The Machinist and other rentals [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Machinist and other rentals

Kam
10-13-2005, 08:30 AM
The Machinist - highly reccomended. story of a man who hasnt slept in over a year, why he hasnt, what happens to him, and the games his own mind plays on him to reveal the reason why. christian bale is excellent in it and what is even more amazing is his physical transformation and what is EVEN MORE amazing was that he did batman right after this movie and went from 120 to 220 (and am not talking medium format film sizes!). one of my fav actors now, have to go back and watch empire of the sun and american psycho. he absoltely carries this movie and it hinges on his performance entirely, which, imo, he nailed.

Sunset Boulevard - billy wilder at the top of his game. didnt win best picture (same year as all about eve) but a great movie that helped define film noir. and the origin of the 'i'm ready for my closeup mr. deville' which is faaaaaar more creepy than how people actually use it. great characters and stroy structure. the narrator within the film telling it all via flashback to lead you full circle to where you began.

Kontroll - winner of the audience award at cannes last year, a film shot entirely underground at the hungarian subway system. follows the story of one ticket checker and his crew as they meet the weirdest characters on the subway. hungary has an honor system with their subway, and the ticket checkers come on after the fact to ask people if they've paid or if they have a pass. there's every excuse in the book given as most passengers appear to think its their right to ride for free. there's also a strange girl i na bear costume and an almost unseen character who goes around pushing people infront of the trains and how the three are interconnected. there is one incredibly chilling scene that (i think?) is a dream sequence, but if anyone has seen it, please let me know, dont want to put any spoilers because it is defn worth seeing.

City of God - the brazilian film that got all rave reviews. i am right up there with them. incredible film. very disturbing to see the life going on in the slums of the city of god. excellent movie and incredibly scary as the level of violence that is standard amongst kids. highly reccomended.

The Third Man - another old classic that helped define the film noir genre. i havent seen this one in over a decade, so figured it was time to refresh my memory. and.. was better than i remembered it, or maybe nostalgia or just my appreciation for its impact on the genre of film in general made me just like it more, but overall an incredible film, great intrigue and a nice lil appearance by orson towards the end of the movie. another highly reccomended movie. doesn't get as much fanfare as others of its time (ala citizan kane) but an awesome movie nonetheless.

peace
k2

dean_martin
10-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Looks like a nice selection - not a loser in the bunch. I've seen parts of American Psycho at various times on premium channels. Bale played his character perfectly. He was very wry amongst co-workers and friends, just a little quirky but not too much then quite bizarre in one-on-one encounters. I'll have to check out The Machinist.

Sunset Blvd is one of those timeless classics. In my bachelor days this is one of a handfull that I would watch at bedtime. (Now I get a grunt and "turn that off" - no latenight tv unless I go to the sofa.)

I've seen City of God twice. There aren't too many movies that stand out from recent schlock, but this one does.

I was tempted to pick up The Third Man last Christmas, but it was an expensive special edition package priced at $33. (I was using a gift card so I wasn't shopping around for best price.) One of these days...

I'll keep a look out for Kontroll. Sounds interesting.

PS - did you score a copy of Pinocchio 964? I've only seen the trailer I mentioned in an early thread. I'd like to hear your take if you get a chance to see it.

eisforelectronic
10-13-2005, 01:15 PM
hmm... I've had the "Machnist" from Netflix sitting on the floor in front of the tv for almost 2 weeks now. Maybe I'll actually watch it today.

Kam
10-14-2005, 05:54 AM
Looks like a nice selection - not a loser in the bunch. I've seen parts of American Psycho at various times on premium channels. Bale played his character perfectly. He was very wry amongst co-workers and friends, just a little quirky but not too much then quite bizarre in one-on-one encounters. I'll have to check out The Machinist.

Sunset Blvd is one of those timeless classics. In my bachelor days this is one of a handfull that I would watch at bedtime. (Now I get a grunt and "turn that off" - no latenight tv unless I go to the sofa.)

I've seen City of God twice. There aren't too many movies that stand out from recent schlock, but this one does.

I was tempted to pick up The Third Man last Christmas, but it was an expensive special edition package priced at $33. (I was using a gift card so I wasn't shopping around for best price.) One of these days...

I'll keep a look out for Kontroll. Sounds interesting.

PS - did you score a copy of Pinocchio 964? I've only seen the trailer I mentioned in an early thread. I'd like to hear your take if you get a chance to see it.

I did!! it's on my netflix queue. Right after M, The Treasure of the Sierre Madre, and The Searchers. I should get to it next week and will post a review. (followed by samurai assassin and Infernal Affairs, haha, how's that for a genre/variety mix up). that'll be an interesting week of movies!