My first TT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My first TT

Florian
10-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Well after pretty much completing the digital stage of my system with the fat TEAC VRDS Transport and the Wadia DAC i have decided to try some Analog stuff. So i took a Rega Planar 2 with a Rega Phono stage and tried it on the DIVA's and found it to be quite good. Nice smooth, natural color and more body on some of those old recordings. It picked up some subsonic frequencys which send some 18Hz rumbling from my bass panels (measured with the AudioNet).... so anyways since i only have 3 records so far i started easy to learn more from it. So i bought a Pro-Ject 1.2e with a Cambridge Audio 540p phonoe preamp with a subsonic filter. Together with a AudioTech system....I think its a good start! Let the learning beginn :p

-Flo

JohnMichael
10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Well after pretty much completing the digital stage of my system with the fat TEAC VRDS Transport and the Wadia DAC i have decided to try some Analog stuff. So i took a Rega Planar 2 with a Rega Phono stage and tried it on the DIVA's and found it to be quite good. Nice smooth, natural color and more body on some of those old recordings. It picked up some subsonic frequencys which send some 18Hz rumbling from my bass panels (measured with the AudioNet).... so anyways since i only have 3 records so far i started easy to learn more from it. So i bought a Pro-Ject 1.2e with a Cambridge Audio 540p phonoe preamp with a subsonic filter. Together with a AudioTech system....I think its a good start! Let the learning beginn :p

-Flo

Welcome to the world of vinyl. When you have true deep bass from your speakers it is easy to get acoustic feedback with a turntable. The subsonic filter should help. Which phono cartridge are you using? I like the Rega because of all the modifications to improve the sound. I rewired the tonearm and replaced the subplatter with a machined metal one. I also like the Ringmat mat for the Rega. I have not heard that model Pro-Ject but will be looking for your review.

BRANDONH
10-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Congrats Florian,
your going to love vinyl.
see this thread for online vinyl sites:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2798
several good ones listed!

Florian
10-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys!

Well Pro-Ject has received many recommendations as a good solid starter table. I bought a Audio Technica 95A with it, that i will use for a while. It got some good reviews (for its price) in some British magazines which describted it a tad bright which means that its properbly just right.

The DIVA play down to 18Hz and it picked up some subsonic info that was quite anoying when listening to it. But other then that, very nice.

This is the TT i bought

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7553932774&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:DE:31

And this is the phono pre i bought

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=28&Title=Azur+540P

poneal
10-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I haven't had a TT in about 30 years. I do still have some old albums but never really had a large collection. IIRC, I like the sound they gave. It reminds me of how it all started :-). And those 45rpm guys, wow what a memory. Enjoy and hang onto that bad boy. You got yourself a nice rig there so enjoy it and mainly just show that puppy off to friends and guests. Cheers, Paul

Florian
10-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks, i am sure i will enhance the analog rig until it gets to the same level as the digital setup. This will take a while tough.

:-)

Bernd
10-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Flo,

Welcome to Vinyl. You will be surprised how soon the analoge sound will surpass the digital one.
Lot's of music is issued on record and it grows all the time. Vinyl becomes very addictive and I hardley play any CDs anymore.
I made the big mistage in the 80s and fell for the marketing hype for CDs-"Perfect sound forever". And sold most of my 5000 albums to replace with CDs. What a mistake.
I am now very slowly crawling back up the Vinyl hill.I am over half way there.

With Vinyl you have much more variables to contain with, but when you get it right the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and you want to repeat that feeling again and again.First important tip is to have the TT proper isolated. Makes one hell of a difference.
I think a really good serious start would be the Michell Tecnodec. It is the first real step on the ladder.
Feel free to ask. I am pleased to tell you all I can.
Most of all Enjoy the ride.

Peace

Bernd

Bernd
10-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi Flo,

Just a quick note. If you really want to know what vinyl can do try and get a copy of "Eric Clapton-Back Home". Mine came yesterday and it is half speed mastered and pressed by RTI in california on 180g Vinyl. These discs are amazing. So quiet, dynamic and full of real detail that it is hard not to be moved. The songs arn't bad either.

Keep rocking

Bernd

vespoadaddy
10-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Yup, good 'software' makes all the difference.

I just bought Death Cab for Cutie 'PLANS' on vinyl, at their show in Mpls. It has a sticker that says '180 gram' on the plastic wrap. Meant nothing to me at the time.

It means something to me now! This is the best sounding vinyl I have ever experienced. Better than CD, IMHO. Wow.

I'll now be watching for 18o gram vinyl, especially at the merch tables. I paid $15. The local store wanted $25.

I guess Saddle Creek Records also releases most of their stuff on 180 gram vinyl.

Yummy!

jrhymeammo
10-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks, i am sure i will enhance the analog rig until it gets to the same level as the digital setup. This will take a while tough.

:-)

Whota hell is this kid? You like music well that's great, but you write "exept for black and house music. ". I think you better define exactly what you mean by Black music and expain well.

SlumpBuster
10-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Whota hell is this kid? You like music well that's great, but you write "exept for black and house music. ". I think you better define exactly what you mean by Black music and expain well.

I think your loosing something in the translation. "Black" music is a genre in Europe synonomous with "Urban" in the states. Stop flying and climb back on the handle.

Bernd
10-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi,
Just a word of caution. 180g does not mean fine sound-if you get the sound that's a bonus. I have many audiophile records that sound shocking,and many "ordinary pressings on thin vinyl" that sound absolutley devine. It is all down to the stamper,care taken in the transfer and recording.

Enjoy the music

Bernd

Bernd
10-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi,
Yes "black music" in Europe is the term used for Urban and dance music-it is in no way meant as a race issue just style of music.

Bernd

jrhymeammo
10-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I see, thanks for clarifying on this. Well, I'm now 'just" curious, is it a "Proper" term for Urban music, and the term has nothing to do with colour of the race? I'm trying to educate myself here and understand on the expense of others. Please don't hate Americans if I had misunderstood completely.

Bernd
10-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Hi,
Nobody should hate anybody-very counter productive and it shuts the doors to understanding.
I lived in many places all over Europe (and the US) so in Europe what I understand "black music" is: House,HipHop,Rap,Gangster etc. It can't be race based as Blues,Jazz etc is not thought of as Black music but as the name of the style of music. I guess there are many different races of people who do black music. I do not know anything about that style though.

Peace

Bernd

Florian
10-24-2005, 07:30 AM
Amazing how many times i can say that i have no problem with any person of any religion or color. I got called a racist, a nazi and tons of nasty words so far, its bloddy amazing. Bernd and the others that know me got it right, Black music here in europe is basically gangster rap or morons driving 100K plus cars rapping about how bad their life is. The rapper can be white, yellow, brown, purple or orange and noone here cares abou that. Here in europe and in germany are pretty much no racist or any kind of hatret anymore. After the second world war we keep a very very close eyes on those little guys and shut them down as soon as one opens his mouth. So if someone is looking for racism you might wanna turn your head towards the black majority who is currently without homes or food and no mayor assistence since the media has turned away from the now cold story and turned to the rich white folks in Florida. But dont get me started on that.

My term black music is not meant and never was meant as any kind of racist term. My political views are very much against any kind of discrimination of any kind. Unfortunalty most people defend themselves by attacking me on the past that germany has displayed which in my book is no worse or better then the things that happen in Afganistan, Iraq, Vietnam, Japan and Africa.

Back to my Turntable issue. The table and everything arived well and i spend some time setting it up. The first impressions where mixed to be honest. On some good recordings like

Ludwig van Beethhoven
Symphonie Nr.9
Symphonie Nr.8
by the Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Herbert Karajan and the pressing is from "Deutsche Grammophon"

the sound is very livelly and dynamic which a wide open stage which is very natural. There are some pops and craks here and there which are ok and dont bother me to much. On the other hand there are some recordings that are just plain horrible and cannot be listend to. Ofcourse its unfair to compare my digital setup which is very high resolution and dynamic to the entry level turntable. I am getting about 1500 records as a present in a week or so from a older gentlemen who has no more use for them, so after that i will try to move up the analog ladder. Properbly over Clearaudio with a Benz Mikro to something tubey like a Jolida or a audio research phono preamp. Still lots of work to do, but i have time.

Cheers Flo

Disclaimer: My top comments where not meant towards any person on this forum!

Bernd
10-24-2005, 07:43 AM
WOW-1500 Discs. Congratulations. What Style of music. Also may I advice that with so much software you might invest in something to clean the records. Not only will the records sound better it will also protect your stylus.
Keep us updated once you get them.
And well said on that silly race remark.

Take it easy and don't drink and spin

Bernd

GMichael
10-24-2005, 07:57 AM
You are getting 1500 records as a present from an older gentlemen? Dude, is there something you haven't told us yet?

Bernd
10-24-2005, 08:10 AM
I didn't want to be the first to ask that question.

Peace

Bernd

P.S. The B.O.T. is gone again. Any ideas?

GMichael
10-24-2005, 08:41 AM
WOW-1500 Discs. Congratulations. What Style of music. Also may I advice that with so much software you might invest in something to clean the records. Not only will the records sound better it will also protect your stylus.
Keep us updated once you get them.
And well said on that silly race remark.

Take it easy and don't drink and spin

Bernd

Way back when my turntable still had a working stylus, there used to be something that a lot of people put on their records to help protect them. It was some kind of lubricant that would make them last longer. Does this still exist? Or was it all just crap to begin with.

GMichael
10-24-2005, 08:45 AM
I didn't want to be the first to ask that question.

Peace

Bernd

P.S. The B.T.O. is gone again. Any ideas?

Same here. Getting cold too. Hope it comes out soon.
I dropped my remote and it shorted out in all the water. No idea where to get a new one. Nothing on Ebay either.

Florian
10-24-2005, 08:58 AM
You guys didn't know that i strip on birthday partys? :p

The guy is a customer, i teach people how to use their computer. And we bagan to talk about audio equipment and he said that he had a bunch in the garage. When he told me i could have them, i jumped. They are all mixed together, pretty much a bit of everything.

-Flo

GMichael
10-24-2005, 09:05 AM
My wife has a birthday coming up. I'll let her know that you're up for hire.

JohnMichael
10-24-2005, 09:09 AM
You guys didn't know that i strip on birthday partys? :p

The guy is a customer, i teach people how to use their computer. And we bagan to talk about audio equipment and he said that he had a bunch in the garage. When he told me i could have them, i jumped. They are all mixed together, pretty much a bit of everything.

-Flo

My birthday is in March.

Bernd
10-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Flo-Are you all booked up for x-mas?

Seriousley though-never put anything on the record. I use a VPI Record cleaning machine and even abused discs can sound decent. Only pays really when you smash the magic 1000.

Sorry about the remote I shall keep my eyes open and will sent the B.O.T. back

Peace Bernd

GMichael
10-24-2005, 09:16 AM
My birthday is in March.

Have you seen his pictures? If I was gonna change teams I'd put him on my list.

GMichael
10-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Flo-Are you all booked up for x-mas?

Seriousley though-never put anything on the record. I use a VPI Record cleaning machine and even abused discs can sound decent. Only pays really when you smash the magic 1000.

Sorry about the remote I shall keep my eyes open and will sent the B.T.O back

Peace Bernd

Thanks, ditto.

SlumpBuster
10-24-2005, 12:12 PM
A record shop down the street from me does appraisals and purchases of large collections. I was talking to the owner and he said alot of people think that their collection is worth something when it is just a pile of garbage. He will come out to their house and find dirt, water damage, mildew and bugs. "But I thought records were rare and valuable these days," they will invariably say. They don't even accept classical records anymore because of so many wild goose chases with no market for classical. Rock, jazz and blues are where the used record market is really at.

So Flo, it sounds like you already looked at the collection a bit, but take the advice offered and make sure the records are clean, even if with just a dry brush.

Also, bad recordings are notorious in vinyl. You get much less quality control than with CDs. I've only gotten one or two CD's over the years that had a manufacturing defect, but i average a dozen or so records per year with blatant manufacturing defects. That's just the bad pressings, off center holes, ect. Bad mastering and engineering is a whole different story.

JohnMichael
10-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Have you seen his pictures? If I was gonna change teams I'd put him on my list.

I was going to ask him if he had ever been to a leather bar called the Eagle. He looks familiar.

GMichael
10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
I was going to ask him if he had ever been to a leather bar called the Eagle. He looks familiar.

Is that on the west end?

Bernd
10-25-2005, 07:00 AM
A record shop down the street from me does appraisals and purchases of large collections. I was talking to the owner and he said alot of people think that their collection is worth something when it is just a pile of garbage. He will come out to their house and find dirt, water damage, mildew and bugs. "But I thought records were rare and valuable these days," they will invariably say. They don't even accept classical records anymore because of so many wild goose chases with no market for classical. Rock, jazz and blues are where the used record market is really at.

So Flo, it sounds like you already looked at the collection a bit, but take the advice offered and make sure the records are clean, even if with just a dry brush.

Also, bad recordings are notorious in vinyl. You get much less quality control than with CDs. I've only gotten one or two CD's over the years that had a manufacturing defect, but i average a dozen or so records per year with blatant manufacturing defects. That's just the bad pressings, off center holes, ect. Bad mastering and engineering is a whole different story.
Hi,
That's really good advice. There are lots of bad records out there, but many diamonds. Part of the fun I guess.

Peace

Bernd

jrhymeammo
11-01-2005, 12:22 PM
So this forum is good for learning something other than audio. Thanks :D

Amazing how many times i can say that i have no problem with any person of any religion or color. I got called a racist, a nazi and tons of nasty words so far, its bloddy amazing. Bernd and the others that know me got it right, Black music here in europe is basically gangster rap or morons driving 100K plus cars rapping about how bad their life is. The rapper can be white, yellow, brown, purple or orange and noone here cares abou that. Here in europe and in germany are pretty much no racist or any kind of hatret anymore. After the second world war we keep a very very close eyes on those little guys and shut them down as soon as one opens his mouth. So if someone is looking for racism you might wanna turn your head towards the black majority who is currently without homes or food and no mayor assistence since the media has turned away from the now cold story and turned to the rich white folks in Florida. But dont get me started on that.

My term black music is not meant and never was meant as any kind of racist term. My political views are very much against any kind of discrimination of any kind. Unfortunalty most people defend themselves by attacking me on the past that germany has displayed which in my book is no worse or better then the things that happen in Afganistan, Iraq, Vietnam, Japan and Africa.

Back to my Turntable issue. The table and everything arived well and i spend some time setting it up. The first impressions where mixed to be honest. On some good recordings like

Ludwig van Beethhoven
Symphonie Nr.9
Symphonie Nr.8
by the Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Herbert Karajan and the pressing is from "Deutsche Grammophon"

the sound is very livelly and dynamic which a wide open stage which is very natural. There are some pops and craks here and there which are ok and dont bother me to much. On the other hand there are some recordings that are just plain horrible and cannot be listend to. Ofcourse its unfair to compare my digital setup which is very high resolution and dynamic to the entry level turntable. I am getting about 1500 records as a present in a week or so from a older gentlemen who has no more use for them, so after that i will try to move up the analog ladder. Properbly over Clearaudio with a Benz Mikro to something tubey like a Jolida or a audio research phono preamp. Still lots of work to do, but i have time.

Cheers Flo

Disclaimer: My top comments where not meant towards any person on this forum!