don't let the low sounding 65 watts fool you. Outlaw's 65 watts will destroy Onkyo's 65 watts because Outlaw uses real world ratings.

I haven't used the 1070, but other Outlaw stuff I've used has been very high quality so I would imagine their receiver would be no different. It should be a notch above the chain store stuff like Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha.

anamorphic96
10-14-2005, 08:20 PM
The Outlaw power is all channels driven full bandwidth. Here is a recent review I found.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/outlaw-1070-receiver-9-2005-part-1.html

nightflier
10-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks. That was the first review I have read about this receiver and it was very informative. I'm going to evaluate it's features agains the Onkyo and see if I can audition both receivers.

One thing I do not like about the 1070 is that it will not up-convert to DVI, something most other receivers are now able to do.

What about the Outlaw 990 preamp? Apart from needing an external amp, I take it that it has all the same features. Does it upconvert to DVI?

N. Abstentia
10-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah the 990 has all the same features plus tons more. It takes it a step further, but does not up convert to DVI either.

nightflier
10-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah the 990 has all the same features plus tons more. It takes it a step further, but does not up convert to DVI either.

Apart from not having an amp, the 990 appears to have just about the same features. I've been reading the Outlaw website, and I don't see very much different from the 1070.

This is all I found (none of which I would find that useful in my home):

- Balanced outputs
- Zone 2
- Phono input
- One extra audio input
- One extra 12v. trigger

It still does not have DVI switching (which won't be upgradable, BTW), and appears to have all the same software (on screen menus are identical). What am I missing? Does it have finer bass management (something I would welcome)? Better sound quality? Better internal components?

I guess I'm sort of stuck wondering why the 990 costs more than the 1070 since it does not even have an amp section. I've already scrapped the idea of purchasing Onkyo or Denon. They are all on the HDMI bandwaggon, and I've sort of settled on DVI (let's hope it fares better than Betamax and SACD, my last two loosing gambles). But DVI does limit my choices. Only the Marantz 8500 seems to be a viable alternative.

Any other DVI receiver/processor suggestions in the $800-1500 price range?

N. Abstentia
10-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Oddly enough, every single one of those features (plus the advantages of having a pre/pro) is why I'm going with the 990! I can't find another preamp with all those features and I really don't care about DVI up-conversion (it does do DVI switching but not upconversion)....is that even possible? It would have to have some sort of onboard analog to digital convertor which wouldn't be cheap..which is probably why they didn't include it. It has component upcoversion which is what I need.

Other than those features listed, the advantage of the 990 is the advantage of any other pre/pro. Instead of paying for a compromised integrated amp section that money is spent on better quality internal components. I also like the fact that the 990 has seperate crossovers for EACH channel. It's tailor made for a tweaker like myself :)

nightflier
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
I also like the fact that the 990 has seperate crossovers for EACH channel. It's tailor made for a tweaker like myself :)

N.,

This is one of the features I really liked about the HK DPR1001 that I sold. Are the crossover settings in 10Hz increments? (the Outlaw 1070 is in 20Hz. increments). Also, how low of a frequency will it take? (I'm trying to avoid using an ICBM).

As a side question what kind of amp are you using?

N. Abstentia
10-17-2005, 06:10 PM
You know, that's actually a good question and I never thought about it. This is straight from the manual:

"The model 990 allows you to set crossover points ranging from 40hz to 200hz for each of these speakers"

I never thought about what the increments would be, I guess I just assumed 10hz at a time.

Right now I'm using an Onkyo 898 receiver with a Rotel 3 channel amp for center & surrounds (front speakers are self powered). I do plan to replace that with a true pre/pro and the Outlaw is the leader of the pack right now because of it's features. Two things important to me are balanced outputs and 3 component video inputs and I havent't found another pre/pro anywhere near the price range with those two things. I always wanted the Anthem AVM30....but alas no DVI or HDMI. No I don't need it today, but you never know about tomorrow....plus the fact that it's around $2500...

The only thing I've found that I don't like about the Outlaw 990 is the fact that it will not allow you to map any video input to any audio input but that's not a big deal. I do switch it around with my Onkyo right now (for instance if I just want to watch TV while listening to an SACD) but I can deal without that if I have to.

nightflier
10-18-2005, 04:07 PM
I never thought about what the increments would be, I guess I just assumed 10hz at a time.

If the software is the same as the 1070, then it's 20Hz increments.

Two things important to me are balanced outputs and 3 component video inputs and I havent't found another pre/pro anywhere near the price range with those two things.

I haven't either. I like the Marantz 8500 but it doesn't have balanced outputs and is a receiver. It does have DVI, though.

I always wanted the Anthem AVM30....but alas no DVI or HDMI. No I don't need it today, but you never know about tomorrow....plus the fact that it's around $2500

For $2.5K I'd consider Parasound or Adcom, or even Carver/Sunfire. Not really hi-fi along the same lines as the $5K big boys, but plenty of power. I would dare say that Adcom's comparable product line is what keeps companies like Outlaw in the shadows. Their GTP-880 even has two 5.1 inputs, the only pre I've seen that has that.

The only thing I've found that I don't like about the Outlaw 990 is the fact that it will not allow you to map any video input to any audio input but that's not a big deal.

That's odd. Shouldn't it be possible to associate any audio input with any of the component or DVI inputs? My old Onkyo TX-SR601 had that malady where the 5.1 inputs were only assignable to the DVD player. Pissed me off enough to replace it and go with the HK1001, which also has independently assignable crossovers for each speaker to boot. If only it had had more than 65W of power...