Thoughts on the newest ipod?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the newest ipod??

audiobill
10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm about to buy the new one, or the 4th gen one in the next week.

The newest one is supposed to be slimmer and lighter.

Your thoughts/ides/suggestions,

Bill

Dusty Chalk
10-12-2005, 04:35 PM
If you wait long enough, they'll have one that you can embed in your bloodstream.

audiobill
10-12-2005, 05:56 PM
If jumping in, Dust.

Can't put it off any longer.

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
If jumping in, Dust.

Can't put it off any longer.

How much memory are you looking at? I have no idea about the generation thing. Mine's less than a year old and it's already a dinosaur, I think.

Remember, try to find an open box one if you can. You'll save 10% - 15%. Although if you're looking at the latest and greatest model, an open one might be hard to find.

Good luck!

newtrix1
10-13-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm about to buy the new one, or the 4th gen one in the next week.

The newest one is supposed to be slimmer and lighter.

Your thoughts/ides/suggestions,

Bill

My son wants an i-Pod for his birthday (next month) and I saw the new Nano recently at Best Buy. I asked the salesman if it directly interfaced with all the pre-existing peripherals that are out on the market for the Mini, and he said no it won't!? :confused: I have not verified this, but to me, that would be a major mistake on Apples part. Can anyone here shed any light on this issue?

Mr MidFi
10-13-2005, 05:25 AM
A few points...

1. I don't think it will take long for the peripherals market to catch up with anything Apple is doing these days. The Nano is the coolest device I've seen in this category, ever. At some point, they'll have to increase the storage. But I'm not sure how long it will take before that happens.

2. About the newest players, with video capability, announced yesterday...they're not altogether different from the preceding full-size models, from what I've seen. 30 gigs for $299, with full-motion video screen and not just full-color. Why not?

3. I, for one, have no desire to watch anything on a 2.5-inch screen. But that's me.

4. This is an evolutionary step. The hardware isn't the big deal. Video content on demand thru your computer...that's the big deal. I've been waiting 10 years for that. Why should I have to set my VCR or program a DVR to record a show so I won't miss it? It should just BE THERE someplace for me to grab and watch, whenever and however I want it.

Mike
10-13-2005, 08:34 AM
I like the look and feel of the latest nano and the 4 gig size (about 1000 tracks) is fine by me but I'm holding off to get one until they get those battery and cracking screen issues sorted, I reckon after Christmas should do it.

From what I've read soundwise I think some of the other mp3 players from Creative can match them and they are cheaper, but the styling of the nano is one of a kind.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
10-13-2005, 09:41 AM
From what I've read soundwise I think some of the other mp3 players from Creative can match them and they are cheaper, but the styling of the nano is one of a kind.

Cheers
Mike

I looked into the Creative players last year. I was pretty much sold on buying a Zen...until I started looking at accessories. Unless they've added some new products in the last year, and they very well may have...they lost big points in this department. I ended up with the iPod because I could get all of the accessories that I wanted, some of which were not available on the Zen.

If you're not interested in accessories and are only going to listen to your player with earphones, then Creative's products seem to be very good and come at a lower price.

Lifes-A-Blast
10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Hey All Tech Heads- Slow down a bit, I still have dial-up since I can't afford DSL or other high speed(out of work) and I won't deal with Freaking Comcast the general whore in my area. I don't download because of dial-up. I have no digital music machine to speak of -i-pods or clones, I still burn custom or complication cd's for my self and for friends.I still run a pent3 Sony Vaio 30GB laptop w/ dvd rom/cd-rw that runs slow at times( could be sound card software outofdate???? and suggestions. I have over 1200 comercial CD's in the library plus some 250-300 copied personal titles or comps. Since I have been out of work for more than 1.5 yrs (Automotive business just sucks around here freaking GM and their inept management) I can't affor to tool around town aimlessly at 2.70-3.00 a gallon.
So my portalbillity is still CD / radio in the car. I can't afford sattilite radio subscribtions but since I'm an AOL and directv member XM variiants are available. I don't own any PDA's Blackberry's , no camera phones, or any other stylish electronic gizmos, No gameboys, x-boxes, ps2's etc. I do have a cell phone , basic model for emergencies only and when my land line is tied up to the computer. No ringtones ,hate those mothers!!! annoying as hell.Nasty sounding .
So where am I going ??? Crazy that's where.
Too much technology for the idiot masses........Can you say SUV????
Thanks for the scream. Life 2005

newtrix1
10-14-2005, 07:31 AM
I stopped at a Radioshack last night and asked a few questions. The Nano uses a USB connection on the bottom, so no, it will not dock directly into the pre-existing peripherals which are currently available for the other i-Pod units. Just my opinion, but I think that was a dumb mistake on Apples part.
I was fairly sold on the Nano, but now I'm not sure....