Help with Set Up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Set Up

abajorek
10-14-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi,

I just recieved a Samsung HT-SK6 home theater system with Klipsch Quintet II speakers and KSW-10 sub for a gift and I need help setting it up in my small apartment. I have no clue where to put the sattelite speakers...

I know the conditions aren't favorable for a home theater system in this setup, but I dont have much of a choice - we've tried other setups with the furnature and frankly this is the only one that works.

Let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks!

http://www.people.iup.edu/hsyk/apt.bmp

L.J.
10-14-2005, 06:34 AM
Hi,

I just recieved a Samsung HT-SK6 home theater system with Klipsch Quintet II speakers and KSW-10 sub for a gift and I need help setting it up in my small apartment. I have no clue where to put the sattelite speakers...

I know the conditions aren't favorable for a home theater system in this setup, but I dont have much of a choice - we've tried other setups with the furnature and frankly this is the only one that works.

Let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks!

http://www.people.iup.edu/hsyk/apt.bmp

I'm sure others will be along with some good suggestions, but I can give you a couple of good articles to read on speaker placement. You'll also find some tips on corner placement if you end up having to go that route. The two articles are below.

Article 1 (http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/loudspeakers/hometheaterspeakerlayout.php)

Article 2 (http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html)

paul_pci
10-14-2005, 07:21 AM
First, why is you TV not flush along the 8' wall. That would allow for a better arrangement of speakers.

abajorek
10-14-2005, 07:59 AM
First, why is you TV not flush along the 8' wall. That would allow for a better arrangement of speakers.

I tried that, however, my roomates and I thought it was too cumbersome and cuts off viewing area for 1/3 the seating arrangements. We also like to watch TV while in the kitchen, so a diagonal set up permits viewing throughout the entire room...

I just wish I could set up some type of 90 degree viewing angle with the couches...

GMichael
10-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Can you put the TV near the door, flat against that wall?

abajorek
10-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Can you put the TV near the door, flat against that wall?

I could, but that would also cause the same problem with cutting of viewing area for the last 1.5 cushons on the long couch...

GMichael
10-14-2005, 08:20 AM
I could, but that would also cause the same problem with cutting of viewing area for the last 1.5 cushons on the long couch...

Have you tried turning the whole set-up 90 to the left and put the TV in the lower left corner?

paul_pci
10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Priorities+Reality=what you've got.

GMichael
10-14-2005, 12:42 PM
OK, if this is what there is I'll give it a try until someone who knows better comes along. I'll start with the easy one first.
Put your center speaker ontop of your TV.
Try the mains on either side of the TV. I'd point the left one at the right couch and the left one at the lower couch. This way the speaker closest to where you are sitting is facing a little away from you and the speaker farthest away will be pointing straight at you. This should give you a bigger sweet spot.
I don't see a good place for the surounds other than on stands behind the couches. Again I'd point them at the far couch for the same reasons.
You got rears? Oh G.d! Try the far wall.
Do you have an auto set-up with your receiver? If not you're going to need a meter to check levels.

Tough room.

jamison162
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Put the TV IN THE KITCHEN!

Lensman
10-29-2005, 10:03 PM
With small satellites, you have a wider range of placement options. But it's difficult to advise a layout without knowing more details about your space. What are the dimensions for the other walls? Where are other doors (to bathroom, bedrooms, etc.) located? Where are windows located and how wide are they? Where is the kitchen table placed? How wide are your sofas? Is there any other large pieces of furniture in the room?

hermann_giron
10-30-2005, 05:27 AM
if pedestals or stands behind the couch dont work or are cumbersome, try placing the surrounds a bit behind the couches, mounted from the ceiling, pointing downward.

the quintet speakers are small and not very heavy, your ceiling tile should hold them up.

this setup will not be optimal for your soundfield, but can be a good compromise for your room.