Teac Master Deck Z-7000 or Nakamichi Dragon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Teac Master Deck Z-7000 or Nakamichi Dragon

albacora14
10-14-2005, 03:50 AM
I want to buy the Dragon, I was owner of Teac Z-7000, fantastic masterpiece, but I would like to comeback to analag recording.

A few years ago I saw one personally, but never working...

Can you tell me guys any experince with one of these high and beautyful machines, the pros and cons or was the best?
Does it really worth it the Dragon?

Garrardman
10-21-2005, 02:49 AM
I have not experienced one, unfortunately, but don't forget that in purely sound quality terms, the best Nakamichi deck was the CR-7E, not the Dragon - something which Nakamichi themselves admitted.

JoeE SP9
10-21-2005, 03:22 AM
You can see from my equipment list how I feel about Nak's. I could have bought a Dragon but decided on the ZX-7. I am not sorry I bought the ZX-7.http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

albacora14
10-23-2005, 09:31 PM
hello, That's the Nak, wicht is autoreversible and manual or automitic Autoazimuth?

I have not experienced one, unfortunately, but don't forget that in purely sound quality terms, the best Nakamichi deck was the CR-7E, not the Dragon - something which Nakamichi themselves admitted.

albacora14
10-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Terrific equipment from you!!
I still have my TDK MAX-G, SAX90, SA90, MAR-X90 and sony SSMM90, few are still in pack other have benn recorded, but I not have the my Teac Z-7000 Tape deck longer...

I have a Harman Kardon TD-4600 (with dolby S, bias, etc) , actually it's more actual to Fragon and the Teac, but I want something sophisticaded and high end finish.

I'm still wondering why the tapes (in a fine deck) sounds so clear, crsip and good..

I saw a few High position tapes from Nakamichi are superior from those?

You can see from my equipment list how I feel about Nak's. I could have bought a Dragon but decided on the ZX-7. I am not sorry I bought the ZX-7.http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

JoeE SP9
10-24-2005, 07:56 AM
Terrific equipment from you!!
I still have my TDK MAX-G, SAX90, SA90, MAR-X90 and sony SSMM90, few are still in pack other have benn recorded, but I not have the my Teac Z-7000 Tape deck longer...

I have a Harman Kardon TD-4600 (with dolby S, bias, etc) , actually it's more actual to Fragon and the Teac, but I want something sophisticaded and high end finish.

I'm still wondering why the tapes (in a fine deck) sounds so clear, crsip and good..

I saw a few High position tapes from Nakamichi are superior from those?Like you I have a lot of the same high quality cassettes. I even have a couple of TDK MA-R's. They are the ones with the metal spine and screwed on front and rear plates. Good tapes played back on good equipment will always sound good. Tapes made on a Nak will always sound better on a Nak. The Eq curve that Nak used was different from what everyone else used. Yes the dragon had continuous automatic azimuth adjustment. My ZX-7 has manual adjustment.

albacora14
10-24-2005, 05:22 PM
I have 2 of them too, the MA-R's, I don't if you saw the sony super metal master personally was ceramic composite shell if you drop it will broke..
The azimuth system it's so from Nak, I saw one day Nakamichi cassette car player with this system too.
my ex-Master tape, I miss it so much..

Like you I have a lot of the same high quality cassettes. I even have a couple of TDK MA-R's. They are the ones with the metal spine and screwed on front and rear plates. Good tapes played back on good equipment will always sound good. Tapes made on a Nak will always sound better on a Nak. The Eq curve that Nak used was different from what everyone else used. Yes the dragon had continuous automatic azimuth adjustment. My ZX-7 has manual adjustment. :(

JoeE SP9
10-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I have 2 of them too, the MA-R's, I don't if you saw the sony super metal master personally was ceramic composite shell if you drop it will broke..
The azimuth system it's so from Nak, I saw one day Nakamichi cassette car player with this system too.
my ex-Master tape, I miss it so much..

:(
I have seen those Sony ceramic cassettes. I never bought one. Nice picture of your deck. There was/is a manufacturer that made decks with what they called play trim. I'm not sure if it was azimuth adjustment or eq tweaking. I don't remember who it was.http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

albacora14
10-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the response
12 years ago, Pionner was manufatured one or two tape decks with an azimuth alignment, they called "flex"
Did you seen and hear the Nakamichi RX 505 or 202?
Joe, I am so impresive about your equipments, high end audio it's almost $50.000.

What it is?:

VPI HW19jr
Rega RB300
2 modified Hafler DH200 (what you modified on those amps?)
2 radically modified Dynaco MK3's

PS: My Mom lived in Philadelphia, she hates the audio

I have seen those Sony ceramic cassettes. I never bought one. Nice picture of your deck. There was/is a manufacturer that made decks with what they called play trim. I'm not sure if it was azimuth adjustment or eq tweaking. I don't remember who it was.http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

JoeE SP9
10-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the response
12 years ago, Pionner was manufatured one or two tape decks with an azimuth alignment, they called "flex"
Did you seen and hear the Nakamichi RX 505 or 202?
Joe, I am so impresive about your equipments, high end audio it's almost $50.000.

What it is?:

VPI HW19jr
Rega RB300
2 modified Hafler DH200 (what you modified on those amps?)
2 radically modified Dynaco MK3's

PS: My Mom lived in Philadelphia, she hates the audioI was not all that impressed by the RX models.
The VPI is my turntable. It is the lower end of the VPI line. I have over the years upgraded it to where it is almost a VPI HW 19.
The Rega RB300 is my tonearm
The Hafler's were modified following several articles I read in the Audio Amateur years ago. The mods are called POOGE. Progressive Optimization Of Generic Equipment.
The Adcom is about 80% of the way to the same end.
I replaced all the resistors with Vishay 1%
I replaced all the capacitors with Multicap's, Solen's and Musicap's
I replaced the power supply diodes with fast diodes and doubled the power supply capacitence.
Dyna MK3's are tube amps using a pair of 6550 output tubes. The only thing remaining from the original amps are the output tubes, transformers and chassis. I built a new input/driver stage and a solid state rectification stage.
I have bought a lot of things used. My ARC SP9 was purchased used. I have been at this hobby a long time. I bought my first piece of equipment in 1967.
My brother and I put a reasonable system together for my Mom. She sometimes plays it quite loud.http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

albacora14
10-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Geez!, you know electronics a lot..!!
I checked it on the web your Rega RB300 and the VPI HW 19...have an tube amplifier deserve more respect I always wanted to hear in one of these in cojunction with the turntable, tornearm and high quality vinyl.

I don't know anyone (in my country) who uses and HIGH END turntable and tube, just regular and affordable turntables and transistor amps.

Must be it more deep, natural, spatial and stereo ( in comparison to an traditional amp)

1.Can you described that sound?
2. have you comparison the transistor amp vs. tube amp using the same source of music?

Still.. youre audio it's around $30.000

I was not all that impressed by the RX models.
The VPI is my turntable. It is the lower end of the VPI line. I have over the years upgraded it to where it is almost a VPI HW 19.
The Rega RB300 is my tonearm
The Hafler's were modified following several articles I read in the Audio Amateur years ago. The mods are called POOGE. Progressive Optimization Of Generic Equipment.
The Adcom is about 80% of the way to the same end.
I replaced all the resistors with Vishay 1%
I replaced all the capacitors with Multicap's, Solen's and Musicap's
I replaced the power supply diodes with fast diodes and doubled the power supply capacitence.
Dyna MK3's are tube amps using a pair of 6550 output tubes. The only thing remaining from the original amps are the output tubes, transformers and chassis. I built a new input/driver stage and a solid state rectification stage.
I have bought a lot of things used. My ARC SP9 was purchased used. I have been at this hobby a long time. I bought my first piece of equipment in 1967.
My brother and I put a reasonable system together for my Mom. She sometimes plays it quite loud.http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

JoeE SP9
10-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Geez!, you know electronics a lot..!!
I checked it on the web your Rega RB300 and the VPI HW 19...have an tube amplifier deserve more respect I always wanted to hear in one of these in cojunction with the turntable, tornearm and high quality vinyl.

I don't know anyone (in my country) who uses and HIGH END turntable and tube, just regular and affordable turntables and transistor amps.

Must be it more deep, natural, spatial and stereo ( in comparison to an traditional amp)

1.Can you described that sound?
2. have you comparison the transistor amp vs. tube amp using the same source of music?

Still.. youre audio it's around $30.000I have a BS in Electrical Engineering. Tubes just sound better to me. I know there are a lot of people on this site who think tubes are obsolete technology. Tubes and electrostatic speakers seem to be a match made in heaven. The all important midrange is where tubes seem to have depth and a bloom when dynamics are required that transistors don't. This is all subjective and those who are believers in ABX testing will say that I'm imagining things. So be it. I do use solid state on my woofers. Output transformers that do bass as well as transistors are few and far between (expensive). I am looking at some OTL tube amps. They are relatively expensive also. They do get away from output transformers. I have enough gear either in use or in one of my closets to do all kinds of comparisons. I always come back to the tubes for my preamp and to power my electrostatic panels. By the way, my VPI turntable is at the lower end of high end turntables. The top of the line VPI is the TNT at about $6,000. Check out some of the higher end turntables and tonearms at www.needledoctor.com (http://www.needledoctor.com/). Finally, I must add that to my ears with my rig, vinyl walks all over CD's. I know that last statement will get lots of response. The only thing that matters with a system is how it sounds. The amount of money spent is really not the issue. Thats why my motto is "The ears decide".http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

albacora14
10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Dear Joe, sorry for the rush:
please help, I posted a new one for My Nakamichi DVD-10, on the section Home theater

I don't where in USA can I find this laser pick up module. I wrote to:
http://www.tapelectronics.com/Chameleon/tapelectronics/home.page

My repairman says that its only the lens, but I think it sells only the module. I am so sad about, o love my Nak DVD-10, again give me a hand..

Thanks
Guillermo Cuesta

-------
My Nakamichi DVD-10 tried to load a disc or DVD for a few moments, later the display says "no disc", the repairman says that I need the Laser Pick Up module.

The On screen menu display works and other function are ok.

There is a generic laser pick up for my Nakamichi DVD-10, where can I find it?

Please help me

1h1
11-30-2005, 01:54 AM

FYI,
PlayTrim was used by two companies (that I know of) NAD and Yamaha. It's a type of adjustable equalization circuit, I'm not sure how it works but it's supposed to be able to detect abnormal dropoff of high frequencies and automatically boost certain frequencies to compensate for things like azimuth alignment between different cassette decks and tapes that may have deteriorated over time. The level of enhancement can be selected via continuously-variable knob.
It works as advertised on my Yamaha (I have the KX-300U), I don't know why it never really caught on.

veganaudio
12-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I want to buy the Dragon, I was owner of Teac Z-7000, fantastic masterpiece, but I would like to comeback to analag recording.

A few years ago I saw one personally, but never working...

Can you tell me guys any experince with one of these high and beautyful machines, the pros and cons or was the best?
Does it really worth it the Dragon?

I hear you........I have a woderful AKAI tape deck that is a wonderful piece of electronics...at its time was top of the line and has all the nice controls to play around while recording...I HATE recording with pressing only one button and leave the room to do the laundry........Does digital equipment come with all the "toy buttons" in recorders today?

albacora14
12-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Yes I hate those, I loved stay in front of the Teac-Z-7000, watching, checking monitoring the audio, the levels, if I hear a pick I down the bias or levels while recording.

Sometimes I little trick, use a scoth tape on the holes of the metal tape, to "cheat" the deck, set the deck on Cro2 II on Dolby B. I get I and superb crisp frequency response, when I played back again on his native Metal mode, the trick works better if you reproduce on DOLBY C.

I hear you........I have a woderful AKAI tape deck that is a wonderful piece of electronics...at its time was top of the line and has all the nice controls to play around while recording...I HATE recording with pressing only one button and leave the room to do the laundry........Does digital equipment come with all the "toy buttons" in recorders today?