Hope this ain't worn out but... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hope this ain't worn out but...

J*E*Cole
10-12-2005, 02:01 PM
let's do soundtracks for a minute...

Your favorites 1,2,3, etc...

Dusty Chalk
10-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Ghost in the Shell
Koyaanisqatsi
Twin Peaks
Pink Panther (yes, with all the easy listening cheesiness -- it's a "I-grew-up-with-it" thing)
I like most of Quentin Tarantino's

I'm sure there are others I can't think of.

Not Gladiator -- didn't mind it, it's just not something to which I go back...much.

There's a moment in Aliens that I really love (on the soundtrack, it's called "Hypersleep")

Stone
10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
(1) Repo Man
(2) The Harder They Come

3-LockBox
10-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Almost Famous - loved the movie...wished it had happened to me...glad it happened to someone. This soundtrack hooked me up with what has to be the greatest pop song ever written, *Feel Flow* by the Beach Boys.

Singles - made Seattle look cool and exciting (its actually quite boring). This soundtrack focuses on Seattle area talent; since the movie is set in early '90s Seattle, it only makes sense, and it gives the movie a cohesiveness it may have lacked otherwise. It boasts a great tracklist and is a good compilation representing the Seattle grunge scene. A movie sub-plot features a fictional grunge band, called Citizen Dick (my favorite band name of all time). PS- the movie is just OK

Lost Boys - some songs may sound a tad linked to the year in which this movie came out (1987), but this is mostly obscure artists mixed with obscure songs from well-known artists. It maintains an etherial aestetic throughout. Echo & The Bunnymen turn in a great cover of The Doors' *People Are Strange*. The movie hasn't held up that well though; looks like a long string of MTV videos.

BinFrog
10-13-2005, 03:50 AM
Singles
Animal House
The Crow
Pulp Fiction

HMs:

Dead Man Walking
Garden State
Judgement Night (back in the day this kicked serious a**)
Reservoir Dogs
Twin Peaks (Angelo Badalamenti creates creepy music like nobody can)
Chicago Cab

Duds
10-13-2005, 04:42 AM
The Crow
Alone In The Dark
Last Action Hero

Monkey Bones
10-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Always loved Until the End of the World from that quirky early 90s Wim Wenders film. Funny that it's never made it to DVD yet. Kind of a cult classic, almost. Guess it did get a deluxe DVD release in parts of Europe recently so maybe it'll make it here in English speaking NTSC country someday. Guess it's something to do with distribution rights. Too bad, I'd really love to watch it again on a quality screen a few times and try to catch more of the details. Oh well. Anyway, the soundtrack is many of his favorite contemporary artists who were asked to contribute a song. Some original, some reworked, some subsequently appearing on the artist's own records, but all pretty nice.

The Paris, Texas soundtrack by Ry Cooder is a very nice one too. Another quirky but thoughtful Wim Wenders film that didn't make it to DVD until late last year. Still haven't checked it out yet but definitely on my must see list. Very cool movie that I haven't had the pleasure of seeing for many, many years. I don't know if anyone is really making little cinematic treasures like this anymore that have such a lived in feel. Most productions nowadays are just so big and overblown and glitzy. Anyway, I have the soundtrack in the mid 80s big label vinyl version and it sounds great, even though it was probably pressed on recycled auto tires. That's the beauty of just about everything Cooder touches. Think there might've even been an audiophile version at one time later too.

J*E*Cole
10-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Almost Famous - loved the movie...wished it had happened to me...glad it happened to someone. This soundtrack hooked me up with what has to be the greatest pop song ever written, *Feel Flow* by the Beach Boys.

Singles - made Seattle look cool and exciting (its actually quite boring). This soundtrack focuses on Seattle area talent; since the movie is set in early '90s Seattle, it only makes sense, and it gives the movie a cohesiveness it may have lacked otherwise. It boasts a great tracklist and is a good compilation representing the Seattle grunge scene. A movie sub-plot features a fictional grunge band, called Citizen Dick (my favorite band name of all time). PS- the movie is just OK

Lost Boys - some songs may sound a tad linked to the year in which this movie came out (1987), but this is mostly obscure artists mixed with obscure songs from well-known artists. It maintains an etherial aestetic throughout. Echo & The Bunnymen turn in a great cover of The Doors' *People Are Strange*. The movie hasn't held up that well though; looks like a long string of MTV videos.

Yeah, I have owned the Lost Boys one for many years now, and I remember it to be very good, however, like you said, upon replaying the disc the other day, I couldn't help but notice how it drips with the 80's, not that that's a bad thing, just makes me realize that time is just a passin... WOW, really takes me back. Then I ran across another 80's ST for The Secret of My Success, and I replayed it, and again, soooo 80's, but if nothing else, like all things David Foster touches, it sounds TERRIFIC, excellent recording.

Jim Clark
10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Clueless is an all time fave, and how could it not be: The Muffs, Smoking Popes, Lightning Seeds, Velocity Girl, Jill Sobule (and that track is so cool I wasted years trying to find another from her that was anywhere near as good - Karen By Night - close but no ceegar)

Umm, uhh, I"m drawing blanks. I always thought Davey's suggestion of Until The End Of The World was pretty awesome. That was when Alternative still meant something and most of this stuff was still on the fringes with a couple of notable exceptions.

I'll think of something else later.

jc

Troy
10-13-2005, 09:48 PM
I prefer scores to soundtracks. A semi random pile of previously released singles is a soundtrack. The music (usually instrumental) written specifically to enhance the film is the score.

Scores:
Blade Runner
You Only Live Twice
Thunderball
In Like Flint/Our Man Flint
North By Northwest
Le Femme Nikita
Lawrence of Arabia
Grand Prix

Dusty Chalk
10-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Actually, that's what soundtracks are. Don't fall for marketing.

And...how could I have forgotten Blade Runner?!?!?

Should add:
Chariots of Fire
Risky Business
The Keep (not available, but most material is on Logos)
Legend

nobody
10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Just a couple off the top of my head I didn't see mentioned...

Suburbia - the 80s flick not the one in the 90s...not sure if there was any music in that one or not really, but the 80-s one ha Richard Hung himself and some good TSOL stuff along with some nice film score kinda thingies)

Decline of Western Civilization - more possible confusion...the original, not Part 2: The Metal Years version, the original has great live stuff from X, FEAR, and more...still trying to figure out what EAT MY FUK means

Trainspotting - I think that should be simple enough, great mix of glammy Bowie/Lou Reed with some Dancey stuff like New Order tossed as well as some brit pop like Pulp.

Grteat Rock 'n' Roll Swindle - lots of fun stuff in a chatoic mess of a soundtrack to match a chaotic mess of a movie

Ray - c'mon, its Ray Charles..I could also add Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll: the Chuck Berry Movie...or That Buddy Holly Movie

Blue Hawaii - Yes, I even like Elvis when he gets cheesy

Hyfi
10-14-2005, 12:39 PM
I prefer scores to soundtracks. A semi random pile of previously released singles is a soundtrack. The music (usually instrumental) written specifically to enhance the film is the score.

Scores:
Blade Runner
You Only Live Twice
Thunderball
In Like Flint/Our Man Flint
North By Northwest
Le Femme Nikita
Lawrence of Arabia
Grand Prix

Anything Clarke is involved in is good but I'm going with "Passenger 57". There are some spots that are not quite music but, they will test your speakers, and house foundation given the right system.

Slosh
10-14-2005, 03:04 PM
What? I'm the only one with the SLC Punk soundtrack?

linky:
http://www.lyricsondemand.com/soundtracks/s/slcpunklyrics/

Duds
11-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Maximum Overdrive?

LeoFenderBender
11-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Patton
How to Make an American Quilt
Jesus of Nazareth

These all have good music in them - Patton is inspirational (from my days in OCS). As mentioned earlier, the Predator sound track has good music on it too in parts...

Swish
11-03-2005, 02:18 PM
that great movie about a guy (John Cusack) who owned a record store where most of the dweebs on this board would love to shop. I really dug that movie.

And how about that "Pump Up the Volume"and "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou", which got way too much hype shortly after the movie was released and it totally ruined it for me.

Swish

Hyfi
11-03-2005, 03:41 PM
I just watched a bizzar movie that I think may have been John Ritters last called Man of The Year. Quite a strange story with constant multi screen shots and throughout the flick some great jamming jazz. The only performer I recognized on the credit list was Eric Marienthal on Sax.

I'm thinking the soundtrack is far better than the movie itself.

BinFrog
11-04-2005, 05:07 AM
I just watched a bizzar movie that I think may have been John Ritters last called Man of The Year. Quite a strange story with constant multi screen shots and throughout the flick some great jamming jazz. The only performer I recognized on the credit list was Eric Marienthal on Sax.

I'm thinking the soundtrack is far better than the movie itself.

I thought his last movie was Bad Santa?

ToddL
11-04-2005, 06:10 AM
Igby goes down
Clueless
Angus

Hyfi
11-04-2005, 07:22 AM
I thought his last movie was Bad Santa?

We are both wrong.

What a list of credits he has.

# Clifford's Really Big Movie (2004) (voice) .... Clifford the Big Red Dog
# Bad Santa (2003) .... Bob Chipeska
... aka Badder Santa (USA: longer version) (USA: longer version)
# Manhood (2003) .... Eli
# "8 Simple Rules... for Dating My Teenage Daughter" (2002) TV Series .... Paul Hennessy (2002-2003)
... aka 8 Simple Rules (USA: new title)
# Man of the Year (2002/I) .... Bill
# Tadpole (2002) .... Stanley Grubman
# Nuncrackers (2001) (V) .... Narrator
# "Clifford the Big Red Dog" (2000) TV Series (voice) .... Clifford the Big Red Dog (2000-2003)
# Terror Tract (2000) .... Bob Carter (segment "Make Me An Offer")
... aka The House on Terror Tract (USA: MIFED title)
# TripFall (2000) .... Tom Williams
# Lost in the Pershing Point Hotel (2000) .... Christian Therapist
# Panic (2000) .... Dr. Josh Parks

# Lethal Vows (1999) (TV) .... Dr. David Farris
# It Came From the Sky (1999) (TV) .... Donald Bridges
... aka Visiteurs impromtus, Les (Canada: French title)
# Holy Joe (1999) (TV) .... Joe Cass
... aka Man of Miracles (Europe: English title)
# Dead Husbands (1998) (TV) .... Dr. Carter Elston
... aka Last Man on the List
# The World's Greatest Magic 5 (1998) (TV) .... Host
# Bride of Chucky (1998) .... Police Chief Warren Kincaid
# I Woke Up Early the Day I Died (1998) .... Robert Forrest
... aka Ed Wood's I Woke Up Early the Day I Died
... aka I Awoke Early the Day I Died (USA)
# Shadow of Doubt (1998) .... Steven Mayer
... aka Reasonable Doubt
# Chance of a Lifetime (1998) (TV) .... Tom Maguire
# Montana (1998) .... Dr. Wexler
... aka Nothing Personal (Australia: video title)
# Hacks (1997/I) .... Hank
... aka Sink or Swim (USA: video title)
... aka The Big Twist (USA)
# A Gun, a Car, a Blonde (1997) .... Duncan/The Bartender
# Nowhere (1997) .... Moses Helper
# Dead Man's Gun (1997) (TV) .... Harry McDonacle (segment "The Great McDonacle")
# A Child's Wish (1997) (TV) .... Ed Chandler
... aka A Fight for Justice (UK)
# Mercenary (1997) (TV) .... Jonas Ambler
# Loss of Faith (1997) (TV) .... Bruce Simon Barker
... aka Au coeur de la vérité le mensonge (Canada: French title)
... aka The Truth About Lying (Canada: English title: cable TV title)
# For Hope (1996) (TV) (uncredited) .... Date #5
# Sling Blade (1996) .... Vaughan Cunningham
# Unforgivable (1996) (TV) .... Paul Hegstrom
# The Colony (1995) (TV) .... Rick Knowlton
# Gramps (1995) (TV) .... Clarke MacGruder
... aka Lethal Intent
# North (1994) .... Ward Nelson
# The Only Way Out (1993) (TV) .... Jeremy Carlisle
# Heartbeat (1993) (TV) .... Bill Grant
... aka Danielle Steel's 'Heartbeat' (UK)
# "Hearts Afire" (1992) TV Series .... John Hartman
# Stay Tuned (1992) .... Roy Knable
# Noises Off... (1992) .... Garry Lejeune/Roger Tramplemain
# "Fish Police" (1992) TV Series (voice) .... Inspector Gil
# Problem Child 2 (1991) .... Ben Healy
# The Summer My Father Grew Up (1991) (TV) .... Paul
# The Real Story of O Christmas Tree (1991) (V) .... Piney
# The Dreamer of Oz (1990) (TV) .... L. Frank Baum
... aka The Dreamer of Oz: The L. Frank Baum Story
# It (1990) (TV) .... Ben 'Haystack' Hanscom
... aka Stephen King's It (USA: complete title)
# Problem Child (1990) .... 'Little' Ben Healy

# My Brother's Wife (1989) (TV) .... Barney
# Skin Deep (1989) .... Zachary 'Zach' Hutton
# Tricks of the Trade (1988/I) (TV) .... Donald Todsen (Cameo)
# Mickey's 60th Birthday (1988) (TV) .... Reporter
... aka Mickey's 60th Birthday Anniversary Shorts Programme (USA: video title)
# "Hooperman" (1987) TV Series .... Detective Harry Hooperman
# Prison for Children (1987) (TV) .... David Royce
# The Last Fling (1987) (TV) .... Phillip Reed
# Real Men (1987) .... Bob Wilson/Agent Hilbox, CIA
# A Smoky Mountain Christmas (1986) (TV) .... Judge Harold Benton
# Unnatural Causes (1986/I) (TV) .... Frank Coleman
# Living Seas (1986) (TV) .... Host
... aka Disney's Living Seas (USA: complete title)
# Letting Go (1985) (TV) .... Alex
# "Three's a Crowd" (1984) TV Series .... Jack Tripper
... aka Three's Company Too (syndication title)
# Love Thy Neighbor (1984) (TV) .... Danny Loeb
# Sunset Limousine (1983) (TV) .... Alan O'Black
# In Love with an Older Woman (1982) (TV) .... Robert
# Pray TV (1982) (TV) .... Tom McPherson
... aka Mixed Blessings
# The Flight of Dragons (1982) .... Peter Dickenson
... aka Flight of the Dragon
# They All Laughed (1981) .... Charles Rutledge
# Wholly Moses! (1980) .... Satan (The Devil)
# Hero at Large (1980) .... Steve Nichols
# The Comeback Kid (1980) (TV) .... Bubba Newman

# Americathon (1979) .... President Chet Roosevelt
# Leave Yesterday Behind (1978) (TV) .... Paul Stallings
# Breakfast in Bed (1978) .... Paul
# Ringo (1978) (TV) .... Marty
# "Three's Company" (1977) TV Series .... Jack Tripper
# Nickelodeon (1976) .... Franklin Frank
# The Night That Panicked America (1975) (TV) .... Walter Wingate
# "The Waltons" (1972) TV Series .... Rev. Matthew Fordwick (1973-1976)
# The Stone Killer (1973) .... Officer Mort
... aka Assassino di pietra, L' (Italy)
# Bachelor-at-Law (1973) (TV) .... Ben Sykes
# The Other (1972) .... Rider
# Evil Roy Slade (1972) (TV) .... Minister
# Scandalous John (1971) .... Wandell
# The Barefoot Executive (1971) .... Roger

# Crazy World, Crazy People (1968) (TV) .... Various characters

BinFrog
11-04-2005, 09:49 AM
We are both wrong.

What a list of credits he has.

# Clifford's Really Big Movie (2004) (voice) .... Clifford the Big Red Dog
# Bad Santa (2003) .... Bob Chipeska
... aka Badder Santa (USA: longer version) (USA: longer version)
# Manhood (2003) .... Eli
# "8 Simple Rules... for Dating My Teenage Daughter" (2002) TV Series .... Paul Hennessy (2002-2003)
... aka 8 Simple Rules (USA: new title)
# Man of the Year (2002/I) .... Bill

etc etc etc

Yeah, but I was closer ;)

Hyfi
11-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah, but I was closer ;)You sure were. I didn't see the date on the movie and they had it with the New Releases.

Anyway, did you or anyone else see Man Of The Year. Pretty wild and strange film.

BinFrog
11-04-2005, 11:44 AM
You sure were. I didn't see the date on the movie and they had it with the New Releases.

Anyway, did you or anyone else see Man Of The Year. Pretty wild and strange film.

I have not seen it. Recommended?

Hyfi
11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I have not seen it. Recommended?

If you like Jazz...Yes. You can always walk away and enjoy the music. This movie would remind you of a low budget film festival type flick. There are almost always multiple camera shots sise by side or in 4s. See John Ritter snort cocaine and more. Not at all what I expected but ....