I'm finally pulling the trigger! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally pulling the trigger!

Duds
10-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, I'm picking up my Von Schweikert VR-1's Saturday!!! Can't wait to get these beauties home and spend some quality time with them. I'm trying to decide on what song to play first!!

GMichael
10-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Nice choice. Many hours of listening bliss await you.

Duds
10-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Thank you!! The way the weather has been here in upstate NY, i'll be more than happy enjoying some good beer and music Saturday night!

Nice choice. Many hours of listening bliss await you.

Jimmy C
10-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm picking up my Von Schweikert VR-1's Saturday!!! Can't wait to get these beauties home and spend some quality time with them. I'm trying to decide on what song to play first!!

...on your new toy(s)!

Be sure to report back on the good and bad aspects from this speaker. By all accounts, there will w-a-y more positives.

I have a fairly local dealer here on the Island for V.S., but haven't made it there yet. Did you hear 'em, or bite the bullet and just order them?

Good luck and have fun.

P.S. Yes, the weather sux! I haven't worked in a week, and am getting very lazy :^(

Duds
10-13-2005, 12:35 PM
I'll definitely give my thoughts on them!!!

I am buying them without hearing them first. This is usually a no-no, but I can return them for a full refund if I dont like them, so I can't beat that. Plus I'm getting an amazing price on them, so I think its a win-win for me.

This weather is depressing~!

...on your new toy(s)!

Be sure to report back on the good and bad aspects from this speaker. By all accounts, there will w-a-y more positives.

I have a fairly local dealer here on the Island for V.S., but haven't made it there yet. Did you hear 'em, or bite the bullet and just order them?

Good luck and have fun.

P.S. Yes, the weather sux! I haven't worked in a week, and am getting very lazy :^(

GMichael
10-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Thank you!! The way the weather has been here in upstate NY, i'll be more than happy enjoying some good beer and music Saturday night!

We needed the rain. But all at once? I have two sump pumps running 24-7 and still have water downstairs.

Duds
10-13-2005, 12:47 PM
man that sucks. as of this morning, mine still hadn't kicked on yet. I'm betting when I get home tonight it will be running.

We needed the rain. But all at once? I have two sump pumps running 24-7 and still have water downstairs.

GMichael
10-13-2005, 12:53 PM
man that sucks. as of this morning, mine still hadn't kicked on yet. I'm betting when I get home tonight it will be running.

If you were to see this house you would never guess that we'd get flooding. We are at the very top of a big hill. But the house was built wrong. Absolutely no drainage at all. Oh well, I'm moving next spring. The owner will have to deal with it.

slate1
10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
You're going to love them... give them some time to "break in" though - took mine about 50 hours to open up and then at about 3-400 hours they really started to shine. They are the one thing in my system that has remained constant for the last two years. The bass is astounding - deep, clear, and quick!

Move them about 8' apart and about 2' from the rear wall and facing straight out - don't toe them in. I know it sounds odd, but these things image the best when firing straight out. Search Audio Asylum for tons of info on placement. Look forward to hearing what you think of them.

Jim Clark
10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Congrats, I'm actually thinking about grabbing a set for myself to use as rears. I'm currently running my AR DIY's back there with great results but I know it could be better. What finish did you chose?

Have fun,
jc

topspeed
10-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Congrats! Gotta agree with Slate, no toe-in with the VR-1's. Their ability to fill your room combined with an enormous sweet spot is astonishing. Without question, the best monitor I've heard under $2.5k. Enjoy!

BTW, what are you driving them with?

Duds
10-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Hey Slate, thanks for the info, very helpful!!! I was wondering about toe-in, now i know!!

You're going to love them... give them some time to "break in" though - took mine about 50 hours to open up and then at about 3-400 hours they really started to shine. They are the one thing in my system that has remained constant for the last two years. The bass is astounding - deep, clear, and quick!

Move them about 8' apart and about 2' from the rear wall and facing straight out - don't toe them in. I know it sounds odd, but these things image the best when firing straight out. Search Audio Asylum for tons of info on placement. Look forward to hearing what you think of them.

Duds
10-14-2005, 04:10 AM
I went with the African Hazelwood, loved the look of it!!!

Congrats, I'm actually thinking about grabbing a set for myself to use as rears. I'm currently running my AR DIY's back there with great results but I know it could be better. What finish did you chose?

Have fun,
jc

Duds
10-14-2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks Speed!! I really cant wait to hear them!!

For now I'll be using a Marantz SR-7000. In some of my past posts, I was concerned about driving them with the Marantz, but a few here, along with the owner of the store I am buying them at, said it woudn't be a problem. Granted, I'm sure they would benefit from an upgrade in that area, but that will have to wait for a little bit :)

Congrats! Gotta agree with Slate, no toe-in with the VR-1's. Their ability to fill your room combined with an enormous sweet spot is astonishing. Without question, the best monitor I've heard under $2.5k. Enjoy!

BTW, what are you driving them with?

topspeed
10-14-2005, 09:31 AM
For now I'll be using a Marantz SR-7000. In some of my past posts, I was concerned about driving them with the Marantz, but a few here, along with the owner of the store I am buying them at, said it woudn't be a problem. Granted, I'm sure they would benefit from an upgrade in that area, but that will have to wait for a little bit :)
Cool Beans. I drive mine, also African Hazelwood ;), with a vintage Marantz 2230 and they sound wonderful. I've also hooked them up to my main rig and driven them with the 3803 and the HCA2. One of the VR1's best qualities is that while revealing, they aren't so clinical as to exacerbate upstream deficiencies. While they benefit from better front ends, they won't sacrifice the music on the alter of "hi-fi," if you know what I mean. I've said it many times, the best word for these speakers is "fun!" Enjoy!

slate1
10-14-2005, 09:35 AM
One of the VR1's best qualities is that while revealing, they aren't so clinical as to exacerbate upstream deficiencies.

This is one of the things I love about these monitors. They are rather revealing but remain musical at all costs. This is a quality that I've not found in any other monitor I've tried at any price.

Modern day Marantz gear is actually pretty damned good - you should be fine.

African Hazelwood here too! :D

topspeed
10-14-2005, 09:40 AM
This is one of the things I love about these monitors. They are rather revealing but remain musical at all costs. This is a quality that I've not found in any other monitor I've tried at any price.

Of course, a Panache front end doesn't hurt either, eh? :D

Duds
10-14-2005, 09:47 AM
many thanks to Slate and Speed!! Now I really cant wait to listen to them!!

Sounds like the African Hazelwood is a popular choice!!

Modern day Marantz gear is actually pretty damned good - you should be fine.

Duds
10-14-2005, 10:07 AM
or the VS sub?

Cool Beans. I drive mine, also African Hazelwood ;), with a vintage Marantz 2230 and they sound wonderful. I've also hooked them up to my main rig and driven them with the 3803 and the HCA2. One of the VR1's best qualities is that while revealing, they aren't so clinical as to exacerbate upstream deficiencies. While they benefit from better front ends, they won't sacrifice the music on the alter of "hi-fi," if you know what I mean. I've said it many times, the best word for these speakers is "fun!" Enjoy!

topspeed
10-14-2005, 11:35 AM
No, but I've heard both. The LCR15 is a fabulous speaker, better than the VR1 in many respects. It is an actual left/center/right speaker, not just some label thrown on a cc. It sports the same wide dispersion as the VR1's, but with more bass.

The sub is ridiculously heavy for its petite size. It sports (if memory serves) a long throw 8" woofer that must have God's own magnet and basket on it, because lifting the damn thing will give you a hernia. Output is very impressive; strong, deep, clean, and fast. I liked it a lot, just not for the price. I'm not a big bass guy anyway, but I do think there are better values to be had. The VRS just didn't strike me as the screaming bargain the VR1 or LCR15 did. Break in your VR1's for a while before you decide whether you need a sub. Unless you listen to a lot of large scale orchestral music, I doubt you'll miss the sub.

Duds
10-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Interesting info. I'm not a big bass fan either, and from what I hear I think the VR's will provide plenty for what I need. Would definitely like to get the LCR sometime down the long road... :)

No, but I've heard both. The LCR15 is a fabulous speaker, better than the VR1 in many respects. It is an actual left/center/right speaker, not just some label thrown on a cc. It sports the same wide dispersion as the VR1's, but with more bass.

The sub is ridiculously heavy for its petite size. It sports (if memory serves) a long throw 8" woofer that must have God's own magnet and basket on it, because lifting the damn thing will give you a hernia. Output is very impressive; strong, deep, clean, and fast. I liked it a lot, just not for the price. I'm not a big bass guy anyway, but I do think there are better values to be had. The VRS just didn't strike me as the screaming bargain the VR1 or LCR15 did. Break in your VR1's for a while before you decide whether you need a sub. Unless you listen to a lot of large scale orchestral music, I doubt you'll miss the sub.

thepogue
10-14-2005, 11:50 AM
two suggestions...

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (they DO mkae great beer, right here in the ole US!)

Steely Dan - Asia

you got some great speaks there...enjoy the VS!!!

Peace, Pogue

Duds
10-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Two great suggestions!! I wish the Sam Adams winter lager was out though, that is a damn good beer too!!

two suggestions...

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (they DO mkae great beer, right here in the ole US!)

Steely Dan - Asia

you got some great speaks there...enjoy the VS!!!

Peace, Pogue

Jim Clark
10-14-2005, 01:48 PM
I've got the LCR15 and am naturally using it as a center channel. There was a massive calibration adustment needed when swaping it with the Klipsch RC 3. It's a fairly petite center channel speaker compared to most on the market. My dialogue comes in crystal clear but more than that, I now have front soundstage that's a lot more coherent then before. In fairness to the demoted Klipsch set up, the actual matching center for my mains was a KV -1. Good luck finding one of those, which is why I went witht he RC3. At any rate, I had read several concerns that the LCR 15 was somewhat lacking when paired with the VR4 jr's. In size it most certainly seems inadequate and once that get's in your brain it's all over. I still need to make some adjustments to the angle of the speaker but once that's done I expect it perform most admirably.

Oh, and yes...African Hazelwood! Excellent choice.

jc

topspeed
10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Hey Jim,

How 'bout an update on those jr's. Did you get it straightened out with the shipping co?

Jim Clark
10-15-2005, 03:43 AM
Hey Jim,

How 'bout an update on those jr's. Did you get it straightened out with the shipping co?

Yeah, I've had the speaks for about 2 weeks now. I went back to the KC dist. center and asked them to check one more time. The difference this time was I got a person who actually gave a damn. After they couldn't be found on premesis he got on the PC and started checking all the relevevant categories (and some not so relevant) for unclaimed freight. When that didn't turn up anything he got on the phone. After I told him where they came from he simply called there and sure enough it was sitting there, marked to be returned to the sender the next day. He made sure it made the plane that night and was marked "do not bump", fearing it wouldn't make the cut since it was so large. Two days later it was delivered, though it was marked for me to come pick it up. At that point DHL started claiming it was never lost, just delayed due to hurricane logistics. Yeah, Katrina wipped Connecticut. Since it was shipped via ground they said their delivery was within specs (two weeks late, plus lost). They must really think I'm stupid. I wonder what tipped them?

I sent my check to cover my half of the shipping to the dealer. After that I sent an email to Kevin At VSA explaining the situation. I hope the dealer doesn't get the line yanked as the result of my posts but you never know. I'm planning on calling him in the next couple of days and see what happened.

FWIW, I still haven't heard a word from my local dealer about the Dynaudio Focus. I am still waiting...

I'll review them after another 100 hours of break in. The problem is that I have so much new gear in the chain that it's tough deciding what part is responsible for what.

Regards,
jc